Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm doing my cortisol test today! page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

I'm doing my cortisol test today!

Primal Fuel
    It came in the mail yesterday, so I decided to get it over with today. I'm doing cortisol 4x, DHEA, progesterone, testosterone, estrogen. The morning tube was big and had to be filled at least half way. It took me forever - at least 30 min - to muster up that much spit! I just did the second one - smaller tube plus I must have more saliva production as the day goes on

2 more tubes to go.

I hope it's ok that my husband gave me a quick peck on the lips while I was still working on the morning tube...

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    It's not nearly as bad as the stool test I just had to submit. (ugh!)

Make sure you've stayed clear of cruciferous vegetables first. I eat cabbage and cauliflower practically daily and had to hold off on them for a couple-three days, thereby delaying my test.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Don't stress over it...
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ooops. I didn't know that about the cruciferous vegetables. I did have a little cauliflower 2 nights ago.

I emailed the lab about the kiss, and they said it was fine -ha.

Just finished the third vial.

And the 4 vials shipped out via UPS last night.

I'm anxious to get results and begin coming back from what I suspect is some stage of adrenal fatigue. I am hoping to somewhat ameliorate my hypothyroid symptoms too once I get the adrenals healthy again.

I'm a little concerned about the results being skewed since I had a stressful day Thursday; however, almost every day at work (at least this year) has been rather stressful. I read that you should take the tests on a "normal" day, so I guess it was a fairly normal day.

Has anyone else done testing through the ZRT lab? This is the test I did.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I keep meaning to do a saliva ASI- I have this one sitting on my bedside table.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Good luck. I'm not that familiar with the saliva test. Suppose it comes back positive. Will you also see a doc for blood tests, or start making changes from that one test?

I have some experience with cortisol because I had adrenal fatigue. It can be very complex. I had a huge "stress belly" but cortisol was low, because my adrenals had already stopped making it. My doc had me taking cortisol and testosterone at the same time in the beginning until things got going again, then we stopped the cortisol. I have been taking DHEA since too.

Now the adrenals seem to be working better. My HGH went up on it's own, and we keep reducing the testosterone.

My doc said most dr's won't get near messing with cortisol because it's just too complex, so I think that means its even more risky to try and self-manage.

Good luck!

Everything I've read recommends the saliva test (checks cortisol/dhea at 4 different points in the day) as the most accurate indicator of adrenal function. Blood tests apparently just show a one time reading of cortisol which doesn't give a very clear picture of what's going on. After reading these three books (Dr Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue, Marcelle Pick's Wired and Tired, and Dr. K's Thyroid Book) I do realize how intensely complex the whole adrenal fatigue/cortisol issue (and its autoimmune connection) is. I do NOT want nor plan to self treat. But I am also extremely frustrated. I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and have had 0 luck finding a doctor to help me. I've been on some forums where people who are following Dr. K's protocol - through online docs- have spent thousands (I mean upward of 20K in some cases). As much as I want to feel better I do not have the resources to go that route. I am researching still to find a doc within an hour or two of my house who can help me manage my health issues.

I'm super frustrated that I can't just go to my doc for help with this. It seems to be such a common problem yet is all but ignored by mainstream physicians.

If anyone has a good doctor to recommend in Virginia, please advise!
    Last edited by Angieh; 05-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    I keep meaning to do a saliva ASI- I have this one sitting on my bedside table.
    Looks very similar to the one I just did. Have you done one before or will this be your first saliva test? You should go ahead and do it this week!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    Looks very similar to the one I just did. Have you done one before or will this be your first saliva test? You should go ahead and do it this week!
    I've not done the 24 hour test- I did a morning sample test years ago, but that doesn't really tell you much!
    BTW, I do Dr. K's protocol, but luckily, my doc is CHEAP! He's a chiropractor and does a lot of kinesiology/electrodermal screening in place of a tons of lab tests. I'm getting results, so it seems to be working.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast