Thread: is my body fat % too low? page

tommyho1 is offline Member

is my body fat % too low?

Primal Fuel
    hey,

so i did a body fat percentage test and the results came out at around 7%. i have always known i am very lean but i didnt know it would be quite that low! i work out a lot though and so i carry quite a bit of muscle too. so basically, i feel great and look the way i want to too.

i follow a moderately strict PB diet and cut back on the carbs to an extent that i go into the ketosis phase quite regularly.

my question is, should i be worried about going into a ketosis stage, and "burning" away more fat, when i have very little of it left! is there a lower level which is deemed as "unhealthy"?

tommyho1 is offline Member
    by the way, i'm a 25 year old male, 6ft 2 inches (190cm) and weigh 80kg (176 pounds).

norak is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you should worry about it unless you start losing muscle.

According to Wikipedia the 2-5% range is considered essential fat and my interpretation of that is that men are not recommended to go below 5% to maintain health. Also, I think you would start losing muscle before you lose the last 5%.

Schneider is offline Member
    7% ???

I hate you !!!!

More seriously, no, you're okay. Art de Vany recommend a body fat % that goes 11% for a male and 18% for a female, but athletes and our ancestors are/were around 5-13% for males and 12-22% for females. Art himself roam around 6.7 and 8%..

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis may make it easier to lose fat, but it doesn't automatically cause fat loss... That all depends on your calories and activity level, as I understand it.

trippplez is offline Member
    Considering the blatant post title, the low body fat percentage, the fact that you are a tall slender man in your prime, I bet you are just bragging ... like in a "You can never be too rich, or too thin..."

By the way, I'm 6'5", 180 lbs @ 5% BF (34 mm sum of skinfolds) ... I'm not bragging, just mentioning it.

So keep pushing.

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyho1 View Post
    hey,

so i did a body fat percentage test and the results came out at around 7%. i have always known i am very lean but i didnt know it would be quite that low! i work out a lot though and so i carry quite a bit of muscle too. so basically, i feel great and look the way i want to too.

i follow a moderately strict PB diet and cut back on the carbs to an extent that i go into the ketosis phase quite regularly.

my question is, should i be worried about going into a ketosis stage, and "burning" away more fat, when i have very little of it left! is there a lower level which is deemed as "unhealthy"?
    While Ketosis does mean you're burning fat, you're body doesn't care if it comes from the food you eat or adipose tissue. I currently eat 45-50% fat, but once I get to my ideal weight I'll up that to 60% to make up for the lessened fat from my body.