Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: soooo hungry!!??? page

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member

Question soooo hungry!!???

Primal Fuel
    I know I know... you are all probably rolling your eyes. Not another one of THESE posts. I read these posts all the time and think - "more fat"... "fewer carbs"... whatever.

I've been primal for almost two years. Prior to that, I ate a traditional foods diet - so I'm not a stranger to high fat/moderate protein eating... the only thing that changed were the carbs. I lost weight quickly and have maintained effortlessly.

I'm in the midst of working on losing the last bit of body fat - I've recently gained a fair bit of muscle & strength(over the past year, quite steadily but more consistently gaining muscle weight since January). This has translated to 8 lbs on the scale, and my clothes are fitting much tighter. I can see muscle definition - and I don't feel any "fatter" - given my fitness regime & recent strength gains, I'd say this is muscle gain for sure. Of course, with the extra muscle - I'm thinking its time for the last bit of extra fat to go (I'd guess I'm sitting between 25-30% and would like to get to between 20-25%. )

I'm fairly strictly primal, although I have been eating a fair amount of fruit since January. I've begun eating with more adherence to Mark's weight loss suggestions (I figured out my caloric requirement which came in at about 2200 using the Harris Benedict equation) since Monday, and I've cut all fruit except for berries. I eat very little dairy (yogurt, butter, heavy cream), and moderate amounts of protein (about 1g/kilo of body weight - which is close to 70g/day). I do eat sweet potato, and have done so for the entire time I've been primal - I enjoy it a fair bit!

I've just completed the whole30 as well.. but ate a fair amount of fruit during my 30 days...

I practice yoga daily (I'm currently in a teacher training course) - with physically challenging practices about 2-3 times a week, I workout (sprint, lht, plyo) once a week (have been regular about this for about 2 months now - with the past two weeks being more intense), and a fair bit of walking.

I'm starving!!! I feel hunger pangs pretty much all day. Even right after eating! I never really feel satiated by the food I'm eating. I'm going on Day 3 of this. I started tracking yesterday to see if I could see something in my food intake... but I can't figure out why I'm so hungry.

I'm thinking this is definitely hormone related... although, maybe I need a higher caloric intake? I want to keep fat at 60%, and I don't want to eat too much protein... and well, I do/feel better on a 50 - 75 g carb intake... My caloric intake hasn't really changed a whole lot though, I usually eat between 1600-1800 cal/day. I have higher calorie days and lower - and rarely fast for longer than 12-13 hrs.

I do keep an eating window of about 8am-6-7pm most days.

I've also been experiencing PMDD, perhaps perimenopause? (I'm 37) I was reading the "venus revisited" stuff on primal wisdom, some of which resonated with me. I think much of paleo/primal eating is based on a male model (as most nutrition/wellness science...), so this line of thinking has sort of peaked my interest a bit. Perhaps women do have a different response to a high fat diet?

I dunno... I'm usually able to figure this stuff out. But, I'm stumped this time. I enjoy reading the wide variety of advice here, so I thought I'd ask.

Anyway... first thing - deal with hunger. NOW. I just ate two coconut pancakes, 1/4 cup berries, 2 tbsp. whipping cream, 1/2 tbsp. butter & two cups of tea with 1 1/2 tbsp. coconut milk... and I'm feeling famished!! WTF?

Then... find a way to shed a few lbs of body fat but not complicate things too much!

(oh, i supplement with magnesium citrate, vitamin d, b12 & fish oil)

Here are my fit day numbers from yesterday - I did have a wild boar smokie with no fillers, not the oscar meyer one (eww) but I don't have nutritional info for the smokie I did eat and that was the closest I could find.

thoughts??
    Last edited by nocturnalmama; 05-13-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: adding in the right image...
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

jdjohnson50 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalmama View Post
    I know I know... you are all probably rolling your eyes. Not another one of THESE posts. I read these posts all the time and think - "more fat"... "fewer carbs"... whatever.

thoughts??
    Eat more. Your caloric requirement is 2200 and your eating 1600-1800. You will be hungry doing this so eat more.

Keep good fats at 75%.
    Eat more protien: 1g/bl lean body mass.
    Less fruit more starchy tubers if you need the carbs.

I think that makes sense.... it does... thing is, I've ALWAYS eaten like this - the only thing that has changed since Monday has been a drop in fruit intake. (I used to eat pineapple, grapes, melon... like LOTS of fruit all day)

I am wondering... on Tuesday, I had a really STRONG, great workout. I did sprints, some box jumps and was able to increase time on planks and lbs on weights. Is is possible that my BMR was effected by ONE workout? I know working out makes you hungry, a la Gary Taubes... but I've really only experienced the hunger on the day of, not lingering for days....

I certainly do not have a problem with eating more... its a pretty simple solution. An example of this is the salad I ate yesterday - it was MASSIVE and I was STILL hungry pretty much right after eating it? Is that not totally strange?
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Are you pregnant? If so, congrats!

If not, I would have a "feast day" once a week. Similar to a carb re-feed, but I don't track macros. I just eat until I am full and trust my body to work things out. It's a way to boost leptin levels without stressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Are you pregnant? If so, congrats!

If not, I would have a "feast day" once a week. Similar to a carb re-feed, but I don't track macros. I just eat until I am full and trust my body to work things out. It's a way to boost leptin levels without stressing.
    nahhh... I'm not pregnant. BUT... this makes sense to say that - my hormones have been completely WACKY over the past few months (I'm pretty sure its perimenopause symptoms). This is why I'm leaning toward hormonal reasons for hunger.

As far as carb refeeds go, I have been reading about this. Although... my carb level is never really all that restricted... usually over 100g/day. I am considering trying this out on my workout day though.

I've been experimenting with eating sweet potato before a strenuous workout (usually before a vinyasa yoga class, or a strength based class) and have found a massive improvement in stamina/performance...
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I've recently found that increasing carbs, and decreasing fat has helped me from being hungry all the time. It doesn't sound logical, but fats just weren't filling me up, and I also wasn't losing any weight. I've gone from 65% fat/25% protein/10% carbs to an even split (33/33/33) and it has definitely decreased hunger, we'll see if it has an effect on weight loss.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I come from a background of eating dessert with nearly every meal (tea and a cookie after breakfast anyone?).

For me, I need something that I see as a treat to tell my brain that meal time is over and to turn off the hunger switch. On primal, that could be frozen berries with coconut milk, some creamed coconut, or a square or two of dark chocolate. It doesn't need to be a lot (some days its more than others) but it does seem to work.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

camel is offline Senior Member
    I figured out I get gnawing, persistant hunger when I eat things I am sensitive to. If I have even the smallest amount of artificial sweetener I am hungry all day, even when my stomach is full. Coffee also makes me feel "hungry". I'm trying to track what triggers my hunger. Its pretty unnerving and frustrating to be hungry after you finish a meal!

Some people also get "hunger" from digestive issues. Do you have any trouble with acid relux or indigestion?

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I figured out I get gnawing, persistant hunger when I eat things I am sensitive to. If I have even the smallest amount of artificial sweetener I am hungry all day, even when my stomach is full. Coffee also makes me feel "hungry". I'm trying to track what triggers my hunger. Its pretty unnerving and frustrating to be hungry after you finish a meal!

Some people also get "hunger" from digestive issues. Do you have any trouble with acid relux or indigestion?
    hmmm... stevia?

digestion is good.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So why don't you eat more calories?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast