Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me learn to like fish! page

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I hate fish. Can't stand the smell, taste and texture. I only eat tuna fish out of a can but rinse it well and load it with onion powder. I really really really want to learn to like any other kind of fish.

I know this can be done because for my whole life I loathed broccoli and now I eat it every day!

So can you give me a good place to start with a less fishy fish and a good way to cook it?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Wild caught cod is pretty light.

I like fish that tastes like meat... like mahi mahi, swordfish, etc. Cajun mahi mahi is good...

bobbylight Guest

Yeah, I don't like fish either. I do eat sushi rolls, but considering the rice on them and the soy and eel sauce I eat them with, that would be counter productive anyway. Honestly, I don't think fish is essential to good health. If you supplement with a good amount of fish oil, it will not be a problem if you are more of a land animal person.

Catalina is offline Member

Tuna is actually a very strong-tasting fish. As arthurb999 said, Cajun mahi mahi is good. I like halibut crusted with chopped macadamia or pistachios. Ask the person behind the counter for a mild fish, let it swim in butter and lemon--yum!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Ah, yes. I remember those days. I used to be exactly like you MandyGirl77...at least in the ways of anti-fish! I wasn't able to handle it because everything tasted too 'fishy'.

I couldn't stand anything except for tuna. Progressed to a mild white fish. For white, I LOVE Orange Roughy. But now I can eat any kind of fish but I really love salmon. You gotta get creative with fish though if you want to acquire the taste. Like Catalina mentioned, encrusting your fish goes a long way for making it paletteable to start.

I grok, therefore I am.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Start with a broiled red/scarlet snapper, monkfish, or cod. Out of fish, these are fairly firm and less fishy tasting than others.

From there I'd graduate to a seared ahi tuna steak (works very well in a teriyaki/sesame/lime marinade) or a pan-fried coho salmon.

A pecan-encrusted catfish is good, but it may have a bit of a muddy hint to it as it's a river fish.

For smoked fishes, salmon is very palatable. Smoked sardines are good but are a bit strong.

Freshwater fish like bass, trout, bluefish, and bluegill are tasty but they are probably the strongest of the lot. Some are also a bit mushy.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I find that if you manage to buy the freshest possible wild caught fish and cook it wihout overcooking it, it has a very minimal fishy taste (unless it's something like shark or mahi mahi).

If you're going with salmon, try poaching it instead of cooking it all the way through. Mix in a shallow pan some butter, little bit of water, and lemon juice to make about 1/2" of sauce. Place your salmon in it and flip after about 2 minutes. It will be very tender, buttery, and still pink in the midle.

syzchan is offline Member

I don't know where you live, but growing up (Chinese), most of the fish we ate was scooped fresh from the tank at our local Asian fish market. Then my mom would steam it with ginger, green onions and serve it with soya sauce and oil. As long as you ate it within 30min-1hour, it didn't have the fishy taste. Growing up it was rock cod, but because of price, they mostly eat tilapia now.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Spicy ceviche. The fish has to have white meat and be very fresh. If made properly, a good ceviche is not fishy at all and is extremely healthy.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Shine is offline Member

I was snooping on your profile page and saw that you live in New Jersey. I grew up the daughter of Rhode Island fisherman, and have sampled most of the fish that the North Atlantic has to offer. For the mildest flavor, I would try flounder or sea bass; both of these will cook up to nice, small, white fillets. Although cod was also mentioned, I find that larger fish tend to have a stronger flavor. To avoid that "fishy" smell, try to find the freshest fish possible. If you have a local fishmonger, ask him what was unloaded that day.

For cooking, I would just fry a fillet of flounder up in bacon grease. But I cook everything in bacon grease, so I don't know if that would work for everyone.

Also, I know a lot of people who refuse to eat fish without tartar sauce and lemon. Try making a homemade tartar sauce; any of the mayo recipes that have been posted here lately would work with an addition of lemon and dill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast