Thread: Really strange taste in mouth - is this normal? page

DKSABS is offline Member

Really strange taste in mouth - is this normal?

Shop Now
    Lately, I've noticed while eating strawberries, that the first one or two taste normal, but then the rest will taste almost like they were soaked in tea tree oil. The same thing happened today while I was eating some celery. Is this normal? Could it be ketosis? I bought some ketostix this weekend but the sticks haven't registered any ketones so far. Tonight, while drinking my water, it tastes sweet.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    The tea tree oil thing: no. The water tasting sweet: certainly sounds like ketone breath. It passes after a while.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

cassel_man is offline Member
    Talk to a doc?

dado Guest
    You must stop drinking tree tea oil.

sarah k. is offline Member
    I recently read about a thing called "pine mouth" that happens when you eat certain kinds of pine nuts (mostly from China). Any chance you've had crappy pine nuts lately? It lasts a couple of weeks, and stuff tastes weird, metallic.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah k. View Post
    I recently read about a thing called "pine mouth" that happens when you eat certain kinds of pine nuts (mostly from China). Any chance you've had crappy pine nuts lately? It lasts a couple of weeks, and stuff tastes weird, metallic.
    That's what I was going to suggest. I've had pine nuts from Trader Joe's and they caused this - I was miserable for a week. Every time I swallowed, no matter what I was eating, this terrible metallic, bitter taste would invade my mouth and made my wanna throw up. It resolved by itself after a week.

DKSABS is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies! I haven't eaten any pine nuts lately (unless they were buried as a hidden ingredient in something I had at a restaurant while I was out of town on business a week and a half ago). The weird taste doesn't happen with everything I eat. So far it's only happened with the strawberries and celery, which is really strange. Hopefully it will stop on its own.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I had a really weird taste in my mouth for about the first 4 months and now it has finally gone away.

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    I've never heard of any of that. IF to the point of glycogen depletion/ketosis or full blown Ketoacidosis should produce a metallic taste or breath. You would know if it were ketosis as a neutral item such as water would taste off, sometimes sweet. You would also get a film occassionaly on you're mouth.

You could also taste you're pee (just a drip, not from the bowl), assuming you don't drink artificial sugars (which still are stable in the urine) it should be salty and distinct.