Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best cuisines for primal eating? page

secretlobster is offline Senior Member

Best cuisines for primal eating?

Primal Fuel
    What ethnic cuisine do you find has the best variety for primal eating? Mediterranean? Indian? Ethiopian? Japanese? If you eat out at a restaurant, what do you usually go for that will be tasty and still primal?

I just joined, having read The Primal Blueprint, and I'm interested to hear what people do when they're not cooking their own food. I love Middle Eastern food, while I admit I could eat falafel all the time I also love a kebab with vegetables. Burned meat on a mini-spear, that's pretty primal yeah?

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    1. American burgers, eggs and steaks, what better!

2. Mexican- If I go to a restaurant I get the combo steak/chicken fajita and load it up with the sour cream, quac. and some cheese.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Rummy is offline Junior Member
    I like hitting up a good BBQ joint.

I've been making a lot of Indian food at home lately... can't trust how restaurants prepare things.

Furan is offline Member
    (French or Greek) Mediterranean, definitely ! (I have yet to try Ethiopian, though )
    ======== ==== == =
    Be hardcore, drink water

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    If you get past the bread and pastry, French cuisine is nice and fatty with really good base ingredients. If you don't mind a bit of rice, Japanese is great. When I know the restaurant uses ghee, I love Indian.

The ultimate primal restaurant experience is a Brazilian steakhouse (a churrascaria). NOM!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    What ethnic cuisine do you find has the best variety for primal eating? Mediterranean? Indian? Ethiopian? Japanese?
    It's interesting that real Mediterranean food is actually a lot better than the low-fat fanatics would have us believe. There's a whole industry of "Mediterranean diet" food that is totally phony. In fact, people in places like Greece like a lot of meat and are not sparing with the olive oil.

I remember talking about different cuisines on this board before and saying how I was interested in West Indian food, which sounded very "primal" to me, lots of fresh fish, fruit, and veg, and coconut. One poster whose parents come from there says it used to be–the only "bread" his Dad usually ate was made from coconut—but now it's not so much, and U.S.-style food is moving in.

I did see this bloke on the TV, and he had some good stuff, although he did an awful lot of high-sugar sweet stuff:

Amazon.com: Levi Roots Food for Friends (9781845335267): Levi Roots: Books

I guess French and Italian probably often have good choices available. With Italian everyone thinks of pasta and pizza, but there are some good dishes like Ossobuco–what more primal than bone marrow?

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Indian for sure! They make veggies taste like heaven with just ghee and spices and tomatoes!!!
    Argentine pretty good too...if you stick to the meat!

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Oh but the problem with Indian food is that it usually has a side dish that has no spicy-ness to go along with the spicy dish, e.g. naam, chapati (both breads), rice, etc. and that ruins it but what I usually do is just have a less spicy dish and no side dish...a little yogurt cools you down too.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
    I like hitting up a good BBQ joint.
    Same here... but you have to be careful about BBQ, sometimes the sauces can be full of sugar. I've also, after many in-depth studies, decided that the sides predominately offered at BBQ places are usually not primal (beans and cornbread anyone?)

Mexican food, if you can manage to avoid the tortillas and replace the massive amounts of beans and rice most places pile on, can actually be very primal. Carne Asida makes me smile.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Actually most traditional "cuisines" are easy to adapt to primal, but things like Indian food in restaurants are guaranteed to be loaded with bad oils. I'll say that French food minus bread is very primal friendly, and a lot of what I cook ends up looking French-like. Just stay away from literally any chain restaurants and you'll be doing much better. Mexican minus chips, and with just a couple corn tortillas, is very workable.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast