Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Last 10 lbs" vs "First 10 lbs" page

jillian is offline Junior Member

"Last 10 lbs" vs "First 10 lbs"

Shop Now
    Okay, So I'm 19 years old and I just recently discovered primal eating- working on it for a couple weeks maybe now. Right away, I noticed that I felt less bloated, my face looks thinner, and all my digestive issues are GONE. So, I'm excited to keep going and learning more. The thing is, I don't have that much weight to lose. I think I want to lose about 10 to 15 pounds - or excluding the scale numbers, I just want to decrease my body fat.

This said, I have read that the last ten pounds are the hardest to lose. Everyone says to get past that "plateau," you should cut out nuts and dairy. This might sound stupid, but since I don't have a huge weight loss goal, is this 10 pounds going to be harder? Because I am fairly close to my goal weight, even though this is technically the "first ten pounds" and not the last, I don't know how to go about it. I actually just started adding cheese to my breakfast and using whole eggs instead of egg whites to get some fat. My diet was very low in fat before primal. I also don't eat red meat (and sorry, I'm not budging) so I eat alot of almonds in a day for a protein source and fat, I just snack on them. I drink almond milk and sometimes greek yogurt or cottage cheese. (Now full fat instead of fat free)

So, do I cut out the nuts and dairy? I don't know what I would snack on then. I'm also trying to read Mark's articles on Omega 6 vs Omega 3 -SO CONFUSED. I need to actually make a study sheet or something haha. I know coconut oil and coconut milk is good but I can't find the oil and I don't know what to put the milk in.

Sorry for the long post! Everyone seems so nice on here, any suggestions will help

iniQuity is online now Senior Member
    Are you eating any meat at all? (chicken/fish/etc?)

I’d hate to get protein from sources other than animals, too many issues and a hell of a hard time getting the right amount.

Yeah, past that I have nothing to say, sorry.

I do eat chicken and fish. I just started. I have tilapia or salmon for dinner and put chicken or tuna in my salads

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Your first ten pounds is the same as the last ten pounds. Basically, saying the "last ten" is harder is just a shorthand way of saying that the closer you are to your goal weight, the more challenging losing weight can be.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Tara is offline Senior Member
    I'm also trying to lose the last 10 lbs. I lost 10 lbs when I first started eating primal and thought that was going to be all that I wanted to lose, I have since realized I could lose another 10 and look great! I am having a heck of a time trying to get down further. I am on Day 17 with absolutely no dairy, no grains, and no sugar. I am trying to completely cut out nuts too as they are pretty much my go to food. I'd say start replacing your cottage cheese and yogurt with hard boiled eggs or tuna or something! Use coconut oil to cook your eggs in the morning or just grab a tablespoon of it on it's own! I put coconut mil in my tea or sometimes I make "sweet" scrambled eggs, mix eggs with coconut milk and cinnamon and scramble as usual. It's SO delicious!
    Hope some of that helps! I think it's all about carbs at this point. We really have to cut them down!

iniQuity is online now Senior Member
    In that case just keep it meat and veggies, follow the PB as outlined (workouts and all) if you really see no changes at all in a month (a month from now =] .. ) then you can start tinkering with things. It’s not worth it to do so early on, it almost inevitably leads folks to frustration and sometimes to develop a bad relationship with otherwise healthy and natural food.

That being said, I wouldn’t eat so many nuts on a regular basis, highly caloric and easy to over-do. I see that adjustment as minimal in the grand scheme of things, like before somebody tells you to cut carbs to nothing, which is stupid.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Almonds shouldn't be where you get your protein from. I'm 18 and I'm in the same boat as you. They call it the last 10 lbs not because they're the last you're going to lose out of losing a lot but because you're 10 lbs within the ideal BF%. As you get closer to that BF% your body doesn't wanna give it up as easily than if you were at a higher BF% where it's obviously easier to let go of excess fat. You shouldn't be eating more than a handful of almonds a day, in my opinion. Your main nutrient sources should be chicken, fish, eggs, vegetables, fats (olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, ghee). Then, you can move onto fruits like blueberries/blackberries/etc., starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes and nuts and some full-fat dairy, but I'd say no more than 1 serving per day if you're looking to lose weight. Then after this range, you could have sensible indulgences, e.g. a bit of honey, some more sugar-heavy fruits, dark chocolate, red wine, etc...

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    I use coconut milk in smoothies with berries, in Thai or Indian curries, or when I make ground nut banana porridge.

Thanks so much, this all really helps. - I'll definitely work towards everyones advice ! These first/last pounds don't stand a chance

Mmm, that sounds good. I have to start reading up on recipes and making different dishes. I'm a horrible cook and my family is more of a - cheese sandwich for their dinner - kinda people

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast