Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone broth love :) page

irenesom is offline Senior Member

Bone broth love :)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Buy spring lamb bones 99p. Put in slow cooker with apple cider vinegar, carrots, onion, garlic. Leave 24 hrs.

Sieve. Retreive lamb (surprising amount!), realises bones super soft. Have a tentative nibble of bones, nice, have some more bones. Wonder how many calories in bones (lol). Eat lamb with sone spinach, save some for tomorrow. Leave sieved broth to cool and then skim fat off for further cooking at later date.

So, bone broth is my new favourite thing, if I had super powers it would probably be an unbreakable skeleton!

So can I save the soft bones to snack on them tomorrow? Would my work mates freak out if I chowed on them in the office?

Bone broth

strom is offline Senior Member
    steakbones don't get soft. :-( my lamb bones didn't get soft either, but I didn't have them on for 24 hours.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Nom nom nom nom!!
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irenesom View Post
    So can I save the soft bones to snack on them tomorrow? Would my work mates freak out if I chowed on them in the office?

Bone broth
    Absolutely save them! Bones are full of calcium, very good for you!

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I make mine with American buffalo (bison) bones after I have eaten the marrow, plus a knuckle bone from the knee or foot, probably 5lbs total and 10 cups of water in my slow cooker which is at capacity. But I do it 48 hours and have never noticed the bones so soft that I could eat them. It must be that spring lamb is extra young and the bones get soft.

Be careful about mixing different species to make broth, tried it once and it was awful, stick with one lamb, goat, chicken, beef etc. and stay with just that.

Yes your work mates would think you are odd, I shudder to tell mine that I eat bison bone marrow and tongue for breakfast.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irenesom View Post
    Buy spring lamb bones 99p. Put in slow cooker with apple cider vinegar, carrots, onion, garlic. Leave 24 hrs.

Sieve. Retreive lamb (surprising amount!), realises bones super soft. Have a tentative nibble of bones, nice, have some more bones. Wonder how many calories in bones (lol). Eat lamb with sone spinach, save some for tomorrow. Leave sieved broth to cool and then skim fat off for further cooking at later date.

So, bone broth is my new favourite thing, if I had super powers it would probably be an unbreakable skeleton!

Bone broth
    +1 gotta love bone broth. You can even mix and match beef/pork/chicken and they all taste woderful. All that gelatinous broth is so good for ya and mineral rich.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

trinity4 is offline Member
    Supposedly, if you add a shot of vinegar (apple cider) to the broth it helps to leach even more minerals out of the bones. I also add copious amounts of garlic and a chinese herb called astragalus, and a small handful of thyme and it becomes medicine as well. I love, love, love bone broth, the making of it and eating it!

strom is offline Senior Member
    How do you make the bones soft? Longer than 24 hours in a crockpot?

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I left mine (beef shank bones) for 72 hours and they were still rock hard (I know, I tried cracking them with a hammer at that point and just made tiny, little dents).

I do love it when I roast a chicken and the bones get nice and crunchy. NOM NOM NOM!
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast