Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting to deevolve physically, evolve mentally page 2

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'll second that - I am a female who doesnt struggle at all, feel great, stable weight. and I eat some dairy, dark chocolate, red wine and even a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee each morning. I love this way of eating - I love not feeling hungry for hours and hous after eating. I even have mental clarity and energy in the late afternoon. There can be times when my female hormones are clamoring for sweets, when i am hungrier than usual due to PMS - but I had all that before I went primal. It's true, estrogen and progesterone cause some water retention and weight gain and increase appetite when they are high, but that doesn't negate he benefits of primall eating and living.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I truly appreciate the input, especially from supportive women who are successful with this lifestyle!

Day five...
    Insanely hectic day.
    Breakfast: Boring-ass yogurt
    Lunch: Salad with grilled chicken and almonds
    Snack: Beef jerky, (high fat, no added sugars), some of my trail mix
    Dinner: Boyfriend wanted to get BBQ after a concert so I got two pieces of jerk chicken (with skin!) and green beans sauteed in butter

Damn I'm eating a lot of chicken. Haven't eaten any grains in a few days and there is some water weight right now but I'm still feeling fine. It's day six and I don't think a one pound gain is bad at all. If it makes any sense, my body composition "feels" good - I have gained some water weight (you can feel it beneath your musculature) but I feel like I'm pinching slightly less fat around my abdomen. Clothes fit about the same but I don't expect results (especially good ones) within one week.

For my own embarrassment I'm posting a "before" picture I took a couple of days ago so that I have a frame of reference. I'm okay with how my arms look, but I have some belly and thigh (mercifully not pictured) fat that I would like to get rid of. I've been doing serious core exercises for four years now - know I've got abs under there, I want to be able to see them!

It's been a week. I'm sick. Hey, I thought Grok was supposed to have a superior immune system?
    Seeing as how I have no appetite today, and not up to getting any serious exercise, I may try IF.
    Yesterday I had half an avocado, cottage cheese, organic Mexican beef stew (I picked out the corn kernels), a piece of delicious Manchego cheese (life without cheese would suck), three all natural andouille sausages with salsa and some dried apricots for dinner. That's what I eat when I can't go to kickboxing on an empty stomach and I don't have time to make anything complicated.
    Much-needed self-esteem picture: I like the look of arms after punching someone for an hour. I don't care about looking bulky, at least in that area.

I'm still not sure about a goal weight. I'm starting at 140 and went up one pound to 141. I originally planned on 130 but maybe I'll figure out a way to get an accurate bf% instead.

I've been sick with a stupid cold and I stayed home from work because I hadn't slept in three nights. Yesterday I had zero appetite and didn't eat much of anything at all. Today I skipped breakfast and finally got hungry around noon.
    Lunch was a salad of fresh spinach, half a red and half a green bell pepper, balsamic and olive oil
    Ate a handful of almonds and tried out some jerky I got in the mail
    Dinner was carne asada with peppers and onions

I weighed in this morning just under 140. So after 8 days, no weight gain, no carb cravings, but I do have a shitty cold so I've been eating less. We'll see how long this lasts. I'm in love with dried meat. And yes I will marry it, thank you.

I'm feeling better. I was wondering for a while if my illness was the infamous "carb flu" but it really is just a cold.

I'm also down to 139.2 on the scale which doesn't seem like much of a drop, but it's the lowest I've seen in two months, and after more than a week of primal eating, it means I've only lost weight, not gained. That is probably due to the fact that I've been eating relatively little because I haven't had much of an appetite. I haven't noticed any significant physical changes except the fact that I don't feel bloated after eating anymore. Ladies, you know how it feels; you look in the mirror after eating grains and you just LOOK bigger. So that's an improvement. I'm also feeling like my body isn't reacting badly to the change, which is more than I hoped for.

I made a sauteÚd zucchini with olive oil and ate a larabar for dinner last night because I had to work and couldn't go shopping. Lunch yesterday was some chicken panang curry, no rice. Just delicious coconut.

My goal is to get as close to 100% as possible because in five weeks I'll be in Iceland and when I'm traveling, I love to eat the local food. I am going to take some primal snacks with me for the hiking, breakfasts, and the plane flight, and I don't plan on eating bakery goods. Iceland is known for delicious meat and fish which is great, but we're also determined to get delicious pizza and fish&chips. So right now I'm aiming for 100% (120%?) rather than 80/20.

It's been about a week and a half now. I am feeling good. I have a confession to make though... Saturday I had to go to a baby shower 2.5 hours away, and I was starving by the time I got there. I was hoping for a plate of veggies or even fruit, but no. Nothing but baked goods. I had a slice of cheesecake and a cupcake even though I wasn't craving it, I was just starving, and I felt horribly guilty afterward. Physically, I actually felt fine. Made up for it on Sunday with a breakfast of melon and bacon, and boyfriend made primalized chili for dinner. I brought in a BAS for lunch today... Spinach and lots of green peppers with balsamic.

CW is 138.

Still at 138, which is fine.
    Yesterday I ate a lot of goodness!
    Breakfast: Larabar
    Lunch: Grilled chicken with steamed vegetables
    Snack: Beef jerky, only about 1oz
    Dinner: Thai grilled beef over salad, marinated in lime juice.... So good

I finally got to come back to the exercise world last night which was great. My muay thai partner was a man about 100lbs heavier than I who apparently thought we were engaging in a swimsuit competition rather than a sparring match, so he kept asking if I was alright, if he hurt me, if I wanted to keep going... So I did the only thing I could do. I crushed him. I would rather spar with people who intend to land a hit, not people who are afraid of hurting me. I haven't really been hurt yet. Jammed toes, bruises, that's not really "hurt".

I'm over my cold. I have a feeling that the primal lifestyle is responsible for healing as quickly as I did.

Okay. I may have over-eaten yesterday, without really wanting to. I ate a larabar... a Greek yogurt AND a small thing of cottage cheese (why did I do this???), some jerky, grilled chicken over salad, a green papaya salad (peanuts painstakingly removed), another larabar, some awesome manchego cheese. The dairy has me inflamed. Normally I'm fine with dairy but yesterday was a lot and I think I learned my lesson.

Today I resolve to do better. I'm eating my cultured coconut milk instead of yogurt (at $2 each, without the $.26 discount, they're not cheap but they are good). I put together a salad of mixed greens and one whole pepper (half red half green), balsamic dressing, and some yellowfin tuna packed in olive oil to go on it for protein. For dinner I'm making curried meatballs (thanks, Everyday Paleo!) with some fresh fiddleheads I found.

I wonder if I'm doing this right. I do feel slightly less poofy (except for today after my inexplicable dairy binge), but I'm still not eating enough protein and fat. It's inconvenient but not really emotionally difficult not to eat grains. I thought I was going to finish off the rest of my bread for sandwiches, but I didn't really feel like it. I haven't eaten any grain or glutenous products in two weeks and it's fine.

One thing that pissed me off yesterday was going to lunch with two female coworkers. Both quite thin. One of them said she wanted a burger, and the other responded "oooh you go girl, go for it, if I ate that I would be SO full and it's so bad for you" so she ended up getting a smaller sandwich instead. Women are really awful to one another, always commenting on one another's eating habits. You know what, I'd rather eat the burger (WITH BUN) than feel guilted into eating something else. Stupid typical chicks.

I should read nutrition info more carefully BEFORE purchasing. "So Delicious" cultured coconut milk contains 20g of carbohydrates, 6g fat, only 1g protein. It tastes really good and it does have live cultures in it but I'm not sure I can justify the carb count.

perennialpam is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to mention that I started off my weight loss journey in late January. It took a while before I began losing.

I stopped all grains, sugar and most processed food but included an entire grapefruit every day with an oz. of almonds. My stomach is definitely the place where I have lost the most weight since that time. I normally would lose it in my bust, so this primal eating does take fat off in different places.

I'm not as active as you but do loads of gardening when the weather breaks here in Michigan. Once I began the gardening, weight came off much easier. I'm still not eating any grains but have begun including small portions of white, sweet potatoes and brown rice. I continue to take off one-half a pound a week which is nice and slow. Sometimes I have eaten over 100 carbs but most of the time I keep the carbs lower. Never stayed under 50 as suggested in the book. Glad I didn't have to.

Good luck with your journey. Pam

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast