Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acid/alkaline....nonsense or? page

Osa007 Guest

Shop Now

Hola - I'm looking for some insight into the acid/alkaline fad that seems connected with vegan raw foodists (mainly encountered it at the blog of the gal who wrote crazysexycancer - she seems to have becomes extreme & looks frail, hope she keeps her cancer in check.) anyway - on one level it's total bunk - your body regulates your blood ph, thank god, because any minor change either way & you'd be a corpse. Your stomach is acid - whatever leaves it is acid. However - I'm wondering if this isn't what these folks are talking about? Or are they indeed ignorant & brainwashed? It's true bodily fluids can be either acidic or alkaline...semen is alkaline & the vagina is acid - as most women know the more acidic the better or you'll get an infection....urine....saliva...etc. I would guess there's about zero basis for this 'diet' - (and the enzyme thing!), for instance eating 'raw' - well, you could say the stomach has it's way of 'cooking' it in all that acid...just like thinly sliced raw fish in lemon juice essentially cooks it.

Just wondering if I don't understand what these folks are talking about - ? Because they can't be talking about blood, & given the stomach acidifies all food....? Hard to believe these folks would be that gullible...?

Thanks for any insight!

ChristopherPlank Guest

The acid/alkaline diets have always puzzled me. It's one of those things that "makes sense" just thinking about it... but on closer examination seems to fall apart.

The theory is that the food you eat affects the PH balance of your blood and other fluids in your body, and the more alkaline your body is, the more it will resist disease because disease somehow can't survive in an alkaline environment. Certain foods are classified as being "alkaline foods" that cause you to become more alkaline. Followers of this type of diet will test the PH of their saliva and try to get is as alkaline as possible.

So far, I haven't found anywhere that offers concrete evidence to support any portion of that argument. I've known people who follow this type of diet and they are able to (at least temporarily) change the PH of their saliva. I've heard from several doctors, though, that the PH of your saliva doesn't actually correlate to the PH of your blood or any other body fluid. Oops!

The other major problem with this belief system is that if you look at a ton of different websites, there seems to be a lot of disagreement on what foods are actually the preferred alkaline foods, and which ones are acidic. Some say all meat will cause acidity. Some say chicken is neutral. Some say chicken will cause alkalinity. So, even if you completely believe in this type of a diet, what should you actually eat??

From looking at most of the recommended foods, it would seems that the benefits people get from this diet have to do with eating less starches, less processed carbs, less sugars, and a lot more veggies... which would obviously benefit pretty much anyone.

Kasey is offline Member

You said it yourself Osa, "your body regulates your blood ph"

And how does it do this? By leeching calcium (the most abundant alkaline mineral in your body) from your teeth and bones into the blood stream to buffer your blood PH back to normal. So a long term acidifying diet would eventually lead to osteoporosis. That's the theory anyways.

Most fruits and vegetables leave an alkaline ash in the body, while most nuts, seeds, grains and meat leave an acid ash.

Since meat is very acidic to the body, eating it with lots of veggies to balance things out seems like a smart idea.

It makes sense, but so many theories "make sense". It's tough to sift through all the knowledge that's out there and find some truth! I think there's some truth to this one though. Feels right to me.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Your blood is always going to stay between 7.35 and 7.45 pH. The foods you eat and the lifestyle you live will effect this by attempting to take you out of homeostasis, so your body stresses its organs and systems to keep it between 7.35 and 7.45.

Now conventional wisdom will tell us that most fruits, vegetables, and teas are alkaline. Also, oils like olive oil are neutral. Most protein foods and other foods are acidic.

Now, from what I've been reading lately, this is kind of true to a point except different foods can be very alkaline and/or very acidic to different people. On top of that, some people tend to naturally be more acidic or more alkaline.

I wouldn't micromanage it too much unless your really having relevant symptoms. Be healthy, be happy.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

I remember reading about this in Cordain's book and being paranoid about acidity for about a month..

But the more I learn the more it sounds pretty bunky. I think for whatever acidity is induced by meat (if the acidity theory is even true), whatever is leeched from bones to buffer it is also replaced by the meat itself.

Even if the theory is true, I doubt people eating a mostly meat based diet would be any worse off than the people eating the SAD.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure on the eating a lot of meat only leading to osteoporosis. From what I hear from carnivores they report stronger teeth and bones, including increasing bone density.

Acmebike is offline Member

BlazeKING, definitely the data shows H/G groups eating high fat/high meat diets (to the exclusion of grains and plant matter) have more robust bones, taller stature, better dental health. Anthropologists can tell at a glance of skeletal fossils/remains wether the owner was a grain eating agriculturalist (thin, weak and damaged bone structure), or a meat eating Hunter/Gatherer.

My own long term carnivore experiment coincided with the healing of two cavities, and visible (in the dentists X rays, before and after) thickening of my jaw bones and of my tooth enamel. My dentist was happy to see it, but at a loss to explain, knowing I shun grains, CW and exist primarily on meat.

klcarbaugh Guest

I personally think it is bogus.

The pH of your urine is the only thing that is affected.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...SH/coral2.html

Del Mar Mel Guest

Aside from the fact that I do believe in the PH balance theory, if you read Mark's book, he also agrees with the conclusion that animal products are acidifying and should therefore be consumed with a lot of plant food which has an alkalyzing affect.

In addition, diseases such as cancer, thrive in an acidic environment. Though I have yet to hear mainstream medicine acknowledging this in the treatment of cancer, I do have a friend who is an ICU nurse working mostly with chemo patients. ALL of their patients are taken entirely off of animal products and fed green smoothies while they are being treated. Naturally they are going to claim that the chemo produces miraculous recovery but many doctors will openly admit that the chemo itself is very dangerous. Seems to me they are doing all they can to hedge their bets.

I encourage everyone to read Mark's book and truly embrace his entire theory. He is an equal proponent of animals and plants and he openly says the acidity of animal products ought to be balanced by the plant foods. To abandon that part of the message pretty much lands you in the Atkins camp which seems like a pretty unbalanced diet.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

Acmebike, that is very amazing and fits in with what I have heard elsewhere. I am considering an all meat diet. My bone structure was weakened substantially by CW diet in the past, but thankfully I am only in my mid 20's so I found out the truth on evolutionary nutrition early on and have changed. I have noticed in the past 2 weeks that bumping up my protein intake to about 200-230g's a day (I'm 160 lbs) has made me feel stronger, more alive, and happier. What other changes, good or bad, did you notice going carnivore?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast