Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Relating to Omega-3 and other nutrients I feel Primal Blueprint misleads on page

wiltondeportes Guest

Relating to Omega-3 and other nutrients I feel Primal Blueprint misleads on

Primal Fuel
    I am going completely based off of nutritiondata.self.com. I realize this is not perfect, but it's an incredible resource. It dispels lots of notions I had about what foods had inside them.

I discovered today that eggs are not the way to go for this nutrient Omega 3. Their Omega 6 is quite high compared to the Omega 3. Same goes for coconut oil!!! I also learned that Oregano, Basil, Spearmint, and Tarragon have very high levels at a 100g weight. I recognize all but Basil were measured when dried, so that can have a skewing effect. The point is that these herbs are powerhouses of nutrients. They dominated spinach in basically all categories. Why not just eat the herbs like they are veggies? They taste good. Between {'Animal' for protein, fat, and energy} , {the occasional root vegetable for a kickstart of starch & energy} , and {these tasty powerful herbs}, it appears you do not need any more. Ruminant brains (beef officially from the website) are also very very high in Omega 3.

I think that we should be taking supplements like fish oil is laughable. The key is finding the most beneficial food. I'm a little lazy and a little unknowledgeable, so I will type my results for you on here. I encourage you to do your own search.

PS-This is a total experiment. I'm not claiming this is the best. Just throwing out numbers...

6 oz beef brain
    6 oz beef heart
    6 oz beef liver
    2 oz carribou bone marrow (only marrow option)
    1 oz fresh basil
    1 oz dried spearmint
    1 oz dried tarragon
    2 oz dried oregano
    150g yam (tacklin' fuel--Waterboy)

1623 calories
    109g protein
    116g carb
    -40g dietary fiber (is this soluble or insoluble?)
    -only 3g sugar
    87g fat
    -11g saturated
    -6g monounsaturated
    -9.5 polyunsaturated
    --6162mg omega 3
    --2300mg omega 6

Vitamin A 768%
    Vitamin C 147%
    Vitamin D 7%
    Vitamin E 76%
    Vitamin K 591%
    Thiamin 90%
    Riboflavin 443%
    Niacin 249%
    Vitamin B6 249%
    Folate 231%
    Vitamin B12 2183%
    Pantothenic Acid 180%

Calcium 172%
    Iron 454%
    Magnesium 137%
    Phosphorus 200%
    Potassium 138%
    Sodium 25%
    Zinc 108%
    Copper 946%
    Manganese 478%
    Selenium 208%
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-12-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I agree in using an abundance of spices aside from our usual spinach, mixed vegetables and salad. But you have to remember that 1 ounce of a particular spice can be quite a lot. 1 ounce is roughly equal to 2 tablespoons and when you are referring to certain spices that may not be palatable for some people. I also agree that people would benefit a lot by including organ meats like livers/hearts/kidneys and of course mineral rich bone marrow.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I agree in using an abundance of spices aside from our usual spinach, mixed vegetables and salad. But you have to remember that 1 ounce of a particular spice can be quite a lot. 1 ounce is roughly equal to 2 tablespoons and when you are referring to certain spices that may not be palatable for some people. I also agree that people would benefit a lot by including organ meats like livers/hearts/kidneys and of course mineral rich bone marrow.
    I agree there's lots of minerals in bones, but according to that website, bone marrow itself is not all that rich. It's mostly fat. Good energy and taste I might add...

I understand the palatable issue for SOME foods. Personally though, I could eat spearmint and oregano for days. Talk about fresh breath and a fresh O3:O6 ratio. Tarragon I have never had. Basil I am less high on, but it's still solid. Just not incredibly tasty. My main point these herbs and other herbs is that they could logically replace the bulky, pointless (personal opinion) green vegetables people eat.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Pesto would probably be a good way to get big amounts of herbs.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

peril is offline Senior Member
    Need to keep an eye on the liver consumption because of the high amounts of Vitamin A and copper. Supplementing Vitamin D helps counter the toxicity of excessive Vitamin A

Also, many minerals need to be in balance so you need to pay attention to ratios, not just RDAs
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Need to keep an eye on the liver consumption because of the high amounts of Vitamin A and copper. Supplementing Vitamin D helps counter the toxicity of excessive Vitamin A

Also, many minerals need to be in balance so you need to pay attention to ratios, not just RDAs
    Thanks for the heads up. I have much to learn along these lines.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I use a lot of the healthy spices and still take Omega 3 fishoil. I don't see the harm in supplements if you know what you are doing.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post

I ran the numbers. The toxicity of Vitamin A is at 25,000 IU/kg of body weight for acute toxicity and 4,000 IU/kg of body weight for 6-15 months ingested daily for chronic toxicity. I weigh 70kg, so my estimated toxicities are 1,750,000 IU for acute and 280,000 IU (daily) for chronic. This sample diet came in at just under 40,000 IU. Aren't I pretty safe at this number?

Outside of certain fish, what do you consider a good dietary Vitamin D supplement? I was under the impression that good ole sunlight is the best supplier.

Copper is a little more complicated it seems. I don't pretend to know everything about vitamins and minerals. In fact, this is what I'm going to delve into next I believe. I also don't eat liver everyday.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I use a lot of the healthy spices and still take Omega 3 fishoil. I don't see the harm in supplements if you know what you are doing.
    It's snake oil in my opinion.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I ran the numbers. The toxicity of Vitamin A is at 25,000 IU/kg of body weight for acute toxicity and 4,000 IU/kg of body weight for 6-15 months ingested daily for chronic toxicity. I weigh 70kg, so my estimated toxicities are 1,750,000 IU for acute and 280,000 IU (daily) for chronic. This sample diet came in at just under 40,000 IU. Aren't I pretty safe at this number?

Outside of certain fish, what do you consider a good dietary Vitamin D supplement? I was under the impression that good ole sunlight is the best supplier.

Copper is a little more complicated it seems. I don't pretend to know everything about vitamins and minerals. In fact, this is what I'm going to delve into next I believe. I also don't eat liver everyday.
    My understanding is that unused Vitamin A can accumulate in the liver, leading to toxicity. So you need to ensure you're not accumulating. I should check it out further as I am eating plenty of liver (small amounts with breakfast, but not every day)

Sunlight is good for Vitamin D if you get adequate amounts but we rarely do. Also, the thinking in alternative circles is that we need a lot more Vitamin D than CW tells us, so you are almost certainly in deficit.

I like your approach to get nutrients from food. I'm largely doing so myself. I still feel the need to supplement Vitamin D (6000IU/day of D3), Magnesium (500mg/day as 5x500mg chelated mg) and Zinc (15mg/day). I eat offal for breakfast, cycling through different parts of different creatures on a roughly weekly rota (ie I make up a curry that'll last me a week), has a BAS with sardines or mackerel for lunch, and have meat (could be pork, fish or chicken but mostly red) and veggies for dinner. I include squash, beets, sweet potato and a little potato for carbs. I include dairy and alcohol (glass of red). Daily consumption of wine, turmeric (in the curry) and cocoa help keep my blood thin to prevent further blockages of my coronary arteries and the stents therein.

You will find that the minerals are quite difficult to test. Serum (ie blood) tests provide misleading results for many minerals. I suggest looking at Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis as the simplest way to test both levels and ratios
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast