Thread: maximum calories burned per minute page

jasonbunnell is offline Junior Member

maximum calories burned per minute

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This morning I finished my third CrossFit workout. It is seriously the hardest workout I have ever done. At one point I thought I might pass out. Three things I really like about: 1) they are hard enough that 10-20 minutes is all you can do 2) it feels like a well balanced full body workout and 3) it is as much strength training as cardio.

This morning I was thinking that for those 10 to 20 minutes I must be at my maximum possible output which must mean I was burning as many calories as possible. That made me think of a really interesting question. Would love to see an article on this.

What is the maximum possible calories that can be burned per minute? What is the minimum possible calories that could be burned per minute (Basal metabolic rate per minute)?

I would guess there are some variables that impact that like heartrate and body size. It would interesting to know. Would also be curious how long someone could maintain the maximum.

rocknroll is offline Senior Member
    I'm starting on my second week at CrossFit today, and I feel the same. Each workout feels like I'm giving everything I've got.

Interesting question you asked, I wish I knew more about it.
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    of course the answer varies per person but there is a limit at which your O2 cannot be absorbed any faster and your CO2 backs up, that effectivly stops all aerobic metabolism, i doubt it stops anaerobic metabolism but that creates 4 atp versus 96 atp so your caloric burn would go WAY down

when i did a fit test and the HIT center i found my sweet spot of 127 beats per min before the system began to degrade. if i stay right there i can burn without tiring theoretically.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    You are asking a question about a unit of heat but talking about output. VO2 max and/or lactate threshold would be a more appropriate tool.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    You should be able to do the calcs from your VO2max: you know how much litres of oxygen you use per hour, you convert this into mols (ie number of molecules) and find out how many mols of glucose / fat this can burn, and you convert those at 4cals/g or 9cals/g respectively. You will have to plug in a fat:carbs ratio at vo2max for that (donno where to get this one, but i seem to rememember that some people give formula for this ratio in function of your heart rate).

It does not really make sense to look at anaerobic stuff because you will not be able to maintain it for significant periods. Also, depending on the period chosen the number will be unreasonably high. For example in an Olympic lift you are probably talking about 10,000s of calories per hour - but only for a split-second. But if you'd do O-lifts for an hour (assuming you have the strength) then you will have to work ON AVERAGE in the aerobic area, so the most you can burn will be driven by your VO2max

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    A table for cycling power outputs is here: http://www.blobert.com/Main/Power_Pr...profile_v4.gif (FT is one hour)

To convert watt/kg to kcal/(hour*kg) multiply by 3.8. This factor includes an estimate of cycling efficiency of 22.5% and the normal unit conversion.