Thread: Inverted rows with a pull up bar? page

Roy G. Biv is offline Junior Member

Inverted rows with a pull up bar?

Primal Fuel
    I was watching some youtube videos of some folks playing around with thier Iron Gym pullup bar (same one I have) and I noticed some of them doing weird variations of pullups where they tuck their knees and flip over so their body is upside down and then they pull up, or where they hold their body straight out parallel to the ground and do pullps (that seems really hard!). I tried to google search it to find out what it was, but the closest thing I could find is an exercise called inverted rows where you pull up on a squat barbell in a power rack with your feet supported by a stool.

Can anyone link me to a page or explain to me how I could do this exercise properly with JUST a pullup bar and nothing supporting my feet? It seems like the angle would hit your lats more directly than a regular pullup, and it may work your chest too. Is it a better exercise than the pullup, or just a useless variation?
    “Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” ~ Aristotle

What is Spartan Strength?

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Check out Al Kavadlo's site. I'm sure he's got something like that there.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'd personally get a set of gymnastics rings you can attach to a pullup bar.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    Check out Al Kavadlo's site. I'm sure he's got something like that there.
    I sure do! It's called a front lever and it requires tremendous strength. I'm going to be putting together a video tutorial on it as well at some point. A pull-up from this position is simply called a front lever pull-up or, if the legs are tucked, a tucked front lever pull-up.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Hey thanks Al! I literally JUST found the front lever on your site and was on my way back to post about it. Now that I have a specific name for it, in your opinion would the front lever pull up blast your lats harder than that a regular pullup because of the angle, or are they pretty much the same (excluding the core strength it takes to hold the lever in the first place)?
    “Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” ~ Aristotle

Front lever pull-ups are waaaay harder than regular pull-ups - not just for the core strength but also for the back strength.

Start with a tucked front lever pull-up and see if you can do that and build slowly from there. I still can't do a proper front lever pull-up without my hips bending. I can, however, do this:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I have to confess my man-crush on Al Kavadlo. He rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    +1!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Oof, front levers hurt! In a good way, in a “how…can…you…hold…this…for…more…than…two…seco nds…” type way. I can hold a straddle front lever but only for about 5 seconds, so I’m still working on tuck front lever with straight back. Dragonflags help a lot with this...

This is a pretty good write-up on working up to a full front lever and full planche as well (I’m finding planche to be MUCH harder than front lever right now…)

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/b...g/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    +1!

Aww shucks, guys - thanks!