Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plantar fasciitis page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Plantar fasciitis

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, I've been dealing with this since walking a lot in the snow and ice last Dec. It's not getting better, I tried a longer walk on the moors this week and it's been a lot more sore since.

Just wondered if anyone here has dealt with this and has any tips? I guess it is caused by my weight, but can't do much about that at the moment unfortunately. Having seen the stretching exercises I now understand why it felt better after a day long yoga workshop instead of worse.

Exercises http://orthopedics.about.com/od/trea...ss/stretch.htm
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    For me, I had it in my right foot and actually ran a half-marathon with it. Here's how I managed:

I stretched it regularly. All the time, really. Soaked it daily in an epsom salts bath (no idea how primal any of this is, just what worked for me). Took antinflammatories daily until the pain was manageable. And I got the best possible shoe inserts you can buy (as it worked out, they are really cheap and handmade by a local guy.) They made my life livable. And now, I have no issues. Once I healed, I worked on wearing LESS shoe when possible. I still wear really cushioned sneakers, but when I'm not working out or running, I go barefoot or with minimal support. I think that has helped strengthen those muscles. Eventually, I'd like to transition to a minimalist sneaker, but for now, this is what works.

See if you can find someone who knows a lot about the structure of feet. Not necessarily an podiatrist, as they are full of CW. I found a really great guy from Vietnam, English is sketchy at best, but he gets feet. He gets high quality leather insoles and cuts them to match the contours of your foot. It's amazing, and they last for years.

Nanci is offline Member
    I had it. Things that helped me were putting my feet up as often as possible, all day. Any time I sat, I had my feet up. Taping it with duct tape. You can find the method by Googling it. It is very supportive and feels good. You tape the bottom of your foot. Freezing water in plastic Coke bottles and then icing it once in the afternoon and once when I went to bed. Doing foot massage by hand, rolling a tennis ball under my foot, and doing the scrunching a towel with your toes exercise. I took Ibuprofen, the max dose, every day, but I'm not sure how much of an effect that had. I think all the therapeutic things helped more. I was skinny when I got it- it was running-related. I only ran on soft surfaces in training from then on.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Stretching is the one of the most effective ways of reducing pain. The duration of the stretch is important, 60-90sec per muscle group. The gastroc and soleus need attention as well as the plantar surface of your feet. When performing the stretch go to discomfort and back off slightly then hold for the allotted time.

Next is a night splint to keep your foot at 90deg while sleep so the fascia can heel in the neutral position. Normally when you sleep your feet are relaxed and plantarflexed, over night the fascia scars down and when you get out of bed the pain you feel is micro tears and sets you back every time this happens. Prolonged sitting can have the same effect.

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    Stretching first thing in the am. Before you get out of bed, do the full stretches. then again before night.

Mine is getting better with the weight loss. I am walking around barefoot more around the house and have been enjoying my flat shoes for work instead of granny merrils.
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Had plantar fascitis develop twice and suffered for over a year each time, apparently associated with weight gain. Got rid of it twice upon losing 20 pounds each time. It was worst in the mornings and after extended sitting. Of course the ultimate solution is diet and/or weight loss. Either the fat buildup in the foot was inflammatory, or something in the diet itself was directly inflammatory. Don't know really.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    For me, increasing my achilles and calf flexibility helped a ton, and i roll my feet on a lacrosse ball all the time.

Thanks v much

Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    Had plantar fascitis develop twice and suffered for over a year each time, apparently associated with weight gain. Got rid of it twice upon losing 20 pounds each time. It was worst in the mornings and after extended sitting. Of course the ultimate solution is diet and/or weight loss. Either the fat buildup in the foot was inflammatory, or something in the diet itself was directly inflammatory. Don't know really.
    Bodyfat itself is inflammatory, or so the book I am currently reading says. Too much TNFa from the immune cells in the fat.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Ah yes. Saturated fat is inflammatory

Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    Ah yes. Saturated fat is inflammatory
    LOL not that book!

Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast