Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guzzling Coconut oil and observations so far page

UggaBugga is offline Junior Member

Guzzling Coconut oil and observations so far

I've been doing some reading on coconut oil-How does taking a couple of tablespoons of oil actually help you lose weight? When one month I ate a lot of cheese and only lost 1 pound. The previous month I ate a lot of Nuts and only lost 1-pound. Coco-oil is the same thing as cheese or nuts a lot of concetrated fat and calories?

My observations on going primal since last November-
    1. More energy
    2. My hip pain is gone!
    3. weight loss 45lbs...
    4. I'm shocked/Pissed off at the education on Nutrition in the U.S. Government food pyramid is flawed.
    5. Most Doctors do not know that a high carb/sugar diet actually increases Pattern B. LDL! My Doctor is one them!!
    6. I piss some people off when I mention that a steak is totally good for you and there is nothing wrong with saturated fat. (Good Calories Bad Calories, Gary Taubes)
    7. Low carb will lose fat but if we consume too much dietary fat throughout the day our bodies will use the fat we ate throughout the day instead of our fat stores. (Dr. Michael Eades)
    8. The huge importance of getting enough Vitamin D3 in our body-Again most doctors are in the dark on this subject-my doctor said "Supplementing with 400IU is more than enough" Little does she know that I'm taking 10,000IU!! To get my blood levels around 70ng/ml

Dr. Michael R. Eades low carbing and weight stall.....
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Low-carb and calories

How does coconut oil differ from other fat and calories such as cheese or nuts?

Thanks Everyone for any input!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    How does coconut oil differ from other fat and calories such as cheese or nuts?
    No carbs or protein, so no insulin-stimulating effect. No Omega 6. Still calories.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil (and palm oil) is mostly a medium chain triglyceride (MCT). Google MCT and you will find various claims for its ability to stimulate weightloss.

However, my view is that guzzling any fat is a poor starting point for weightloss. Per TPB, you need to work out your target macros then create a net calorie deficit to lose weight. Getting the macros right will enable your body to let go of stored fat and help address any metabolic issues.

Having determined what are your target macros, you then have to create mealplans to meet those targets. If you guzzle fat without tracking, you may easily exceed your calorie targets. And the weightloss stimulus of MCT is really a low order effect so I would focus on creating meals first. If you have a deficit of fat after having created meals that meet your protein and carb targets, by all means drink some coconut oil
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how but I've gotten leaner as well since I started eating coconut oil by the spoonful. I'll have about 3 spoonfuls with each meal. My calories are way over maintenance but somehow it doesn't seem to matter. I highly recommend people give it a try. There's not much to lose.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is a medium chained triglyceride. In studies it has been shown to actually improve HDL (good cholesterol) while have no affect on LDL (bad cholesterol). So if anything it improves your cholesterol ratio. Most of the saturated fat in coconut oil is in the form of lauric acid which has been used in traditional cultures for its antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal properties. Coconut oil is one of the best cooking oils because it can be used in medium heat cooking without getting easily oxidized like vegetable and conola oils (It is stable at room temperature unless you are in warmer conditions). Even olive oil gets oxidized when cooked too high which isn't the case for coconut oil.

There was a study done in the Phillippines (where coconuts are used and farmed heavily) on HIV/AIDS patients. The study showed that the patients using coconut oil administered by the tablespoon showed improvements in most of their symptoms. (These patients were not taking any other form of medications) One patient who was given the grim diagnosis of less than 3 months to live was actually still alive and thriving 5 years after the study was done. I learned about these studies from The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife and The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods by Michael Murray.

Another thing to note, despite coconut oil being an antibacterial/antifungal/antimicrobial, it does not destroy the beneficial gut flora.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

MichaelH is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    I don't know how but I've gotten leaner as well since I started eating coconut oil by the spoonful. I'll have about 3 spoonfuls with each meal. My calories are way over maintenance but somehow it doesn't seem to matter. I highly recommend people give it a try. There's not much to lose.
    Wow, I am just starting to incorporate coconut oil into my diet, and I have 1-2 tablespoons/day. I hadn't considered that I might have as much (or more) per meal. I will experiment with larger amounts.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    My own experience is that coconut oil is a 'fad' perpetuated via Internet enthusiasm.

I tried using it as my primary fat several years ago. I felt no effect at all on my appetite or weight loss. I didn't 'add' it but used it instead of my EVOO, so I kept my calorie level the same and lost the same amount that I was previously losing.

However, I'm hypothyroid, and when my endo checks me every 4 months, he also does a lipid profile. Coincidentally, I switched to coconut oil right after one of my check ups. Four months later, my LDL was up 50 points, and my endo asked me whether I had made any dietary changes. The only change was the coconut oil, and he advised me to eliminate it. I did. Four months later, my LDL was down 50 points. Clearly, it was the coconut oil.

How any food affects a person is an individual matter, but I would not blindly accept the 'benefits' of coconut oil without assessing how my body responds to it.

(Before anyone asks whether I had a VAP test to determine whether that was a "good" rise in LDL, I didn't because it doesn't matter. I've subsequently had a VAP test, and my LDL is 100% Pattern A, but, according to experts, that doesn't mean it's good to raise it unnecessarily. If coconut oil was the bonanza that's touted, it would raise my HDL.)

UggaBugga is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input-I noticed I get slightly nauceous and get a headache but 3 hours later I feel fine again, anyone have these side effects? I know when the first day I used this stufff I ran to the bathroom at least 5 times within a few hours at the shopping mall--not fun!! At least I could buy myself new clothes if I had too! haha

julie-a is offline Member
    Coconut oil can bother your stomach especially if you're not used to it. You should increase the amount gradually as high as 4 -5 tbs a day and it's better to take it with food. I like mine in a smoothie or dissolved in tea, or just cook with it (and it's really good in raw butter freezer fudge!).

I don't use enough of it but have been wanting to for long time. It can help heal thyroid problems and boost metabolism, balance hormones, etc, etc,. I wouldn't want to assume coconut oil was bad only because it seemed to make my cholesterol go up either, higher cholesterol isn't necessarily a bad thing and totally misses the point if all you're focusing on is that number and not underlying health issues. But that's just me...

P.S. I like coconut butter even better and it's easier for me to take off the spoon.

MichaelH is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by UggaBugga View Post
    Thanks for the input-I noticed I get slightly nauceous and get a headache but 3 hours later I feel fine again, anyone have these side effects? I know when the first day I used this stufff I ran to the bathroom at least 5 times within a few hours at the shopping mall--not fun!! At least I could buy myself new clothes if I had too! haha
    For some reason, the first time I had a significant portion of coconut milk, I got a headache. I thought it was weird, because I would often have Thai curry with no bad affects. However, now I eat coconut milk and coconut oil and feel great.

I think that any oil has the potential to upset your stomach if you don't incorporate it gradually. I once had a sample of flaxseed oil, and taking it (about a tablespoon or so) made me feel nauseous.

Hey UggaBugga - I'm also on the the northisde of Chicago, btw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast