Thread: Unleashing my primal beast. page

GFreg is offline Junior Member

Unleashing my primal beast.

Primal Fuel
    Hello everybody. I would first like to thank you all for the great information. I have only been lurking for a few days and I can tell that there are is a lot for me to learn here.

A little bit of background information about me. My name is Greg and I am 26 years old. I have hit a point in my life where I am realizing that I need to invest in my body to have a fulfilling future.

I have always been active since a pretty young age. I started swimming for my local community team when I was 8. Since then it has been little league baseball and youth soccer. In high school it was football and lacrosse. I had a major growth spurt when I was pretty young so I was always a lot taller than other kids growing up. I was the 5'11" that I am today when 6th grade rolled around. I wasn't afraid to eat either so I certainly wasn't lanky. I got that reputation as the big kid. I never really paid attention to it because it didn't bother me. Why would I care what people were saying when I could out swim them, beat them down the field or crush a homerun.

Well skip to after high school. However much I loved organized sports I knew that the chances of becoming a professional athlete were slim to none. Knowing this I did what anybody graduating high school does, apply to college. Well long story short, I didn't get nearly enough exercise and the food options were less than ideal. Ever heard of the "freshman 15?" Let's just say that it wasn't just the freshman year that helped me get to where I am today.

I now sit at 361lbs @ 5'11" tall. I am still pretty muscular. I have a pretty regular gym routine that follows the primal principle of lifting heavy objects. I mostly do compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, overhead press, but one thing that was really lacking up to this point was my diet. I am eager to start being proactive about my health and enjoying life to the fullest. I love the outdoors and I can only imagine how much more satisfying a hike could be after dropping some weight and living the primal way.

Wow, that was a lot longer than I expected it to be. My journal might not be as thrilling or thorough as some of the other members here but I want to use it to hold myself accountable. Because my overall goal is not a specific weight I am not going to be too worried about what the scale says. I will not be updating with breaking news of what my scale is reporting. I plan to update with weekly pictures, bi-monthly fat caliper and scale readings. I know that a fat caliper is not the world's most accurate tool but it will be good enough for me.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on taking the plunge. I don't think you'll regret it.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

GFreg is offline Junior Member
    Day 2. So I over slept because I was trying to wake up without my alarm. I usually wake up by 7am without an alarm but waking up at 6am really gives me plenty of time to eat, read the paper and get ready for work. I was planning on scrambling up some eggs in butter but since I had to hurry out the door I grabbed a 4 oz. container of cottage cheese(not the best primal food, i know). I have my miniature BAS for lunch today. I really need to do some grocery shopping, the house is empty of good food. As for exercise, last night I walked the dog(~45 minutes) which is usually a nightly activity even before PB. Unfortunately I think I stepped on a rock or root wrong because my foot is starting to bruise today. I added my weight, pants size and approximate bodyfat to my signature. I need to take some better measurements but I couldn't find my tailors tape measure. Pictures will be added soon.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Congratulations on taking the plunge. I don't think you'll regret it.
    Thanks Belinda!
    5/9/11| Weight 361lbs Size 44 Bodyfat ~36%