Thread: Went of my first run! page

Went of my first run!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Met a running group tonight here in the small Chicago suburb I just moved to. I ran with my Suunto HRM on to get some basic info:

Distance: 3.1 miles
    Time: 40 minutes
    Max HR: 190
    Avg HR: 185
    Est kcal: ~900
    5'8" - 193lbs.

I only had to slow down to a walk twice to calm the heart down a bit, not bad for my first attempt. The Vibram's did great!

I'll be running half the SF Marathon with my sister July 30th. After tonight, I'm not too worried. I'm concerned about striking a balance between the training for this, karate, and the hi-intensity strength training (superslow protocol) I've been doing. I'm thinking perhaps just back off the leg press to every other or 3rd workout.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Check some of the threads on running if you haven't already.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

It is interesting, the vibrams are working well, except that one of my toes on my right foot is not straight, this one seems to protest some after a run. I may need to look at other running shoes, or perhaps this will happy in any shoe I just don't know it yet.

Same distance today... 7 minutes faster , avg heart rate down to 175 after doing sprinting the previous sunday...!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    A running group? Like those groups of 10-15 people jogging close together in brightly coloured clothing? Monsieur, I laugh at you.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

I'm running to help motivate and keep a promise to my sister that I would run half the San Francisco marathon with her at the end of July. I'm down 70lbs total, the last 30 or so since January with only strength training every 7-12 days.

Thanks for your support.

Stallion is offline Senior Member
    Birds gonna fly. Fish gonna swim. Haters gonna hate.

Congrats on the body transformation, Spiff!

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    Met a running group tonight here in the small Chicago suburb I just moved to. I ran with my Suunto HRM on to get some basic info:

Distance: 3.1 miles
    Time: 40 minutes
    Max HR: 190
    Avg HR: 185
    Est kcal: ~900
    5'8" - 193lbs.

I only had to slow down to a walk twice to calm the heart down a bit, not bad for my first attempt. The Vibram's did great!

I'll be running half the SF Marathon with my sister July 30th. After tonight, I'm not too worried. I'm concerned about striking a balance between the training for this, karate, and the hi-intensity strength training (superslow protocol) I've been doing. I'm thinking perhaps just back off the leg press to every other or 3rd workout.
    You are into chronic cardio territory here - too long for sprint, and too tough for play. No reason to be dogmatic about it but IMHO dont base your training around it.

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    I'm running to help motivate and keep a promise to my sister that I would run half the San Francisco marathon with her at the end of July. I'm down 70lbs total, the last 30 or so since January with only strength training every 7-12 days.

Thanks for your support.
    Awesome job !
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Falk View Post
    You are into chronic cardio territory here - too long for sprint, and too tough for play. No reason to be dogmatic about it but IMHO dont base your training around it.
    Yeah, I've considered that. I really don't enjoy running either, however jogging behind some of these ladies ain't so bad

I think ideally I'll keep the distance runs to a minimum, continue to look for improvements in the sprinting.