Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I'm new to this page

Selchie21 is offline Junior Member

Hi, I'm new to this

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

Not sure where to begin, but I've just bought the book, although I've spent about a week or so on this site researching things. I think I have a pretty good grasp on it all, now to put it in motion.
    I have followed the PB plan now for 9 days and I am also 35 days into the P90X workout program.
    My main goal is to lose weight. I'm probably about 30-40 pounds overweight and it's gotten to the point I can't fit into clothes that I wore 7 months ago. I also have some health issues I've dealt with for a while and frankly, I'm done living like this. So here I am.
    One question though, is it normal to not see any change in weight the first 2 weeks? I'm trying not to get discouraged, so any words of wisdom would be great.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Tell us a bit about you: age, sex, height; then post a sample menu so we can have an idea what & when you're eating. That makes it easier to advise you about your weight loss, or lack thereof.

BTW: Welcome!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

I'm 27, female, weigh 160.4 lbs and I'm 5'-7"

Yesterday's menu was:
    Breakfast 3 scrambled eggs, black tea (no sugar or cream) almond flour pumpkin muffin
    snack 1 apple, 2 slices of cheese (I know, cheese isn't great, but I'm having a hard time removing it just yet)
    snack #2: a protein bar
    Lunch: salad with grilled chicken, lettuce and some shredded cheese on top, no dressing
    snack: blueberries with sliced ham
    Snack: hand full of freeze dried strawberries and banana mix
    Dinner: rotisserie chicken leg and some mashed butternut squash

That's a pretty typical day for me this past week. I was drinking 1 powdered water flavoring juice packets once a day in the afternoon for a little pick up, didn't do that yesterday or today. I also was eating about 3 cheese sticks over the course of a day and I haven't done that at all this week. I have really only been this strict for the last 5 days though. I am having a little trouble removing the post workout carb loaded meal, I probably ate about 40g of (bad)carbs after a weight training workout 3 days a week up until this week.
    Last edited by Selchie21; 05-11-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    What are you doing eating a muffin? Even if not grain-based, it's still too carby. Cut out ALL carbs for now, including the fruit - you are eating too many carbs right now to lose any weight at all. Where's your fat? You are not eating enough fat to get your metabolism kickstarted.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

When you're looking to lose weight, you probably need to cut out the snacks. If you're constantly fuelling your body, it never needs to resort to using its fat stores for energy.

There's nothing wrong with having a post-workout carb-y meal as long as it fits into your daily eating plan.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to cut out fruit and all carbs and see where I end up. I need to really stop my snacking, weekends I never even think to snack, but sitting at a desk during the week makes it tricky, but I'm really going to try to push myself.
    Griff: What are some ways I can bring fat into my diet?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Add butter to your eggs in the morning and your vegetables in the afternoon and evening. Eat more bacon. Eat high-fat ground beef (73/27 is great). Eat dark-meat chicken with the skin on. Eat coconut oil by the spoonful and cook with it, too. Get good marbled steaks and high-fat roasts for the slow cooker. Those are just a few ways to add good fats.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

I'll add: put olive oil on your salad and eat avocados; get a can of salmon or sardines and mash it all up, bones & skin included; put coconut milk on frozen berries; eat coconut bark as a snack. Yum!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Cut out ALL carbs for now, including the fruit - you are eating too many carbs right now to lose any weight at all.
    That's an extreme method for extreme circumstances. At 5'7" and 160, Selchie is still better off replacing all processed foods with primal ones, upping fat as you say, and not worrying about carbs. Haven't there been a few threads lately about VLC and burnout?

However, Selchie, I do encourage you to ease off on the snacks until you don't need them anymore. Three meals is plenty. Two is probably ideal.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I agree that very low carb is for extreme circumstances (like Griff's), but isn't necessary for most.

Here are the tweaks I would make:

Yesterday's menu was:
    Breakfast 3 scrambled eggs, black tea (no sugar or cream) almond flour pumpkin muffin [cut this muffin]
    snack 1 apple, 2 slices of cheese (I know, cheese isn't great, but I'm having a hard time removing it just yet)
    snack #2: a protein bar [cut this]
    Lunch: salad with grilled chicken, lettuce and some shredded cheese on top, no dressing [add fat to this meal--1/2 avocado and "clean" salad dressing]
    snack: blueberries with sliced ham
    Snack: hand full of freeze dried strawberries and banana mix [cut this]
    Dinner: rotisserie chicken leg and some mashed butternut squash [cut amount of squash in half and add a lot of greens; eat whole leg quarter]

Cheese: from what I've seen and have experienced myself, most women here can lose weight in the beginning with cheese still in the mix, but then a lot of us get to the point where we stall out with it still in the menu. You very well might be able to lose with it in there. Try it with and see how you do, but know that it's a possibility that it might have to go at some point in the future.

Are you hypoglycemic? One of the beauties of eating more fat (besides it making you look young and your skin and hair lovely) is that it keeps you full for a long time, so you won't need as many snacks.

Don't worry about being perfect in the beginning. I certainly wasn't. But I'm sitting here today, having turned my whole life around. This isn't a diet and, if done right, should be easily sustainable and dare I say enjoyable for the rest of your life. If things start feeling diet-y or miserable for you, then back off and reassess.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 05-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast