Thread: Another Sweetener Thread page

starrchilde is offline Senior Member

Another Sweetener Thread

Primal Fuel
    So I searched the archives and found some of the threads on sweeteners, and wanted to revisit that again. I have four children which we are slowly transitioning to primal (dinners are primal, lunches for them are probably 50-75%, everything else is hit or miss).

They have never had "full-strength" sweet in their iced tea/kool-aid, but they're extremely resistant to my reducing the sweetness level any further. Prior to this I would just use splenda, however I have been using half splenda and half turbinado because I'm trying to move away from the created sweeteners (right now it's 1/2 cup of sweetener per 2qt pitcher vs 1 cup which is called for in the directions).

I've tried stevia, however 2/3s of the people in the family find it to have a bitter aftertaste, so that's useless. Some of the other sweeteners I have found at WF, however I'm hesitant to go that route due to cost, in case we hate them.

Any thoughts? Is turbinado that "bad" in the grand scheme of things when compared to the other options? Would using honey be better? Is honey actually a viable option for large pitchers of iced tea when compared to how much would be required to sweeten it to a sufficient level?

They do drink water during the day, but they're allowed a "flavored" drink with lunch and dinner, and rarely get soda due to HFCS, so tea is usually the go-to beverage of choice.

Am I just way over thinking this?
    ~ Chris

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didnít understand the assignment.

I told them they didnít understand life.
    ó John Lennon

julie-a is offline Member
    what about kombucha or water kefir? I personally wouldn't want to drink 2 sweetened drinks a day but I do make iced tea or lemonade for a special treat once in a while in the summer. I usually use honey (dissolved first) and often use pureed peaches or berries in iced tea as well. You might also try out coconut sugar (similar flavor to turbinado but more nutrients). But sugar is sugar is sugar, best in strict moderation. And the more you have the more you want!

You could also try using stevia with another sweetner to cut the sweetner down more and mask the bitter taste stevia has, I wouldn't touch splenda as I'm extremely suspicious of the artificial stuff. Anyway, keep playing around, you'll figure out a good compromise eventually!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I've given up on using anything but succanat or other raw sugar, honey, maple syrup, and a liitle agave. I can't stand most artifical sweetners, or stevia. I don't use any sweetner in my coffee or tea and I've pretty much stopped baking, so the few times I use sugar or other non-artifical sweetner doesn't have any issues for me.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    There's less chemical processing in things like raw sugar or honey, but the fructose is still fructose. It's still toxic to your liver and a fast path to fat gain. If you can move them away from expecting sweet things all the time, you will be doing them a favor for the rest of their lives. I know its easier said than done.

Some people like the stevia products that isolate rebiana to be less bitter. Maybe that's worth a small trial. It still may or may not cause a rise in insulin. There are no conclusive studies on this. But its likely less toxic. Ultimately they're better off training their palates to be happy with less sweet.

As for the drink choice, I have no idea what's in kool aid, but I can't imagine its rainbows and unicorns. The tea is likely not too bad but maybe they want more sweet to get past the natural bitter components in tea. There are fruity herbal teas that aren't very bitter. Maybe they'd tolerate those without sweetener or just with less. Personally, I do well with water with a little lemon or cucumber, but then I'm a grown up. I have a carbonator at home. I find the fizzy water more "treat-like" for lack of a better term. It makes me crave a sweet drink less.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I've given up on using anything but succanat or other raw sugar, honey, maple syrup, and a liitle agave. I can't stand most artifical sweetners, or stevia. I don't use any sweetner in my coffee or tea and I've pretty much stopped baking, so the few times I use sugar or other non-artifical sweetner doesn't have any issues for me.
    I used to use agave nectar but after doing more reading about it, I got scared off of it. It's touted as healthy because it doesn't produce as much of a blood sugar rise. That's because it has a higher ratio of fructose to glucose. It's the fructose that is toxic to our liver and gets put on the fast path into our fat cells.

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    I gave up my sweetner in coffee tea last week. It has taken me 1.5 weeks to get the bitter gone. Today was the first day.

Another option would be to gradually wean them down. Ie make a pot of current normal. when 1/4 down, add new less sweetened, when another 1/4 same and so on. the taste would change as their receptors change.

but they are right above. fructose is fructose. There was a good article on agave. most is proccessed much like HFCS's so you aren't getting the benefit that you probably thought you were.
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Would they drink just plain water? Or seltzer water with a splash of cranberry juice? My nieces and nephews are given the choice at every meal of "milk or water". They still get to choose what they want, but all the choices are okay!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I would stick with the turbinado and gradually decrease the sweetener--like a tablespoon less/week. If they are active, they are going to burn off the sugar, anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

starrchilde is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for all the suggestions and feedback.

I'm going to continue cutting down the sweetener and see if I can get them eventually happy with unsweet tea. As to the milk/water thing, one child doesn't drink milk at all, which we're fine with since he eats yogurt, cheese, etc fine and I'm ok with them having something that they "like" with dinner since they drink water like fish throughout the day. I just want to minimize the "damage" it's doing.
    ~ Chris

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didnít understand the assignment.

I told them they didnít understand life.
    ó John Lennon