Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I only eat once a day, and quite alot aswell! page

evilbeaver is offline Junior Member

I only eat once a day, and quite alot aswell!

Shop Now
    Hello cavemen!

I am a beginner at this paleo thing, and right now i am experimenting with Intermittent fasting.
    My way of doing IF is to eat only once a day, most likely at breakfast time, and I eat ALOT.

Today i ate for breakfat(i write in grams since I am swedish)
    250 gram of cow meat
    six big eggs
    140 gram of bacon
    a handful of walnuts
    A big load of veggies
    And also a whole hallumi chesse, a whooping 200 gram!(i know you shold avoid dairy, but i love hallumi!)

I this was almost 12 hours ago and i have no hunger and my goal is to not eat until tomorrow night, my fist 36 hour fast!
    Is this the way to do IF, eat a gigantic meal and go for a day, or should you just eat a normal size meal and go for a day?
    A little love and affection in everything you do

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Eat until you feel full, not stuffed.

Take your time, especially if you are new to fasting. It took me 4 months to progress to one meal a day.

ps I am a cave woman. There are a lot of us here!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Many different ways to fast.

I fast for about 16hrs daily, then have two meals. If it’s a workout day I eat at 1pm and then again after a workout around 7pm. If it’s a rest day I’m starting a longer fasting schedule where I will eat my first meal around 5pm. I did this yesterday without issues (I even did a light workout during my lunch break) and experienced almost no hunger. I’m doing this as a way to let my body burn more free fatty acids on days when I’m less active and don’t really require any pre-workout nutrition. I wasn’t hungry yesterday, but I also wasn’t up to a heavy workout, but that doesn’t happen when I have a pre-workout meal at 1pm then do my regular training at 6 or so.

I find that my first meal NEEDS to be small or it “sits” in my stomach for longer than I’d like. Then I have another meal which is larger. Based on this (and I’m going to give it a few more weeks to see how it goes) I doubt I could be one of those “one meal a day” fasters because it’s not very comfortable to be really full.

I also can’t just eat to satiety once a day because it wouldn’t be enough food to sustain me or my activities, two meals works perfectly for me. On weekends I’m likely to have breakfast and stuff though (mostly for social reasons and because I enjoy a proper breakfast too) it’s much easier to fast during the work week.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Ditto to a lot of what iniQuity said. I think it's good/ok if you have one meal a day, some people are pretty disposed to it (probably your case). If it was me, I would be dragging my ass all day. I'm doing 2 meals a day and I sometimes consider going back to a 3 meals a day. For now I'll stick with 2 meals though.

Allright, iniquity, sounds cool

Perhaps i sould try that, however i like this concept of only eating once a day and since i am resting after a stubborn cold i dont exercise this week, so i decided to try eating only once a day and i like it.

When my training starts again im gonna try only to drink some whey protein and maybe a fruit prior to the workout, then som whey afterwards then head home for the big feast.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    See how you feel, it’s all about experimenting and finding out how YOU feel best, not what some other person says SHOULD work for you. I wasn’t trying to sway you to do what I do just showing you how people apply fasting to their lives.

I for instance NEVER put fasting before a social event, that’s the reason why I don’t concern myself with fasting on weekends because it’s a chance to enjoy breakfast with family, my girlfriend or friends. It’s also why I choose to skip breakfast and sometimes lunch during the workweek because I don’t care to eat with anybody I work with and I do my own thing when I’m here.

If I was forced to be more sedentary I’m sure a one-meal a day thing would work okay, but I probably would still eat twice because I like to eat =] I would probably just go low carb if I couldn’t exercise, and still eat some carbs once a week or so.

@JPA, you have a history of fatigue or something right? Yeah if I was in your shoes I wouldn’t concern myself with fasting, at least not daily. Honestly I fast now because it’s comfortable and convenient, I mean I like the physiological benefits of it too, but I mostly like NOT having to make breakfast and NOT having to pack lunch daily. It’s very free-ing in that sense.

A long while back I tried a few days of just ONE meal but I didn’t like it, like I said I can’t put away too much food in one sitting (the discomfort that ensues leads me to believe it’s not the safest practice, for ME, I’m sure some of your mutant stomachs are better equipped for it) and since I was eating less I was having a really tough time making it to the next day’s meal so I gave up on that effort.

I’m enjoying how I’m approaching fasting now though.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I don't particularly like the bloated feeling I get from eating big meals, so I do a 15-16 hr fast (6:30 p.m. to 9:30 a.m.) and then eat at 9:30, 12:30, and 5:30-6:00. My total caloric intake over those three meals is about 1600 cals.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    See how you feel, it’s all about experimenting and finding out how YOU feel best, not what some other person says SHOULD work for you. I wasn’t trying to sway you to do what I do just showing you how people apply fasting to their lives.

I for instance NEVER put fasting before a social event, that’s the reason why I don’t concern myself with fasting on weekends because it’s a chance to enjoy breakfast with family, my girlfriend or friends. It’s also why I choose to skip breakfast and sometimes lunch during the workweek because I don’t care to eat with anybody I work with and I do my own thing when I’m here.

If I was forced to be more sedentary I’m sure a one-meal a day thing would work okay, but I probably would still eat twice because I like to eat =] I would probably just go low carb if I couldn’t exercise, and still eat some carbs once a week or so.

@JPA, you have a history of fatigue or something right? Yeah if I was in your shoes I wouldn’t concern myself with fasting, at least not daily. Honestly I fast now because it’s comfortable and convenient, I mean I like the physiological benefits of it too, but I mostly like NOT having to make breakfast and NOT having to pack lunch daily. It’s very free-ing in that sense.

A long while back I tried a few days of just ONE meal but I didn’t like it, like I said I can’t put away too much food in one sitting (the discomfort that ensues leads me to believe it’s not the safest practice, for ME, I’m sure some of your mutant stomachs are better equipped for it) and since I was eating less I was having a really tough time making it to the next day’s meal so I gave up on that effort.

I’m enjoying how I’m approaching fasting now though.
    You remind me a lot of Johnny from Lean Saloon. Life and friends are more important than obsessively adhering to paleo/primal or fasting rules.

Yeah, I'm still recovering... and I'm being stubborn by not eating even more than I should, or at least more frequently.

So i guess the best take on IF is to eat a small meal prior to the workout, then a big one after? Insted of just a shake whey shake before and a meal after training.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i have always wanted to try halloumi cheese... never been able to find it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast