Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Improvement in mental illness :) page

Nion is offline Senior Member

Improvement in mental illness :)

I know i've seen a couple people around here say they are Bipolar, or Schizophrenic.
    I have Borderline personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which is kinda like Bipolar on hi speed with some abandonment issues thrown in for good measure!
    Anyway, my point is: Has anyone else noticed an improvement in their mental issues since starting primal?
    I've been doing this roughly a month, and before, i used to have severe mood swings daily, and constant anxiety - but now, i feel pretty good most of the time!

My depression is pretty much gone.
    Anxiety issues have lightened considerably, which before were crippling
    I'm not so goddamn angry all the time, although it's still there, it's in the back of my head.
    I'm also obnoxiously happy and energetic to the point where it's weirding people out :P
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Check out this thread. Congrats on the changes.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26139.html

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I know that some people with mental illness don't do well on a primal-type diet so it's fabulous that it's working for you
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I know that some people with mental illness don't do well on a primal-type diet so it's fabulous that it's working for you

Quote Originally Posted by bwhit View Post
    Check out this thread. Congrats on the changes.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26139.html
    I will, thanks!
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I have had depression and anxiety issues in the past, but I have not had any problems while on primal (without any medication too, which is awesome). I am actually feeling like I am able to deal with some prior emotional crap that I haven`t looked at in ages, which is super great.

I am glad to hear your BPD is doing well. My grandma (currently 98!) has BPD, and maintaining a good relationship with her has been pretty difficult at times. I may see if I can point her towards the primal diet. Her anxiety makes her life pretty miserable sometimes, as I am sure you can understand.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Many of us have had major improvements in mood stability and affect since adopting a primal/paleo diet.

Emily Deans blog Evolutionary Psychiatry is worth reading. Every. Single. Post.

Evolutionary Psychiatry

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Can the undiagnosed schizos chime in? No, I still have trouble eating food prepared by others and I don't even trust my mother. I blockade my door every night, but then again my roommate did threaten me (and I did tell him I'd rip his heart out...).
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    The only upside is that I realise I'm insane on an intellectual level and can manage it.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I have self-diagnosed myself to have suffered from life-long bipolar and borderline Asperger's. The last time I talked to a therapist (for what I felt were panic attacks, she said, in so many words, "why are you wasting my time?" I feel that primal has helped with these issues, but there could be other reasons I feel better.

Bipolar: Depression was not the main issue. Periods of being manic and doing inappropriate things were serious issues. They are still lurking but under control. One reason a take a very skeptical approach to primal is that it has been so easy for me to get manic. But it feels like a fog has lifted from my brain. I don't see myself engaging in inappropriate behavior now.

Asperger's: On tests for this, I score borderline if I answer the way I would have most of my life. No empathy at all, despite really wanting and trying to be a loving person. Almost total inability to look at someone's face. If I tried, my body would scream "Get me out of here!!!" Now, I feel like I have great empathy and I find it easy to look at people's faces, usually.

Whatever the reason for the changes, I'm happy with them. I think proper nutrition has been a big factor.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

prairiedog is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had some mood issues in the past - depression. I think its something that comes and goes in my life in phases but I find when I am sticking to primal well my mood enhances to levels that I haven't experienced on the SAD. When I go off primal or slip up I find I go into a slow but steady descent back into the fog and depression.
    Primal Living since Jan 4/11
    http://prairieprimal.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast