Thread: How to eat more calories? page

Mick812 is offline Member

How to eat more calories?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I've lost over 50 pounds, and recently switched to primal and have eliminated grains, drastically reduced carbs to easily under 50g every day and kept my sugars under 15g a day. Carbs are usually around 20-30g a day. I have reached a comfortable weight of around 180 as a 6'1" male. I am weight lifting 4 days a week and have stopped doing cardio everyday cutting back to maybe 2-3 times per week.

This entire journey my caloric intake has been way to low for my size at no more than 1300 calories a day. The deficit definitely accelerated my weight and fat loss for the first few months, but I think my metabolic system has adjusted and doesn't expend us much energy and has slowed fat loss.I want to put on more muscle and get rid of the remaining fat, so I have been trying to eat more calories a day but am finding it tough to do without increasing my carb intake. Typical diet is something like this.

Weekdays I don't usually eat breakfast and I fast from about 8pm-12pm. Just not hungry during the week and trying to maximize fat loss (still have some to lose). I have been drinking a cup of coffee with half and half.
    For lunch, its almost always a BAS with spinach greens, a chicken breast, brocolli, cumcumbers, peppers, little bit of chesse, a hard boiled egg, oil and vinegar dressing.
    Dinner is usually a meat, sometimes lean steaks, chicken, pork and a nice helping of a green vegetable. I have been cooking my meat in olive oil and putting butter on my vegatables.
    On weekends I will usually cook some bacon and cook the eggs in bacon fat.
    I have also been eating 2 tablespoons of almond butter almost daily to up my fat and caloric intake and occasionally will have a cheese stick for a snack.

Still, I can't seem to eat more than 1300 calories a day and usually feel pretty full after dinner. With the goal being to lose a little more residual fat and put on muscle, I'm trying to find a good balance. Macros usually work out to between 55-60% fat, 30-35% protein, 10-15% carbs.

Suggestions to up caloric intake? I have increased the oils and butters. Maybe a nice shake in the morning with some coconut milk, but don't want much sugar or carbs from fruits in there. Sure I would love to eat fattier steaks, but they're expensive. Ideas? Thoughts?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick812 View Post
    This entire journey my caloric intake has been way to low for my size at no more than 1300 calories a day.
    Definitely. IIRC, the RDA for adult males is around 2500 Kcal—and you're quite active as well.

Still, I can't seem to eat more than 1300 calories a day and usually feel pretty full after dinner. With the goal being to lose a little more residual fat and put on muscle, I'm trying to find a good balance. Macros usually work out to between 55-60% fat, 30-35% protein, 10-15% carbs.
    Personally, I'd eat rather less protein and rather more carbohydrate than that. (For a number of reasons this among them.) But macronutrient ratios aren't the most important thing, and yours seem within reasonable limits. I think it's just a case of MORE rather than more of this or that—that is, if you really are eating only 1300 calories.

Here's what I had the other day.

Breakfast:

half teaspoon cod liver oil
    half grapefruit
    2 eggs scrambled with a tablespoon of butter
    1 banana
    1 oz. pecans

Lunch:

2 oz turkey
    large salad dressed with 1 tablespoon olive oil and some vinegar
    2 oz. Gruyere cheese
    spoonful of honey

Dinner:

1 tablespoon coconut oil
    Chili con carne, including about 7 oz beef
    1 avocado

1 teaspoon Naturalcalm magnesium supplement

i don't usually record what I eat, but I did that day. That lot came to around 2500 kcal and worked out at about 64% fat, 19% protein, 16% carbs and got me more than the RDA for more nutrients except thiamine. But that'd be over on an other day when I had pork which is very rich in thiamine.

I guess you need to aim at that sort of quantity of food to be within a sensible calorific intake. If you don't have breakfast, then either your lunch or your dinner would have to be double the size to make up for what you didn't eat on rising if you want your calorific intake not to be too low.

That's the thing. Everyone preaches increasing protein to increase muscle mass, but I know too much is not good. But still, I usually keep protein to around 90-100g a day, which isn't that much. I guess I just don't want to resort to eating more cheese, fruit and nuts for fear of putting weight back on that I worked so hard to lose. And it would be hard to increase portions of meat without increasing protein.

d2mini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick812 View Post
    Dinner is usually a meat, sometimes lean steaks, chicken, pork and a nice helping of a green vegetable. I have been cooking my meat in olive oil and putting butter on my vegatables.
    Cook the meat in coconut oil or ghee instead. Olive Oil changes composition at high temps making fairly bad for you. Keep the olive oil and macadamia nut oils for dressings.
    -dennis

Red Wire is offline Senior Member
    How to Gain Weight and Build Muscle | Mark's Daily Apple

Mark has some good posts on body building. My first take is, you need start shoveling more food in. Start eating breakfast daily.

Sample Breakfast (This is what i eat EVERY day about an hour after I wake up)

4 eggs scrambled and fried in butter
    3 slices of bacon
    2 slices of scrapple(its got liver and heart in it) fried in butter
    1 potato sliced and fried in butter.
    1 glass raw milk.

Also, cut back on vegetables. They are low energy density and if you want to put on muscle you need to replace these foods with higher energy stuff. If you are going to eat them, cook them to death, preferably in homemade beef stock, to make the nutrients more available and ditch most of the fiber. Get a whole liver at least once a week(as per wise traditions and sally fallon).

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Somebody with more know-how than me is going to come on here and tell you to quit eating lean meats and eat some well-marbled beef. How about a nice 16 oz t-bone steak?
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Wrong.

Eat more meat. Period.

At 180 lbs and 6'1 you must be in the 10-12% BF. which means you need at least 170g of protein while working out as much as you do.

If you want to put on muscle then you need to eat more meat.

Why are you worried about carbs? You exercise enough and your metabolism is not broken. You could go even higher than the 150g of carb "threshhold" let alone the 50g if you needed to.

You also need to read the book. Then read Chapter 8. Then read Chapter 8 again with your specific goals in mind. Severe caloric restriction at your BF level will never amount to any lean gains.

Eat more meat.

Rummy is offline Junior Member
    I manage to eat about 2500-3000 kCal most days.

Here is a link into a pretty average day in my fitday account if you want to get an idea.

ThisIsRummy - free online diet and fitness journal

Its basically what these guys are saying. Relatively high fat (I go through a ton of ghee), no fruit unless whole cream is involved (its like 34% fat) big portions of meat, at this point I was doing about 600cal protein and 600 cal carbs, the rest fat.

Thanks for input. And I would eat fattier steaks but just dont have money to buy expensive steaks. I'm definitely going to start cooking my meats in coconut oil. Guess I need to eat more meat period.

And i been have restricting carb intake so much because I have been so amazed by how body fat I've lost. But I know that will only burn so much so I should probably eat more sweet potatoes. Ketosis is amazing but I know it's not sustainable. I'm admittedly way to strict with my carbs. Just don't want to gain weight but increase my muscle mass.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    If you gain muscle mass, you will gain weight. Don't use the scale to judge your progress as it will totally fuck with your mind.
    You don't necessarily need to eat steaks either - 80% ground beef is hella cheap compared to actual steaks. Eat a pound of that per day and you just added 900 calories, 95g protein and 60g of fat; all for less than $4 for regular meat cooked in pastured butter (like Kerrygold). TA-DA! That's it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.