Thread: Ahi Poke page

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member

Ahi Poke

Primal Fuel
    Aloha Groksters. I've been looking for a really good Poke recipe, but the ones on the 'net are somewhat questionable, even the one from Sam Choi. I've found that the biggest factor in making good Ahi Poke is the shoyu. But soy sauce is vastly different depending on which country it comes from. If Chinese soy sauce is used, the marinade ends up overpowering the delicate Ahi. Japanese shoyu is superior, but there are still variations. The best version I've found in our neck of the woods is Ponzu from Kikkoman. It's very light and lends a bit of citrus flavor to the dish.

The marinade makes enough for 1 lb of Ahi.

This is the recipe I started with:

1/8 teaspoon Hawaiian salt (red Alaea)
    Shichimi Togarashi to taste
    2 teaspoon soy sauce (Chinese)
    2 teaspoon oyster sauce
    2 teaspoon cooking Sake
    1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon sesame oil

When it was done, it was very strong because I used a Chinese soy sauce. I ended up marinating a ribeye steak in it instead and that turned out FANTASTIC!

I made a second version:

1/8 teaspoon Hawaiian salt (red Alaea)
    Shichimi Togarashi to taste
    2 teaspoon Kikkoman Ponzu shoyu
    2 teaspoon cooking Sake
    1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon sesame oil

This version had just the right amount of flavor without overpowering the Ahi. There are several different versions of Poke around the Islands. Some are spicy, like a spicy tuna sashimi, then there's the avocado version (very tasty), one with Limu (can't get that amazing stuff here). There are local versions on each of the Islands. There's really no bad version of Poke... we love them all.

Good sashimi grade Ahi is $26.99/lb up here - so we have to make it count. I think this is the BEST way to eat Ahi. I'm going to try this with Salmon as soon as I can get my hands on some.

Be sure to refrigerate as soon as the Poke has been gently mixed. Should only be made on the day that it's being served.
    You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

dfc5343 is offline Member
    1 lb. fresh ahi steaks, cut into cubed, bite-size pieces
    1/2 cup chopped limu kohu (red seaweed)
    1/4 cup soy sauce (shoyu)
    1/4 cup chopped green onions (tops included)
    1/4 cup chopped Maui onion (or yellow onion)
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
    1 chili pepper, cored, seeded and diced (optional)
    Sea salt, to taste
    2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
    2 tsp. finely chopped toasted macadamia nuts (optional, as a substitute for inamona, which is difficult to find outside of Hawaii but can be shipped fresh if ya wanna pay)
    Last edited by dfc5343; 05-12-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    A Veteran is someone who in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The USA for an amount "up to and including my life"

Coconut Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfc5343 View Post
    1 lb. fresh ahi steaks, cut into cubed, bite-size pieces
    1/2 cup chopped limu kohu (red seaweed)
    1/4 cup soy sauce (shoyu)
    1/4 cup chopped green onions (tops included)
    1/4 cup chopped Maui onion (or yellow onion)
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
    1 chili pepper, cored, seeded and diced (optional)
    Sea salt, to taste
    2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
    2 tsp. finely chopped toasted macadamia nuts (optional, as a substitute for inamona, which is difficult to find outside of Hawaii but can be shipped fresh if ya wanna pay)
    this is more like it

or you can be hardcore Hawaiian like me and just grab da ahi, 'trow some alae salt and grind 'um wit poi. maybe some pickled onion on the side... lol sorry, i'm in L.A. and had to have a moment of "home-good-ness"

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Have to brag that I made this:

The recipe is from Zen Chef. You can find it on the web. His was far more spectacular visually. For some reason the camera bleached the color of mine a little bit. I probably shouldn't have used the flash. The tuna was a lot redder - crimson, actually - and the avocado much greener. I altered the recipe by adding tobiko to the tuna and put some slivered toasted nori in the sauce.

That's outrageously expensive and non-primal sake in the martini glasses. It should have tasted better for what it cost. Next time we go to one of our favorite sushi places, I'm going to write down the names of the sake we get. Because I think we pay less and enjoy it more. We got very drinkie though, that's for sure!

Mr. LGN couldn't believe I was making him take pictures. That's me in the background here directing him. The color in the tartare closest to me is truest to what it really looked like. I think the light from the flash was reflecting back or something.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    WOW! Very artistic, Metta! Nothing wrong with bragging - you SHOULD be proud

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. That made me feel good.

It was WAY more beautiful and WAY WAY WAY more delicious than the photos show.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    That's beautiful! I can imagine how delicious it was. I think I need some sushi this week

(food photography tip: use natural light whenever possible, and never use the flash directly. I use a speedlight and bounce it off the ceiling, but if you're using a point-and-shoot you can hold some tissue paper over the flash to diffuse it a little)
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Girl View Post
    this is more like it

or you can be hardcore Hawaiian like me and just grab da ahi, 'trow some alae salt and grind 'um wit poi. maybe some pickled onion on the side... lol sorry, i'm in L.A. and had to have a moment of "home-good-ness"
    Dat's how Auntie make....Ono!

dfc5343 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Girl View Post
    this is more like it

Bristol Farms Long Beach has dakines poke. Mo betta than Wainiae Fish House...
    A Veteran is someone who in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The USA for an amount "up to and including my life"