Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need friends and advice page

Twinwolf is offline Senior Member

Need friends and advice

Primal Fuel
    Hi!

I'm obviously new to this site. I bought PB last week, finished it by last Thursday night and did my best to start Friday morning. I am having a little issue dropping all of the dairy, namely cheese. I am of Norwegian descent and have no issues digesting dairy. Not sure if that's pertinent, but hey I don't know.

Anyway, I am looking for as much help and guidance as I can get. I am willing to change just about, well, everything. I currently use MyFitnessPal.com to track my intake, and I have a membership at LA Fitness that I have been using 5-6 times a week. I started at 315lbs on 1/1/11 and I currently weigh 253.2lbs. I started last Friday at 258lbs and have lost just shy of 5lbs all ready. This was after being stuck the last three weeks and gaining one pound prior to changing my diet. I am working towards a better than 80% adherence. I would like to get as close to 100% as possible.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

Matt
    "If a man has common sense, he has all the sense there is."

My Journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30234.html

Starting weight prePB - 258 lbs on 5/6/11

244.2 lbs on 6/3/11 (28 days in!)

240 lbs on 7/1/11 (59 days in!)

234.2 on 7/15/11 (73 days in!)

228.2 on 8/12/11 (101 days in!)

224 on 8/28/11 (117 days in!)

220.6 on 9/14/11 (134 days in!)

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You're doing great so far. Welcome.

Re. the dairy. The issue for some people is lactose intolerance. The issue for others is how calorically dense cheese is. If you want to drop weight, you might need to reconsider eating cheese. Or have it once in a while as a treat.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    You're doing great so far. Welcome.

Re. the dairy. The issue for some people is lactose intolerance. The issue for others is how calorically dense cheese is. If you want to drop weight, you might need to reconsider eating cheese. Or have it once in a while as a treat.
    +1

And welcome!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Welcome.

I don't know about dropping dairy. I tried it and it didn't do me any good. I've added whey and Greek yogurt back into my diet, and have been keeping a better eye on my calories and macros, and am finding it's easier to drop the weight again. Cheeses and ice cream are a treat on weekends only (I have goat cheese waiting for me in the fridge) and only within reason.

Everybody is different. I'm sure if you want cheese you can find a reasonable way to keep it.

Kaeferin is offline Member
    The 5-6 times a week workout might actually be too much - depends what you're doing

Dairy shouldn't be a problem, as others have stated. I too eat dairy, I eat dark chocolate almost every day, also eat nuts and maybe 1 piece of fruit a day - all the things that are the immediate "drop those" response from lots of people on here. I've been doing this for about 6 weeks and have dropped a clothing size (no idea what I weigh).

So I guess it's a case of horses for courses. I decided to just cut grains for four weeks and not start to tinker until after then. The only thing I ended up tinkering with was adding *more* fruit (never was a fruit eater) to help clear up some fog and dizziness.

Twinwolf is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! I look forward to learning more from everyone!
    "If a man has common sense, he has all the sense there is."

My Journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30234.html

Starting weight prePB - 258 lbs on 5/6/11

244.2 lbs on 6/3/11 (28 days in!)

240 lbs on 7/1/11 (59 days in!)

234.2 on 7/15/11 (73 days in!)

228.2 on 8/12/11 (101 days in!)

224 on 8/28/11 (117 days in!)

220.6 on 9/14/11 (134 days in!)

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to say Hi and welcome!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! You are doing awesome Matt!

The cheese is your choice. I say keep it. The key is to eat slowly, chew your food and stop eating when you are satisfied. Simple!

I have been primal for 13 months and have found that I enjoy eating 100% primal. I don't stress out about it. When I am home I make primal food and nothing else. When I am away from home then I do the best I can. At a restaurant I will order 100% primal food.

I am all about feeling awesome. Steak makes me feel awesome. Eggs to do. Non primal food makes me feel like shit. So why would I eat those foods? Its easy to do after a year!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I'm pretty new too. I also use MFP to get a general overview of macronutrients, specifically protein, though I find their goals are off the mark (if you use the free version that only tracks the default settings, which I do). I agree that if cheese makes you happy (and the world would be a worse place without cheese), eat it. If you're serious about losing weight, your weight loss isn't going to hinge on just one thing. I'm also noticing a rapid weight loss in my first week, which is probably water weight for the most part, but it still feels good. I'd be happy to be a friend on this site if you're looking for one!

FatAsAnElephant is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like you are doing great to me.

Try grating or shredding the cheese and use as a topping like you would a seasoning. You will still get the taste of the cheese without all of the dense calories.

I love cheese just like you, and believe me, it would be nothing for my OLD self to sit in front of the TV or Computer and devour an 8 oz block of cheese.
    05/10/11 - 5'11" - 265 lbs
    05/18/11 - 253 lbs
    05/24/11 - 249.8 lbs
    06/10/11 - 240.2 lbs
    07/27/11 - 224.4 lbs

Free 6 day bodyweight exercise plan
    My Primal On A Budget challenge blog.
    My Primal Journal for all the world to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast