Thread: Landjaeger as a snack/meal page

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

So since I don't have access to a bunch of jerky yet I was wondering what the opinion on landjaeger was. Here's what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landjaeger

Thanks.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Hmm, it looks like it depends on how much sugar is in the meat. The beef/pork/lard/spices part sounds delicious though I think dried meats that don't have added chemicals and nitrates are fine, and if you can find one with little or no sugar that would be even better.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

My mom used to get these for us from the "Russian" store (I'm originally from the Ukraine) and the literal translation from Russian is "hunter's sausage." Now that makes sense

I've never known the ingredients because they are sold without any packaging. I assume the kind we used to get was pretty processed, but I'm sure it's possible to find a variety that is minimally processed.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I picked up some of this, as the german butcher pronounced it, LAN-tee-awh-ger. It's pretty awesome! Tough to get that inital bite going but once you do it's pretty good chewing from there on in.

I'll be bring this back in the bush with me come ice climbing season.

I grok, therefore I am.

klcarbaugh Guest

Hey Lovestoclimb,

Where did you get it and did it have any sugar in it?

I am in CO also so I might be able to get it if you are along the front range...

soror is offline Senior Member

Oh, sounds delicious. I would think this would be like any other jerky or sausage- it will depend on how it is made- ie you can find plenty of jerky and sausage preserved w/ all kinds of chemicals and sugar but also some that is more pure. Even around here the local butchers make dried sausage but they use spice mixes w/ MSG and such. I have a friend who doesn't live as rural as I do and her butchers in her area offer a lot more options as far as more naturally cured meat products.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I just got it here at my local butcher shop. It probably helps that it's run by a couple of German dudes.

As for what's in it. The butcher didn't know as he doesn't actually make it. He just brings it in. I decided to try it anyways.

I grok, therefore I am.