Thread: Fibre Menace! page

Liz
    Liz is offline Junior Member

Fibre Menace!

Shop Now
    Hi,

I have been doing some research for a client re. gut health and came across GutSense.org and have been reading the Fibre menace. Has anyone else visited this site or know its true?! What is being said makes a lot of sense but hard to get your head around!

Thanks, Liz

emmie is offline Senior Member
    That site gets quoted a lot, but I'm suspicious since he's selling his product via scare tactics, IMO. I think 'fiber' may be overrated--I don't think supplements are necessary, but I'm not 'afraid' of the fiber I get from my veggies.

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    Good Calories, Bad Calories by Taubes has an entire chapter on Fiber, basically that it isn't need, at least through the consumption of grains. Taubes shows evidence that the very few studies that "try" to link low-fiber intake to an increased chance of colon cancer are unfounded.

P.S. that website looks like a sham, sort of like the late night infomercials that try to convince you that you're colon and GI tract is laced with a thick coating / snakelike gunk. Which it isn't as any Doctor who has performed a colonoscopy can tell you.

The only thing worth noting is "The best diet to prevent constipation is a diet low in fiber in order to maintain small and light stools, and moderate in fat in order to stimulate the moving of the bowels. Dietary fat is the only substance that initiates the action that precedes bowel movements. You can learn more about the role of fat in the physiology of the bowel movement on this page"
    Last edited by Ideal Peace; 05-10-2011 at 07:18 AM.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I've read his book and did enjoy it, the author is pretty witty at times. I think the advice is quite good as I find my bowels work best when I don't go crazy on the fibre. I don't think all fibre is created equal and grain fibre and supplemental fibre like psyllium seem to be detrimental. There are peoples who ate a tonne of (primal) fibre and are really healthy. So in an otherwise healthy person with no history of GI problems paleo fibre seems to be ok in reasonable amounts. If you aren't one of those people then reducing your fibre, especially from grains, is probably a good idea worth trying.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    I think the difference in plant fiber and grain fiber is the difference in bathing with a flannel cloth and a wire brush. A flannel cloth (plant fiber) is soft, and just wipes you clean. A wire brush (grain fiber) scrapes you and causes inflammation and irritation. They both get you "clean", but there's no need to go overboard on the scrubbing. A high fat diet will make everything "move" like it should, and high fiber from leafy greens and other vegetables will help maintain a healthy system.

That having been said, I've never had healthier poos than when I stopped eating so much fiber. And I was the poster child for fiber. I was eating two to three times the RDA of fiber, and was still having a hard time going. Now it's clean, easy, and painless.

Grain fiber can suck it.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I read all of the free info on the site and it seems correct to me. Is he trying to sell special supplements, yes. I suspect some people with really messed up guts can benefit. Overall quite informative, worthwhile reading.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 05-11-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't trust everything he says (like I think I read about fat being a 'lubricant', but it's highly unlikely more than a few grams of dietary fat would make it to the stool in a normal bowel, and if it does it's a problem called steatorrhea). More likely fat works by, as was mentioned above, stimulating the gastrocolic reflex. But fat isn't the only food that will do this, the gastrocolic reflex is simply proportional to the energy density of the food. More calories per volume of food (like in something fatty), and the digestive system will be more stimulated.

From what I can tell about fibre, you want to have some. But too much fibre (especially too quickly) can produce some nasty side-effects, so you want the lowest amount that will produce the desired effect.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Eades wrote a good article about having too much fiber -- it's funny as well. Something about this topic seems to bring out wittiness.

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. A cautionary tale of mucus fore and aft