Thread: What do YOU have to supplement? page

porcelain is offline Senior Member

What do YOU have to supplement?

Primal Fuel
    In understanding the complex mechanisms in your individual complex system, there are predisposed health conditions or certain nutrients that are unattainable in our situation geographically, financially, socially, or simply from lack of time. For that reason, even with knowing it's best to secure as much from food as possible, we are wise to supplement some nutrients to balance the chemistry that work synergistically within our bodies.

Brief: lactose intolerant, allergic to fish/shellfish, slowly introducing eggs into diet again, repulsed by organ meats
    Lack: D3, omega 3s, K2, calcium

I eat a lot of carotenoid foods, but I may also be deficient in vitamin A after learning that fewer than 10% actually get converted to retinol. I've been recommended to take seal oil instead of fish oil for my allergies. I'm concerned with my iodine levels too. I'm supplementing D and K2, but as for calcium, I've just been working out rigorously the traditional way to increase bone mass since I know calcium supplementation is not the most effective.

Please add to a list of your condition and what you're doing to supplement.
    I hope we can provide each other with some useful recommendations and share strategies.
    Last edited by porcelain; 05-12-2011 at 10:14 AM.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    D3 helps regulate Calcium retention and absorption, keeping your body from pulling it out of your bones.

All heart- some atherosclerosis from years of SAD diet and poorly treated hypertension (I'm 34yo)
    I take D3, Om-3, K2 (MK4 and MK7), Multivitamin better regulates my bp than did any of the Rx's.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

porcelain is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCO14 View Post
    D3 helps regulate Calcium retention and absorption, keeping your body from pulling it out of your bones.

All heart- some atherosclerosis from years of SAD diet and poorly treated hypertension (I'm 34yo)
    I take D3, Om-3, K2 (MK4 and MK7), Multivitamin better regulates my bp than did any of the Rx's.
    I can't believe I avoided D supplements for this long... makes me really angry.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    These two: View Profile: Stabby - Mark's Daily Apple Forum "Stabby"
    and View Profile: cillakat - Mark's Daily Apple Forum "Cillakat"

have been a wealth of information on nutrition and supplementation respectively, you might look back at some of their posts.

For my part I've been supplementing magnesium with an aim to better control my blood pressure. It has worked well enough that if Cillakat sent me a bill for services I'd probably pay it.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by porcelain View Post
    Please add to a list of your condition and what you're doing to supplement.
    No known condition. I do take a little naturally fermented cod liver oil for A and D, as the WAPF recommends:

Cod Liver Oil Basics and Recommendations

Like a lot of people here, I also supplement for magnesium. I use Naturalcalm for that. Mg tends to be lower in foodstuffs than is ideal, perhaps because of soil depletion. In areas where there are above-average levels of it in the drinking water, owing to the underlying geology of the area, people have thicker and stronger bones; conversely, where it's low people's bones are thinner and fractures more common even if there's more calcium in the water.