Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting to deevolve physically, evolve mentally page

secretlobster is offline Senior Member

Starting to deevolve physically, evolve mentally

Shop Now
    I started primal two days ago and have already lost three pounds of water weight. Loved the Primal Blueprint book and I've been recommending it to people who I think would benefit from it, or at least be receptive.

I love carbs, but we can't get along. It's a bad relationship I need to quit. I feel bloated and lethargic after eating bread or rice, even though I love them, but I'd rather feel good during the 95% of my day when I'm not pounding food into my gullet. There are some pros and cons to going primal for me personally:

Pros: I've known for a while now that I need more protein. I'm looking to replace about 10lbs of fat with muscle. I love vegetables and I avoid processed food anyway (I'm scared to death of modern diseases). I love cooking for myself and I'm pretty good with willpower. I have been trying to eat more fish and this diet will really propel my workouts and Muay Thai training.

Cons: I will miss you, delicious bagel breakfasts. I can't bring myself to enjoy fatty meat... I strongly prefer a filet to a short rib. I may have some trouble getting past my aversion to fat.

At some point three years ago, I was 5'7" and 180lbs. I lost 40lbs through a combination of starving myself and exercising 6 days a week. It worked, I lost the weight, but battled an eating disorder afterward because I couldn't eat like a human being (not a junk food monster) without gaining the weight back. While I'm maintaining my current weight of about 138-140, I'm also getting serious about nutrition and body composition and while I'm not looking to obsess over the mirror or the scale or the tape measure, I really want a lifestyle that doesn't require me to count calories. I realize now that I'm not going to get my six pack by eating an 800-calorie-a-day diet of 90% bread, regardless of how much exercise I get.

So here's my first journal entry!

Today I had cottage cheese and some fruit (mostly berries) for breakfast, larb gai chicken (minced meat with onions in lettuce wraps) and a turkey sandwich for lunch (I know it has bread, I'm just finishing the bread I bought last week, then I'm done) and dinner will be some leftover soup I made yesterday (chicken, swiss chard, garlic and ginger). My coworkers laughed at me today because they think the primal diet is a "fad".

Tomorrow there is a cookout at work, so I'm hoping for some serious meat!!

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    $10 sez that aversion to fat goes away....

After a week without grains, yeah, I will probably devour a bucket of lard

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    The fat thing was the hardest thing for me to accept. If you can't take the fatty meats yet (I've come to prefer them) get some coconut manna and go to town. Coconut Cream Concentrate - Tropical Traditions or https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-manna/ Goes on sale periodically.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

That's an awesome suggestion. I'll look for some at the store today! Looks like coconut is the miracle fruit around here. That's cool.

Breakfast: Greek yogurt
    Snack: four out of six cheese-and-peanut-butter-crackers. It was the last one in the box. I ate four and felt guilty so I threw the last two away. Not buying any more.
    Lunch: Two hot dogs and one (high quality) bratwurst link, no buns, spicy mustard, onions sautéed in butter, remnants of a tiny salad
    Dinner: Rest of my chicken/garlic/ginger/swiss chard soup.

I probably need to be eating more calories overall and I'm still trying to un-warp my brain in terms of "fat is bad" "low-cal is good" but I'm trying. I'm keeping track of my carb intake, which in the past could be REALLY high. Today it is 46g which is a big improvement. I'm going to try to update this journal daily until being primal comes more naturally.
    Last edited by secretlobster; 05-12-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Day Three...
    I finally got enough time to go Primal Grocery Shopping and I was actually surprised at the amount of ingredients I found at the conventional grocery store. Picked up some coconut oil, coconut milk, almond butter, almond oil (because it was there), nuts and some dried fruit, avocados, and raw honey. Haven't seen a bill that high in quite some time. Great, now I'm that hippie douche looking at the ingredients at all the boxes in the organic aisle. I made Mark's recipe for sweet & salty trail mix last night and it is DELICIOUS! I'm looking forward to making a pan of his primal energy bars for my trip to Iceland next month. We're going on a 5 day hike (8 hours of hiking per day) and I'd like to make sure I eat as primal as possible without starving.

The good from yesterday: I had a ton of energy and strength. I paired up with a big dude at Muay Thai training last night and we kicked the shit out of one another. It was awesome.
    The bad from yesterday: My stomach was very, very angry. I would love to be 100% primal right now, but I am definitely going to have to make a more gradual descent into primal living.

I've been doing a ton of reading around the forums and honestly, I'm discouraged. This sounds like a great way to live for men, but the women here seem to really struggle with it, at least for a long time. I'm afraid of gaining weight, feeling bloated, losing energy. Someone said in a post yesterday that women need to completely eliminate fruit and nuts from their diet - I'm screwed if this is the case. Right now I'm focusing on a short-term goal of making protein the main part of my diet, and cutting carbs to 40-80g. This alone is a huge change for me.

I've planned out my meals for the day and this looks to be the macronutrient sum. I will aim to get some more protein today if possible:
    calories: 1,176
    carbs: 80g
    fat: 65g
    protein: 73g
    Last edited by secretlobster; 05-13-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Day four...
    Breakfast: Some kefir yogurtymilksubstance, macadamia nuts
    Lunch: Big ass salad with chicken
    Snack: Beef jerky and some of the homemade sweet and salty trail mix (so damn good)
    Dinner: Chicken kabobs with onions and peppers marinated in raw honey, olive oil, spices

I'm starting to really enjoy jerky, so I'm going to buy a bunch of all-natural no-sugar-added beef/buffalo jerky online. This is another small step into the world of enjoying protein as a snack. No grains today at all. I've gained about a pound so far but I feel okay.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing a ton of reading around the forums and honestly, I'm discouraged. This sounds like a great way to live for men, but the women here seem to really struggle with it, at least for a long time.
    Actually, there are plenty of us who don't struggle--we just don't post a lot of "Help me, I've hit a plateau" threads.
    Feel free to check out my PB journal.

Thanks!! That is enlightening. I will definitely check out your journal.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast