Thread: Primal Vanilla Birthday cake recipes?? page

GirlyGirl is offline Junior Member

Primal Vanilla Birthday cake recipes??

Primal Fuel
    My daughter is having a birthday party next week and she would like a grain free white cake? Does anyone have a favorite recipe?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

julie-a is offline Member
    If you don't have it you should really get Bruce Fife's book Cooking With Coconut Flour. Otherwise I've had pretty good succes substituting in cake recipes with a 50/50 mix of coconut and arrowroot flour, and half the amount of sugar,I usually use honey for its added moisture. If the batter seems too dry add more liquid or an extra egg... but maybe you're not comfortable adapting standard recipes. What kind of icing does she want? I've used raw butter fudge as icing, chocolate, and it's really really good (just google it). Usually the kids at our birthday parties never like my cake or cupcakes since they're healthier and grain free so for my son's birthday this week we're doing ice-cream sundaes with good quality icecream, nuts, fruit, and probably homemade chocolate syrup. Anyway, good luck!

Oh and some real whipped cream on top!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Have you thought of using white rice flour and tapioca flour? They may not technically be ideal primal, but they're pretty much pure starches - especially the white rice flour. No phytates or gluten to worry about. I'm about to pick some up to make pizza during a carb refeed. That could be perfect. Just make sure you don't use brown rice flour by mistake. That's loaded with phytates.

I like coconut flour a lot, but the result will be a lot different than a standard white cake. Coconut flour isn't exactly light and fluffy. Although it can be moist and delicious, eating a standard-sized birthday cake slice with coconut flour is going to put some people through the ringer. It'll feel like you just ate a piece of concrete. VERY DENSE! And one hell of an expensive cake...
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Have you thought of using white rice flour and tapioca flour?
    The Asian stores near me have sweet rice flour, which I've used with great success in GF cakes and cookies. It isn't that expensive, either.
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Does it have to be sweet? A spicy, savory meatloaf made from chicken or fish?
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

GirlyGirl is offline Junior Member
    These are all excellent recipes! Thanks I will let you know how they turn out. She will be delighted to have her cake and eat it too

Farfalla is online now Senior Member
    Chocolate Almond Torte Recipe - Joyofbaking.com *Tested Recipe* - this does not qualify as primal (nor is it white) but I had something like this (with walnuts I think, not with almonds) a few days ago (as a part of my 20% - it was hard to say no when the host went out of her way to make a gluten-free dessert for me) and it was so delicious!