Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal on a Budget page

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member

Primal on a Budget

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

About a month in and never going back, I've never felt this good in my life.

I just wanted to see if people had good sources of primal, good quality foods like beef and seafood. I'm finding it really hard to get my gram of protein per pound of body weight a day as I'm trying to pack on some muscle. It's not the eating part, it's affording that much high quality protein, especially on a soon to be student again budget. Just curious as to where people get their grass fed/free range meat and wild seafood or if anyone had any other suggestions to make going primal more affordable. I'd be happy to make a nice list of all the suggestions and post it on these forums if I get a bunch. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Nutritionator; 05-11-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi! Welcome! Search the forum for "budget" - you will get lots of hits.

I am lucky. There are sooo many sources where I live (Sacramento, CA). Where do you live?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    This is a tough one and good quality food is definitely going to cost a bit more. I tend to buy what is seasonal from local farmers markets. When it comes to wild caught salmon I buy in bulk from Costco. You can also buy wild caught salmon, sardines and other fish that is canned from Whole Foods if you have one in your area. Grass fed beef is the tough one and is going to be where you spend the most money. Grass fed ground beef will be your cheapest source of grass fed beef, depending on the fat percentage I have seen it go anywhere from $3.99-8.99 a pound. If you have the extra storage space in your freezer or even if you have a second freezer you can buy a 1/4 cow from a local farm. This is the best bet in saving money but you just have to have the space and the cash for the initial investment.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    Remember, the less junk you buy, the easier it is to afford real food.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Offal is inexpensive and very nutritious. Heart and tongue are just cheap muscle meat. Liver, kidney, brain etc are protein plus micronutrients.

Don't forget cheap cuts on the bone. The connective tissue is also very good for you
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    I am on a very limited students budget as well! First, IF'ing is a great money saving tool, . As much as it gets knocked here, many a times when my cupboards were "bare" by CW standards, I lasted over a week (of course I was eating, but I made it stretch!)/

All of my protein is high quality, grass-fed, and local.
    Meat at Farmer's Market tends to be a bit expensive. However, fish is generally a great deal. Also, once in awhile, farmer's put out huge bins of "sale" items.
    Beyond that, I rely on local grocery stores and costco. Grass-fed beef runs me 3.49-4.99/lb and I buy whatever fish/stew meat is on sale. I buy two chickens at Costco for $20.
    Check ads before hitting the stores, and you'll have to shop around in the beginning to figure out where to get what. I also cut back in other ways, as the bulk of my food money goes to meat. Huge 3lb things of coconut oil from amazon, all my organic veggies in bulk from Costco, etc.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    There's actually a Costco about 5 minutes from the school I'll be going to, I guess I just didn't realize they had good quality stuff. I use to shop at Sam's club a lot when I lived at home back in the day but we always just came home with 1,000 pack boxes of granola bars and cereal boxes the size of my car. I'll definitely be joining Costco and checking out local farmers markets. I'm learning to love canned fish like sardines as an alternative to taking 8 fish oil caplets a day. I'm thinking a lot of my protein will be coming from ground beef and I started this thread in the recipes forum looking for the best ground beef dishes, great ideas in there already. Keep the suggestions coming!
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

tamara is offline Junior Member
    One word of caution; before you pay for a membership at your Costco, ask if they'll give you a free 1 day membership to test it out so you can go walk around the meat department and see if they carry grass fed stuff. We only have Sam's where we live and we joined without checking and they don't carry any grass fed or pastured anything.....

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by balance View Post
    this is a tough one and good quality food is definitely going to cost a bit more. I tend to buy what is seasonal from local farmers markets. When it comes to wild caught salmon i buy in bulk from costco. You can also buy wild caught salmon, sardines and other fish that is canned from whole foods if you have one in your area. Grass fed beef is the tough one and is going to be where you spend the most money. Grass fed ground beef will be your cheapest source of grass fed beef, depending on the fat percentage i have seen it go anywhere from $3.99-8.99 a pound. If you have the extra storage space in your freezer or even if you have a second freezer you can buy a 1/4 cow from a local farm. This is the best bet in saving money but you just have to have the space and the cash for the initial investment.
    /\ this is quality /\
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tamara View Post
    One word of caution; before you pay for a membership at your Costco, ask if they'll give you a free 1 day membership to test it out so you can go walk around the meat department and see if they carry grass fed stuff. We only have Sam's where we live and we joined without checking and they don't carry any grass fed or pastured anything.....
    Yeah I like Cosco more than Sam's and I have a Sam's membership- WTF am I doing!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast