Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you determine your ideal calorie intake? page

eira is offline Member

How do you determine your ideal calorie intake?

Shop Now
    BMR calculators? How do i know if i am 'sedentery' 'active' or 'lightly active'? are those terms being used for overweight america or do they really mean active when they say active?

I keep trying not to think about calories but after eating 1400-1600 a day, i am at the same measurements/ weight i was a month and a half ago- and i am always moving around! for that reason i have *sort of* lost faith in the online calorie thing... anyone have other suggestions?

how do you determine how many calories you need to lose/maintain?

Docter is offline Member
    Eat until you're full.

Edit: On a serious note, if this is for weight loss then just reduce your calorie intake. Ignore those guidelines -- figure out what works for you.
    Last edited by Docter; 05-11-2011 at 09:34 AM.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Docter View Post
    Eat until you're full.
    For me, "full" means "not hungry". If I eat until I get a feeling of fullness in my stomach, I gain weight. I also have to let myself be hungry a little more throughout the day. However, on primal this doesn't make me feel like I want to kill someone and eat them. I just feel a little hungry and its ok. It also takes four or five hours even after breakfast (my smallest meal of the day) to get this way where I was hungry every two or three hours before.

Eira: Can you post a typical day's eating with portion sizes? It might help us figure out if you could be using your calories to give you more boost.

eira is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    For me, "full" means "not hungry". If I eat until I get a feeling of fullness in my stomach, I gain weight. I also have to let myself be hungry a little more throughout the day. However, on primal this doesn't make me feel like I want to kill someone and eat them. I just feel a little hungry and its ok. It also takes four or five hours even after breakfast (my smallest meal of the day) to get this way where I was hungry every two or three hours before.

Eira: Can you post a typical day's eating with portion sizes? It might help us figure out if you could be using your calories to give you more boost.
    yeah, am wondering if i even need to eat this much, i am pretty much always somewhere between full/not hungry. i'm afraid to eat too little because i walk all over the place/ spend a lot of time on lithography presses and carrying large objects around my studio.

a typical day looks something like that, although i dont usually have a sweet potato and i've cut the cream out of my coffee. i'm 5'3 and 126 pounds ( heavy for my frame ) i didn't expect anything miraculous, but i was hoping there would be some change in measurements or body composition? must have a really slow metabolism! hah

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    you dont determine it, it changes....every second

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eira View Post
    BMR calculators? How do i know if i am 'sedentery' 'active' or 'lightly active'? are those terms being used for overweight america or do they really mean active when they say active?
    Sedentary means has a desk job and probably drives to work too. Basically, sitting down most of the day day every day.

Lightly active is going to mean has a more physical occupation or takes time out to walk, cycle, swim, whatever fairly regularly.

Active will likely mean something much more vigorous, again either occupational and/or recreational.

I keep trying not to think about calories but after eating 1400-1600 a day, i am at the same measurements/ weight i was a month and a half ago- and i am always moving around! for that reason i have *sort of* lost faith in the online calorie thing... anyone have other suggestions?
    There's Kwasniewski's method, which is recommended by Dr Kurt Harris, who Mark sometimes links to:

Archevore - Archevore Blog - How to Lose*Weight

It's a fairly extreme regimen, but it's certainly one that's based on quantifiable figures, if that's what you want. You start off by calculting a figure for protein and basically eat a large percentage of the rest of your calories as fat:

In order to work out the correct daily food intake using this proportion, one has to know how many grams of protein needs to be ingested in a day to satisfy body's requirements. This amount varies from person to person and depends on a "due body weight". Due body weight, in kilograms, is equal to person's height in centimetres less 100 ( 10%). Thus, for a person 160 cm tall, a due body weight is 60 kg 6 kg.

A correct amount of protein to be consumed in a day is approx. 1 g per 1 kilogram of a due body weight. Thus, a 60 kg person needs to consume 60 6 g of protein to satisfy body's daily needs.
    optimal_diet_1

I guess Mark himself would probably advise people to include more vegetables and fruit. How important is it to get a few pounds off anyway, as against eating a more nutrient-dense diet and allowing the weight to go with time?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I've found I need fewer calories than I thought, eating Primal. According to most online calculators, I am in deficit at 1700 calories, but my experience is that 1700 is maintenance for me. I needed to drop down to 1400-1500 to see a shift.

If you've been eating well for at least the last 6 months-1 year and feel like your metabolism is functioning fine, then you may need to drop your calories slightly.

Personally, IFing has made this much easier for me.

eira is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    There's Kwasniewski's method, which is recommended by Dr Kurt Harris, who Mark sometimes links to:

Archevore - Archevore Blog - How to Lose*Weight

It's a fairly extreme regimen, but it's certainly one that's based on quantifiable figures, if that's what you want. You start off by calculting a figure for protein and basically eat a large percentage of the rest of your calories as fat:

optimal_diet_1

I guess Mark himself would probably advise people to include more vegetables and fruit. How important is it to get a few pounds off anyway, as against eating a more nutrient-dense diet and allowing the weight to go with time?
    Thank you, these are great links. Hopefully primal can teach me to be more patient...... but i dont know if i will ever be able to kick the instant gratification/ calorie counting mindset! i've been brainwashed!!! ahhh

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    1400 calories is what I eat at lunch alone.

Just eat until you're satisfied.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Your diet looks pretty good, but maybe a little more protein would be good. I say if you're not actively hungry then don't eat. If you're worried about finding yourself suddenly out of energy then keep some nuts or something in your handbag for emergencies. I used to get low blood sugar episodes when I was CW where I felt dizzy and sick if I didn't eat. I don't have that problem these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast