Thread: Primal dog says hi! page

PrimalDog is offline Junior Member

Primal dog says hi!

Shop Now
    I've just registered and want to get out amongst the action. I started the primal plan 6 weeks ago and I am impressed with the results. I've been dabbling around in what I call contrarian (vs conventional) health for a while, and like many who post here I came away with either 1) mixed results 2) no results 3) negative results, or 4) temporary results. I got really tired of this, as I noticed that as time went by I found it increasingly harder to maintain my level of fitness. It became such a process of diminishing returns that I decided that whatever I was doing (and observing others doing - remember Mark mentioning the gym rats that exercise every day and still look like they need to lose 20 pounds) wasn't going to work.

I sort of stumbled into Mark's material. I'd already started about a year ago to do barefoot running because of the recurring injuries I sustained when running in shoes (planter's fasciitis, etc.) I spent 9 months reconditioning myself for it and got good results, but I still had the same chronic problem: my weight was still slowly going up and BMI was starting to get to the 25 level. I was also not satisfied with how I looked and felt. I'd taken a trip to Disneyland and when the pictures came back... let's say I was not a happy puppy.

One day I was heading over to a friends house and I had the radio on. It was a veternary program and the host was talking to a dog breeder who was having trouble with his grand champion dogs. They were getting unhealthy and he wanted to explore a theory he had concerning their diet. He had discovered that the special super duper food he was feeding them had CORN and RICE in it. He thought that this could be really bad for canines considering that he couldn't figure out how a dog would've evolved eating this stuff. He then changed the food back to a more 'primal' mix and the problems went away. The vet told him he was dead on, and that these additives are extremely harmful to dogs and can kill them! So I started to wonder: If this happens to dogs...

I started experimenting to see what changes I could make. Losing weight was easy IF you do extreme (and questionably unhealthy) things, but it was like a pendulum. The momentum carried you right back to where you started. But since the barefoot running was working, I decided to continue down the primitive (and less travelled) path do see what else I could discover.

Then I found something- by chance. A bookstore was going out of business and I went to see what I could find. In a section I usually ignore - the one with the exercise gurus and fitness fanatics with their books on spartan (we are Sparta!) programs and with images of decidedly fit but scary looking females glaring back at you- I saw a cover with- OMG- a REGULAR looking guy smiling back. He looked like he was having a good time and not beating himself to death at the gym, and when I saw the picture of him and his wife on the back cover I was impressed. Not only healthy and fit, but genuinely happy! Imagine that! I was somewhat familiar with the paleo/primal diet, but never got into it. All I ever heard of was Adkins, and I knew from friends of mine that it worked for a while, but the pendulum just kept coming back on them (they couldn't maintain it).

I got his book and immediately put it into practice. I also created a spreadsheet to keep track of all the results so I could get real data on what I was eating and how my weight was changing. I was planning to do this for only 5 weeks, but I'm continuing it so I can check to see if I start to stray off the plan to an unacceptable extent (<80%). So far so good. I've lost 14 pounds in 6 weeks. I sleep much better. I FEEL better. Before it was as if I had some sort of heavy sludge in my veins. Not anymore. Most of all it is EASY to do this plan. I still go to the gym (to have fun), and bike ride (again to have fun), and clothes that were going to the too small side (I know - it's always the clothes' fault, not the wearer) I can fit in easily again. I was 185 pounds when I started, and the last time I checked I was 171.

You know what the most fun thing to do is? Eat bacon and eggs and steak and and other pariah foods in front of the new age healthers. They go crazy! They just don't get it. Some are curious though when I tell them my results, and then I direct them to this website. This way I can help spread the word. Now a bunch of my friends are interested in what is going on since they've seen the obvious changes.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Thanks! It came a bit easy once you read how I wound up here!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Primal dog questions your logic. 1) You assume I haven't bought the book. Your Evidence? 2) You post this to numerous other sites. Shotgunning techniques? 3) Read the thread? Again take #1 and substitute 'read' for 'bought' and 'thread' for book.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalDog View Post
    Primal dog questions your logic. 1) You assume I haven't bought the book. Your Evidence? 2) You post this to numerous other sites. Shotgunning techniques? 3) Read the thread? Again take #1 and substitute 'read' for 'bought' and 'thread' for book.
    Down boy. Belinda isn't saying anything to you except welcome. Thats just her signature. Since you came her after figuring out the link between human nutrition and canine nutrition, you should check out the book Neanderthin (out of print unfortunately).
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! A question about the barefoot running, I also find it difficult to run due to plantar facilitis, do you run in vibrams and have you looked at these new nike free's? The main reason I can't run is I have really bad pain behind at the crease of my left leg, it feels like my tendon is twisting, not sure if it is a foot thing or I need to see a phsio, anyhow glad to hear the plantar thing has cleared up I may have to try that myself!!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalDog View Post
    Oops. Maybe I should edit my signature because I think you're the second person that has come to a similar conclusion. I'm going to welcome you anyways !
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals