Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Whole Food Supplements

Good Whole Food Supplements

Shop Now
    I currently take Standard Process. It is rather pricey but I don't mind paying more for whole food supplements however I don't think they have a great multivitamin and I am trying to pare down some on supplements ( I was getting a bit supplement crazy) Anyone have a brand they love and would like to share?

TIA!

I'm a big fan of Nature's Way Alive! multivitamin. I'm a guy so I get the no iron added kind, and they have several different varietes so look at the options to see which one is best for your nutritional needs. Amazon.com: Nature's Way Alive! (no iron added) Multivitamin, 180 Tablets: Health & Personal Care (EDIT: Read the Amazon reviews, seems others are fond of it aswell)
    Last edited by Dharma_Punk; 05-10-2011 at 07:56 AM.
    “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma_Punk View Post
    I'm a big fan of Nature's Way Alive! multivitamin. I'm a guy so I get the no iron added kind, and they have several different varietes so look at the options to see which one is best for your nutritional needs. Amazon.com: Nature's Way Alive! (no iron added) Multivitamin, 180 Tablets: Health & Personal Care (EDIT: Read the Amazon reviews, seems others are fond of it aswell)
    I've chosen MVs without iron too (was using centrum silver for 6 months) because of all of our meat intake. However, I now use NOW's Adam Multivitamin in softgels instead of the chalky pills. Amazon.com: NOW Foods Adam Superior Men, 120 Tablets: Health & Personal Care

Rainbow Light One (just one tablet) for Men (no iron as well).

With all the meat in my diet I don't need any supplemental iron. The OP (I think) is a woman, and the RDA for iron is higher for woman so getting a multi that has iron might be a good option for you. As with any supplement, I think it's important to use fitday.com or some other online calculator to look at your daily diet and nutrient amounts so you can get a good idea of where your diet is lacking in certain vitamins, then choose a high quality one to fill in those gaps.
    “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

Thanks and yes, I am a woman LOL The name natural_girl kind of gives it away. How many do you take daily?

Quote Originally Posted by natural_girl View Post
    ...but I don't mind paying more for whole food supplements
    What does this mean, "whole food"?

When I hear "whole food" I think of things made of whole grains and veggies, sort of like what a vegan would eat.

I also take the Alive! MV. For me it's the Men's once daily. My local Whole Foods carries them and they're often on sale [for a few bucks off a bottle]. I jumped around between brands until I found these. I "feel better" while taking these than other brands. Of course it could be a placebo effect, but I'll still take it.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    What does this mean, "whole food"?

When I hear "whole food" I think of things made of whole grains and veggies, sort of like what a vegan would eat.

Definition: Whole food vitamins - supplements made from food and not synthetics made in the laboratory. Most brands of supplements available today are made from synthetics These are chemical compounds that have been manufactured in a laboratory to copy the molecular structure of natural vitamins. Your body normally gets nutrients from food. Thus obtaining your vitamins from whole food supplements, (real food) will allow the body to actually use the nutrients in the supplement.

Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Rainbow Light One (just one tablet) for Men (no iron as well).
    I use this as well. I picked it up from Whole Foods and I am pretty satisfied with it. Plus this supplement doesn't make my stomach feel queezy like your typical Centrum multivitamin or Kirkland's Performance Multivitamin for men.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.