Thread: Training for a power lifting competition, change anything? page

Primal Fuel

I follow the PB 6/7 days of the week, with a refeed on Saturday nights. I have been bodybuilding for about 2 years now, but starting tomorrow with my trainer, I will be training for a power lifting competition.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything I should change in my diet, or just keep things the same?

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

Cool. Good luck with your competition. I am not a power lifter but I love strength training. Power lifting is a much different arena than bodybuilding with different goals. It is not about looking good or necessarily even being the "strongest" it is about completing the lift with as much weight possible. Technique will be critical - you will want to use every mechanical advantage to complete the lift. And if you truly want to move as much weight as possible being strong helps . To get strong you need to give your body the best opportunity to recover, rebuild and stimulate growth. To do that you simply need to lift more, eat more, and sleep more. It is simple but that is what it boils down too, the hard part and art of it is making that happen.

Is it possible to do both? Train for a power lifting competition AND maintain a bodybuilder's build, maybe even increase muscle mass with the change in training?

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

Of course, if you want to do both you can. You certainly don't have to abandon one to do the other. I mean, there can and should be a ton of carry-over between the two disciplines but it is always harder to try to do two separate things at once. With that said, there will be certain compromises and accommodations you will have to make.

One way to avert this problematic duality is to decrease the disparity between the two disciplines; synchronize or hybridize the two philosophies - make them complementary, focus on the things that achieve the greatest amount of utility within both pursuits and fuse them into one philosophy.

Thats how I would choose to look at it. I am sure your trainer will have more practical advice and knowledge. Even if you do solely dedicate yourself to power lifting and do everything in your power to achieve the greatest total, chances are it will benefit your bodybuilding goals too - all strength training is complementary and aesthetics tend to naturally follow a good strength training regimen.

Thanks Taydato! You're right. Tonight we did chest press, squat, and deadlifts, but finished off with skull crushers and incline biceps, a good mix I say!

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

PrimalCon New York

PJAP - I'd recommend signing up to tmuscle.com and visit the Powerful Women forum - there are a lot of heavy lifting ladies there including a few competitive power lifters who will help you out. It's quite a, ah, mature forum in terms of language and topics people discuss in their training logs but it's a fun place to hang out.

nb: it's not possible to lose muscle if you're benching, deadlifting and squatting heavy loads. It may be harder to maintain the level of leanness you are used to. Most people find they are stronger when they are carrying a bit more fat (although that's not license to eat yourself into a coma. Obviously you have a weight class to make).