Thread: Protein shakes, diary & my average day... What do you think page

sarok is offline Junior Member

Protein shakes, diary & my average day... What do you think

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all,

I have monitoring these boards for weeks and have been slowly reading Marks book. A week ago I finally decided to give this a go. I have not cut out diary so I am not completely primal and also had my usual protein shake a few times over the week (either for quick breakfast or snack). I use GNC 100% Whey. Just wanted to ask a couple of things about this.

Are people generally for or against dairy (for me eliminating sugar & grains I thought was a big enough step for now - but may consider diary in the future)

AND

with the protein shake, firstly it now tastes almost sickly sweet (bizarrely a week or so ago thought it was nice but not very sweet). And secondly for it to be sweet it clearly has artifical sweetner which Im not too keen on. Whats the general stance on protein shakes and is there an alternative brand I should be using.

Last thing I have been tracking on Livestrong and dont plan to always do it but wanted to start out and make sure I was on track. My average stats over a week for dail consumption was....

Calories 1500,
    Fat 80g,
    Protein 100g,
    Carbs 60g
    Sugar 25g (is that too high - coming from a bit of fruit and milk - or should I just look at carbs).
    Fibre (only around 10 - is that a problem

I am female, 1.68cm, 78kg, 28yrs old (I think that is arounf 5"5 or 5"6 and 180 pounds?) - looking to lose weight but also change my lifestyle

Looking forward to hearing what people think

Thanks
    Sarah

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!
    Looks like you're doing pretty good. Eliminating grains, sugar, and vegetable oils is definitely the most important step. I would say that the majority of people here (myself included) eat some form of dairy. It can be good. Also, Mark is definitely not against protein shakes (see that ad next to your post)? I think they can be helpful if you're very busy or something, but real food is almost always better. Keep it up and feel free to ask any questions.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a fine start, I wouldn't sweat the details too much as stated above. RE: protein shakes, Mark has a whole post on whey, and yeah he sells the stuff too. I'm kind of undecided - they helped me up my calories and protein when I was trying to gain muscle, I would never (and haven't) had even one since then. They are definitely not necessary, and may not be really healthy, but they are convenient. I do think it's better to make your own from scratch: whole milk, whey, banana, cocoa powder / vanilla extract, that kind of thing. Lyle McDonald reviewed research comparing simple chocolate milk versus high tech protein shakes and found the chocolate milk won in every category, fyi.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/