Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Meat Rots in the Intestines!!! Quacky Dr. Oz page 5

Alykat is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Thank you for sharing Zoe Bird! Don't go vegan for any long periods, it could hurt your digestion of raw plant foods. Speaking from experience.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alykat View Post
    R u NOT eating plant foods?
    From what I have read as long as you eat high fat you should be fine with little to even no plant foods.
    I have not been brave enough to try, but this post is kind if encouraging.
    Love my veges I don't eat them every day (sometimes work gets in the way and protein is much faster to prepare and cook) but no, I eat them 4+ times a week. I eat fruit as well.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    wtf are you talking about alykat? i'm thinking english must not be your first language, because your reading comprehension seems off.

Alykat is offline Member
    Zoebird, I think I understood you fine - you eat a lot of veg and are fine. All I was saying is too much veg (vegan) and prepared the wrong way (think a lot of raw boccolli and other fiberious veg. taken in raw) over time can weaken our digestive fire. I experienced this. I also ate a whole lot more veg than you just shared and No animal foods when this happened.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Currently in my nursing classes (LPN) they are pushing the fiber. According to my instructors the over 65 group need that extra bulk to help peristalsis (the constant wave of movement moving food through the digestive system) in the colon to prevent constipation. I tend to disagree with most of the nutritional education I'm receiving. As for gas, everyone produces gas but it's usually only noticeable when something is wrong, wheat for most people, dairy for a lot of people.

Alykat,

In your first response to me, you ask if I eat no vegetables, even though I said in that statement that I did, in fact, each vegetables. This would indicate a lack of comprehension of what I wrote.

In response to you, I clarified that I did eat vegetables -- and a lot by volume providing an example. This says nothing about "becoming vegan" in any way shape or form, to which you respond "don't become vegan. . ." which is a complete non sequitor and indicates that you lack comprehension.

As an aside, I'm perfectly capable of understanding my own body. I have always thought that this particular "myth" from vegetarian circles is ridiculous, and I find it interesting that it is actually the vegetable matter that "rots" unless you have a really good gut flora. My response about having very little gas these days is reflecting on this notion that I have very good gut flora (which the article states).

I grew up a healthy version of the SAD. I grew up with stomach aches, gas, and digestive trouble. It's also how my body deals with stress -- goes straight to my stomach (this is common for women, btw, particularly ones who were not breast feed, according to some studies).

At 22, I went vegan. I was a whole foods (no processed foods) vegan, and ate a lot of vegetables, but not a lot of beans/rice (not my preference). The latter caused more intestinal distress until we started doing things the WAPF way (which is who my husband was eating) which had everything soaked and sprouted. I also gave up soy at this time (which was about one year in). But, when I was on 'simple carbs' and such, I didn't have the gas troubles that I'd had on SAD or when consuming normal "grains" and the like.

What did happen was something that i'm genetically predisposed to: hypocholesterolemia. This means my cholesterol was too low, and as such, i went back to eating eggs and raw dairy. I still ate very few beans/grains because of how it affected me, unless things were sprouted (i did eat a fair number of bean sprouts without issue). I would still have a mild effect from raw dairy.

Then I moved here, and the damp, coupled with even modest grain consumpion caused some major digestive troubles to DH and caused me to gain a bit of weight. DH's naturopath recommended paleo, and we never looked back.

That was nearly two years ago now, I think.

It works really well, and until I read this article, I hadn't noticed how little gas I actually have -- and DH and DS. On our normal primal diet WHICH INCLUDES VEGETABLES and some fruit (and dairy for my son, but not DH and myself) -- we have very little gas.

Which means that our gut flora is good, as per the article.

There, so you don't have to try and comprehend what I was writing by responding with non-sequitors.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    What did happen was something that i'm genetically predisposed to: hypocholesterolemia. This means my cholesterol was too low, and as such, i went back to eating eggs and raw dairy.
    What happened? What were your cholesterol numbers before and after you resumed eating eggs and dairy? Thanks.

Artbuc,

As it was about 8 years ago, I don't recall now. But my cholesterol has always been low/normal range, and then after 5 and some years vegan, it went very low, and I started to experience secondary symptoms (cloudiness in the brain, inability to remember basic things, and some tingling in the extremities). At this point, even though people say "oh, that was a perfectly safe number!" the characteristics of secondary symptoms were not to be trifled with. So, i went back to eating eggs.

A lot of people develop a lot of different health problems as vegans, and a lot of those problems are somehow neurological. It's interesting to observe. And, most of us will try any means necessary to stay vegan -- and I did, everything short of taking medication. I refuse to do that if it was solved by simply EATING real foods, you know?

A lot of vegans recommended: eating coconut oil, exercising more, and eating a higher fat vegan diet in order to increase my cholesterol. I was already doing these things: i would have 2 tbsp coconut oil per day, was doing triathlon training (two 45 minute training sessions per day) plus 1.5 hours of hot yoga per day, and also had at least 30% calories from fat. I was working with my doctor (who was also a naturopath), and we did all kinds of things to try and stimulate cholesterol.

Nothing worked, but once I went back to eggs, things started to improve rather dramatically and quickly -- though I was eating about 6-7 eggs a day, which is why I diversified into dairy (to stay vegetarian). But, since that caused discomfort (and that plus grains makes it all worse), going paleo got rid of any gastro distress, and has made me a lot leaner and healthier.

Anyway. . .

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Artbuc,

As it was about 8 years ago, I don't recall now. But my cholesterol has always been low/normal range, and then after 5 and some years vegan, it went very low, and I started to experience secondary symptoms (cloudiness in the brain, inability to remember basic things, and some tingling in the extremities). At this point, even though people say "oh, that was a perfectly safe number!" the characteristics of secondary symptoms were not to be trifled with. So, i went back to eating eggs.

A lot of people develop a lot of different health problems as vegans, and a lot of those problems are somehow neurological. It's interesting to observe. And, most of us will try any means necessary to stay vegan -- and I did, everything short of taking medication. I refuse to do that if it was solved by simply EATING real foods, you know?

A lot of vegans recommended: eating coconut oil, exercising more, and eating a higher fat vegan diet in order to increase my cholesterol. I was already doing these things: i would have 2 tbsp coconut oil per day, was doing triathlon training (two 45 minute training sessions per day) plus 1.5 hours of hot yoga per day, and also had at least 30% calories from fat. I was working with my doctor (who was also a naturopath), and we did all kinds of things to try and stimulate cholesterol.

Nothing worked, but once I went back to eggs, things started to improve rather dramatically and quickly -- though I was eating about 6-7 eggs a day, which is why I diversified into dairy (to stay vegetarian). But, since that caused discomfort (and that plus grains makes it all worse), going paleo got rid of any gastro distress, and has made me a lot leaner and healthier.

Anyway. . .
    Interesting. I wonder if your improvement came from increased serum cholesterol or the nutrients, eg choline, coming from the eggs. Anyway, glad you found the solution and are feeling better.

Alykat is offline Member
    Zoebird
    Thank you for sharing that!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345