Thread: Pangasius fish page

marylouh67 is offline Junior Member

Pangasius fish

Has anyone found solid information as to whether this fish is safe to eat and sustainably raised? I've encountered conflicting information about this, although I can tell you it's a catfish relative that's native to and farmed in the Mekong delta region of Vietnam. I can also tell you it's really tasty - I had some at a recent gathering, and I'm trying to learn more about it. Would love to add it to the fish rotation, but... not if it's not healthy or going to leave me with a guilty conscience.

Thanks!
    Mary Louise

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that, unfortunately, most of them are raised in Vietnam (at least the ones I've looked at) :-/
    Meats, fish and eggs should always be as wild as possible. Nothing directly BAD with including them, though.

Thanks for the reply. We probably found some of the same information. Your point about wild-raised is a good one, but I also think that farmed vs. wild is a complicated issue (deplete wild stocks vs. raise inferior stocks). I think what concerns me is the import distance and uncertainty about farming practices there, and the information available seems pretty mixed.

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Pangasius has a horrible reputation where I live. Check here. But some people think it's a hoax.

Either way, to me it tastes like mud so I avoid it like plague.

@Fafalia
    Yes - I too saw the horrifying information on that website. I don't know how to verify if it's a hoax or not. It's not commonly on the menu around this part of the US, but what we had was amazingly sweet with a wonderful texture. It seems more popular in other parts of the world. So many variables when it comes to imported fish... farming/fishing practices, transport, suppliers... but then again I suppose that's true of more than just fish.

starrchilde is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried searching under the name Basa? It's another name for this fish (and the one most commonly associated with it here). I know that Whole Foods won't sell it, at one point there is a sign about it in our local store.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Fact Sheet says it's a "Good Alternative" but it is totally farmed.

On the other hand, Food and Water Watch's Smart Seafood Guide says that it can be contaminated with antibiotic, pesticide or bacterial residues.
    ~ Chris

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment.

I told them they didn’t understand life.
    — John Lennon

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by starrchilde View Post
    Have you tried searching under the name Basa? It's another name for this fish (and the one most commonly associated with it here). I know that Whole Foods won't sell it, at one point there is a sign about it in our local store.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Fact Sheet says it's a "Good Alternative" but it is totally farmed.

On the other hand, Food and Water Watch's Smart Seafood Guide says that it can be contaminated with antibiotic, pesticide or bacterial residues.
    I agree with starrchilde. I use the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch list as well and Basa is considered a "Good Alternative". If you can get it wild caught it would obviously be better than the farmed variety which would definitely be more susceptible to contaminants.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow - thanks! I wasn't aware of the aquarium resources, but that makes sense they would know

I think I'm still a little skeptical. I agree that wild-caught might be better than farmed. In the end it might be a non-issue since I haven't seen it at any of the stores here (we had it served at a restaurant, so I may not see it retail). I emailed the fish market in town too (Empire Fish - an awesome place), but I haven't heard back from them (yet). In all honesty, I trust the stores I shop at to do a lot of this leg-work (Outpost Natural Foods, and Empire Fish), and I haven't seen it there, so maybe that should be an indicator right there...

Thanks for the input!