Thread: Cheating just a little page

Glenn is offline Senior Member

Cheating just a little

I've been on primal + stronglifts 5x5 for almost a month and a half now. Everything is going great, I'm losing weight every week and my lifts are going up 5lb each workout. I've lifted on and off as a hobby for years but never combined it with diet.

Anyway, I started light on all the lifts because it's better to start too light then too heavy. Still easily throwing around some of the lifts. Squats are starting to push me this week but the lift that really has me trying is the overhead press. I've never done this one before and started it with stronglifts.

Today I bumped it up to 115lbs and on the second set I was actually really pushing to complete the last two reps. On the third set I used a staggered stance and when I went to go lift it I slightly bent and extended my knees to build a small amount of momentum. This worked out great and I pretty much blasted through the next three sets.

So I guess what I want to know, or be reassured of, is that is doing that ok? The way I figure it is that it's ok to cheat just a tad and create that small amount of momentum if it means I get to keep adding 5lbs more each workout.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    No. It's not. What you are doing is half a press and half a push-press. If you want to do a push press do a push press. If you want to press, press.

If you can't add the weight each week, then you need to plateau for a little while and then try to add more. Or, try some non-linear strategy (Texas, 5/3/1, what have you) to bust through the plateau. But the goal is to get strong, not to increase the numbers. You don't get strong by pushing up with your legs, unless that is the lift you are trying to do.

I had completely forgotten about the push press. I knew it was too good to be true lol. Oh well, thanks for clearing that up. Back to strict form overhead press on Wednesday. And yea, if I get to where I can't complete the set with strict form then I will deload 20% and continue on.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You can lay your shoulders back a bit more to get better leverage from the start position, but from hips on down you have to lock out your lower body. otherwise it's not a press. Nothing wrong with de-loading, and soon you'll want to get 1.25 lb plates to help your progress along. Finally, 3x5 works just as well as 5x5 (secret tip). The extra two sets don't really do much extra except beat you up.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    gotta love the fractional plates! Agree with TFarny on both parts. I do 3x5 on my lifts (other than 1x5 on the DL). I also worry that 5x5 is a recipe for overuse injuries, but I'm also older and more subject to those.

Thanks for the tips guys. Yea, I've read that 3x5 is better, especially since it means you can keep adding weight longer before you start hitting plateaus. I just happen to pick a certain plan I think it will work out. basically I'm using 5x5 until I plateau on most of the lifts, then I will deload and drop down to 3x5 and plateau on that, then drop to 5/3/1. Another reason I'm sticking to 5x5 for now is that I'm not having any trouble recovering from the volume (yet lol).

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    One thing not mentioned is that when you stagger one foot forward, over time you can develop muscular imbalances. So, always keep your feet aligned with one another.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the warning Velocity. Luckily I only used the staggered stance during those last three sets. Before that (and from now on) I've always used a strict form with feet aligned about shoulder width apart.