Thread: Sugar/CHO Binge and how I got back on track page

JBBR is offline Junior Member

Sugar/CHO Binge and how I got back on track

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I've seen a bunch of posts about sugar cravings, so I thought I might post about my rececnt success with recovering from a binge.

I've been going Primal for about a month with relatively low carb (>50g/day) the whole time, but the other day I visited my parents for Mothers day and it was hard to find something nutritious to eat. I ended up settling for a Cliff bar, however I had maybe just a few more than 1 I don't normally count calories, but I wanted to accurately assess the damage. I assume I must have been about 1000 calories over my maintenance and maybe about 120g or so more of CHO than normal.

Anyways, I was going to follow up the next day up with an IF and intended to eat the following night dinner, however I felt great and made it all the way to the next morning (36hrs total). Now I'm back on track, have better appetite control, and no desire for sugar cravings. Kinda like a reprogramming.

Not that I plan on a binge anytime soon, but if it does happen, I think I might try this the next time and just listen to my body like I did this time.

Hope this proves helpful to some!

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Glad you got back on track .

I have to admit, I am wary of the idea of IFing after eating something off my plan. It's just a bit too much like eating disorder behaviour for me (some bulimics "purge" by fasting, exercising etc after binges). I prefer to get up the next day and make myself something really nutritious and tasty. But we're all different .
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

otzi Guest
    I saw a girl on TV who cured herself of bulimia by cutting herself everytime she binged. Eventually she quit binging, but started cutting herself every time she did something she felt bad about....

I think a forced fast to punish yourself sounds a little drastic. I always thought IFs should be spontaneous and only if they feel right.

Sorry for the lecture--maybe this is right for you.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the two previous posters, and I frequently read on low carb boards where people over-exercise or fast because they indulged too much.

However, the OP mentioned "listening to his body," and if that was the source of his IF, then it wasn't negative IMO. A couple of years ago, I was at my sister's house for 4 days at Christmas. After a big meal on Christmas Eve and a lot of eating on Christmas Day (although I stayed Primal), the next day, my body was longing for a fast. I had no intention of doing one, but I just went with whatever I was feeling, planning to eat when it 'felt right.' I wound up with a very small dinner as my only food that day--about 350 cal.

So I agree that it's ED behavior to 'punish' oneself for dietary indiscretions, but I also believe in listening to one's body as much as possible.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Glad you got back on track .

I have to admit, I am wary of the idea of IFing after eating something off my plan. It's just a bit too much like eating disorder behaviour for me (some bulimics "purge" by fasting, exercising etc after binges). I prefer to get up the next day and make myself something really nutritious and tasty. But we're all different .
    I agree horsewoman, I used to be bulimic so this kind of behavior would feel like punishment. I'd just delay my first meal the next day and make sure to eat stuff that'll make me feel less bloaty and guilty

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Just another side of the "argument:" A number of the advocates for Healthy At Every Size (HAES) and body-listening suggest that naturally thin folks (people who don't focus on food) wait until they are hungry, especially after eating "too much." Their body simply digests, and they may wait half a day or more before their body suggests they are hungry again. If this is what the poster is doing, then I think it is and can be very healthy. If it is used psychologically a tool to abuse yourself after doing a "bad" thing, then of course, that is not healthy.

But I can certainly see everyone's concern. I suffered from an eating disorder for many years, and hearing this would have given me one more tool in my arsenal. Instead, I just never ate anything bad and still starved myself for days on end. Thank god that is over!

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I saw a girl on TV who cured herself of bulimia by cutting herself everytime she binged. Eventually she quit binging, but started cutting herself every time she did something she felt bad about....

I think a forced fast to punish yourself sounds a little drastic. I always thought IFs should be spontaneous and only if they feel right.

Sorry for the lecture--maybe this is right for you.
    That is a great example. No need to punish yourself if you indulge once in a while. You are a human, and compared to the way others eat, having too many cliff bars is not a problem at all. If I eat too much sugar I feel crappy the next day, however I just eat primal again and feel fine as the day goes on.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I think the big difference is your intention. There is nothing inherently "punishing" about using IF to do a metabolic reset.

otzi Guest
    I remember the Atkins craze in the 90's, so many people would fall off the LC wagon and then 'punish' theirselves by going zero carb for a few days or weeks. This became their routine, follow atkins, fall off wagon, zero carb until next time they fell off. I think it starts out innocently, but ends up a visious cycle that ends with them going back to unhealthy eating.

I can see that with IF'ing after a non-primal day. I think if you fall off, just get back on. Think about why you fell off and try to not let it happen again. Eventually you will stay on track more than not. If you have an 'out' it's easier to justify those candy bars and donuts--'I'll just not eat for 24 hours!'.

None of this is directed at the OP, just a thought that I probably should have just kept to myself.
    Later