Thread: Menopause, muscles, and weight gain page

healthymom is offline Junior Member

Menopause, muscles, and weight gain

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I am new to this site. I have researched and studied the effects of menopause on women for years because I knew one day I would be there...................well I'm there. The biggest challenge I face is I am a "skinny-fat" female. Most every site I read is about women having a challenge with weight gain; however, I have been on a Paleo/Primal/Ancestral diet off and on for many years (12+)and believe that has been the reason for not gaining an excessive amount of weight during the hormonal shift. Has any female had success with increased muscle/decreased fat after menopause? I am 5'2" and weight 110 lbs. Running had always been my passion in the past, but find I enjoy circuit training and outdoor activities much more. It is not that I want to be a body builder; however, I would enjoy having a nice light all-body definition along with feeling stronger. I am not a big eater and take in approximately 12-1300 calories/day - somewhere along the lines of 40-30-30 (C-P-F). I am thinking I need to cut down the fat and increase my protein, but my digestion can get a little stressed with too much protein at one time. Any thoughts?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm 48 (almost 49) and just beginning perimenopause. I've been primal for two months, have dropped 13.5 lbs (on top of 11 I dropped doing a CW diet from Jan-March.) I am, however, quite a bit heavier than you at 162 lbs. I need to lose at least another 20 lbs before I see much definition, I think.

I've been doing some bodyweight exercise, and can definitely see the beginnings of biceps. I bought some dumbbells yesterday, so give me a month or so and I'll let you know about the rest of my muscles
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    Carrie (Mark Sisson's wife) went Primal after menopause. Do a search for her on the blog.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Carrie (Mark Sisson's wife) went Primal after menopause. Do a search for her on the blog.
    Or, just look inside the back cover of a copy of the Primal Blueprint! She's in incredible shape. I can only aspire to that.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals