Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: truly cheap calories page

junebu8 is offline Senior Member

truly cheap calories

Primal Fuel
    Hey, I've been primal(ish) for a long time, and I mostly know how to make it work, and work for our budget. But in the last two months, two of my kids have hit major teen growth spurts and on top of that, they've begun training for parkour. They're hungry ALL of the time, and they burn through our food supplies in no time flat. It's getting to a point that I can't afford to keep up. I'm starting to understand why so many parents give in to the $5 pizza scheme.

I'm looking for some truly cheap eats to fill teen bellies without doing too much damage to their health. Neither of them is overweight at all. They eat a basically primal diet, with occasional treats, plus extra potatoes and sweet potatoes, and more fruit than most primal adults (I think).

So far my ideas are: roasting up some sweet potatoes and keeping them on hand for them to reheat when they're hungry

hard boiled eggs

egg salad in lettuce

meatballs

Anyone other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I’m really far from being a mom, my suggestion was going to be potatoes…

How about white rice? It’s pretty safe as just an empty starch, you say your boys aren’t overweight or anything so I would throw some of that in there. It’s definitely cheap.

nance13 is offline Junior Member
    I can relate! My 17-year-old grandson is staying with me. He loves the Primal diet, but also supplements with some carbs although he has drifted away from refined carbs. I make a full slow cooker pot about every 3 days with other meats in between. Each time I think SURELY this food will last 3 days he dives in and cleans me out. He's lean but working out a lot including running and swimming (he's much leaner than the 1-year-old pic I used in my album.)

I'm also feeling the dollar pinch, but it's better than having him eat Twinkies and chips. Fortunately, he also gave up soda so I'm using those dollars to prop up his meat needs.

For cheap calories, I look for sales on meat approaching the "use by" dates and I make sure he eats enough vegetables. I'm pleased to report he's developed a taste for celery root and rutabagas. I think most teen boys don't eat veggies, and Zac won't eat salad but he does take nice helpings of veggies I include in the slow cooker batch.

Like his gramma, he's also a fruit eater and that moderates his intake of meat a little.

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Hit Costco and stock up on their $5 Rotisserie chickens, they are a minimum of 3 pounds. (At least that's what they are up here in Washington). I also second the suggestion about potatoes. Bake up a bunch of them, and have butter, sour cream, cheese, onions, BACON, all the extras they want to top it with. Veggies with dip, lots of fruit. You can do it!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    2nd sweet potatoes. They need some carb replenishment. Also ground beef is easy to have on hand all cooked up and seasoned. I make pulled pork a lot, too. Easy to make in a crock pot or pressure cooker. Pork butt is cheap and yummy.

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    Will they eat liver? I can get liver from my grassfed farmer for pennies to the pound. He sells it for 2-something/pound, but nobody but me and a couple other people buy it so he always throws in a couple extra packages for free. I cook it and make pate and throw that into everything I eat. You could probably add it to mashed potatoes for added nutrition.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I just ate some white rice for lunch with my salmon, re-introducing moderate amounts of rice has been fine for me and I appreciate the added variety. Perfect Health Diet (my new fave paleo book) recommends moderate amounts of white rice.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

camel is offline Senior Member
    Fat calories are cheap! Ask your butcher for leftover beef fat and make your own tallow.

Cabbage is cheap. My favorite cheap meal is chopped cabbage stir fried with a little ground beef or other meat, pork or bacon is yummy, with yummy fat, garlic, salt & pepper.

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A cheap cut of meal (preferably pork or turkey) plus onions plus kale or cabbage. Preferably in a crockpot. Nutritious, delicious, filling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast