Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good versus Best page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Good versus Best

Primal Fuel
    Today I was talking to some coworkers about how you shouldn't let BEST be the enemy of GOOD. If you can't do a PERFECT sit up, you shouldn't make that the enemy of a GOOD one. A good diet is better than a terrible diet and just because you might not be eating perfectly you can at least strive for good. And most of all, going from a terrible diet to a good diet and then finally an excellent diet is easier than going from terrible to perfect...

The responce...

"Yeah... I agree. I read in a magazine that baking your own chocolate chip cookies is WAY healtheir than using the pre-made tubes. So i've been doing that instead as well as using margarine instead of butter..."

Swing and a miss...
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Generally a good principle to live by but judging by my body's reaction when I stray I am affected adversely more by whole grains than refined ones. The former being the "better" alternative.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Same here... I am getting a little better each month... which is good because I've only got about 14 lbs left to lose until I'm satisfied (i say that now... but when I started 220 was my goal and i'm past that...)

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well - margarine isn't hydrogenated anymore (is it?) and homemade cookies have less sugar, so.....it's more like "Don't let the pretty darn bad be the enemy of the truly awful" - just like Carl's Jr is a better choice than Taco Bell, or veganism is better than fruitarianism. You'll be super unhealthy either way, but maybe a bit less super-unhealthy....
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It’s going to just take a lot of work to convince people that the things they’ve been hearing are EVIL for years are actually GOOD for you. It’s a tough thing to wrap your head around. When I came here I had spent so much time staying away from fat that it took a while to acclimate to even THINKING that what you guys were saying was reasonable. Despite reading Mark’s work it was still like “ehh… I don’t know everything around me is low-fat, they can’t be wrong…” I don’t think I was even being nave, but the extreme advertising had gotten to me and I truly believed fat was evil, bad and MADE me fat, it took a while to let go of that.

Our society is deadly afraid of fat, cholesterol and heart disease and since cereals and grains get the “good for heart heatlh!” stamp that’s what people would rather run to. We hold no credentials to say otherwise besides personal experience, so why would they pay attention to us when everything on their immediate surroundings says otherwise?

I’m a bit of a conspiracy theorist when it comes to certain shit, I think you at least have to be a little curious as to why we’ve pushed so hard for America to be whole grain capital of the world, and why we insist on pushing fat fear on people. I don’t want to say it’s a deliberate attempt to make or keep people sick and fat, but sometimes I can’t help but let my thoughts go there.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 05-11-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    It’s going to just take a lot of work to convince people that the things they’ve been hearing are EVIL for years are actually GOOD for you. It’s a tough thing to wrap your head....
    For me it was actually quite easy ... but I grew up being force-fed bullshit about how human evolution was all lies and evil and divine creation was all there was...

Around age 20 I decided to get educated on something I was so against (evolution by means of natural selection)... and that education led me to eventually give up on the idea of divine intervention, divine creation, and the divine all together...

So for me the whole paleo/primal idea was just another natural step...

But I can see why for many it would be very hard... especially adults well past 30 who have been eating terribly all their lives and have a spouse and kids who do the same...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The Paleo explanation made sense to me too at first, but it was still tough to just accept like that.

Also keep in mind that actually following a high-fat lifestyle (or a not scared of fat lifestyle) is tough given that no products are even offered as just plain old regular fat. Since companies want to cater to people, they’ve all but forgotten about regular cream, regular full-fat butter, etc etc… everything is lean chicken, lean beef, lean turkey, reduced fat this, no fat that… etc etc.. so actually seeking out fatty products is pretty difficult in my opinion, and most people aren’t trying to put in the time for that.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    OP that is a headdesk moment right there.

But still, the idea is baby steps. Simply by doing the good/better/best 'assessment' of our food/activities encourages people to think critically about the choices they are making.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    .. so actually seeking out fatty products is pretty difficult in my opinion, and most people aren’t trying to put in the time for that.
    You are absolutely right... I remember when I went to buy butter... I was like "WTF! i just want actual BUTTER... "

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As a general principle, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good is sound. But the response you got is more in the line of people being able to rationalize any and everything. Or, as I've seen, sometimes the idea of not getting some perfect system to solve the problem is an excuse not to try at all. Of our circle of friends,all of whom are curious about our great weight loss, it is not surprising to my partner and me that the smarter ones have been the most interested, then bothered to read Taubes or Sisson, and are implementing primal or low carb nutrition; struggling a bit as most of us do, but at least trying. The die-hard CW people won't read, since they know it all and don't need to, and despite their failures, believe WWatchers, et al, have the answers. As you might guess, the former are losing, the latter continue to yo-yo and struggle with diabetes, etc. I'd always bet on smart!
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast