Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting back on the horse (and showing it who's boss) page 3

Sashi is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Feeling better today. Not least because the scale is showing some downward progress, but also because it's Friday, I have a 5 day trip to Sedona to look forward to, and my husband loves me exactly the way I am. Which is something I ought to stop taking for granted and treasure! I ate breakfast this morning, despite my intentions to IF, because my stomach got super sour from an ill-advised espresso. Trying to decide if I should aim for a mid-day IF and just enjoy a slightly indulgent dinner out (it's a friend's bday), or eat lightly for both meals. I guess I'll let my hunger be my guide.

Yesterday:
    Food: Totally on track
    IF: No
    Exercise: 50 minutes walking hills, 8 minutes of sprints
    Fun: Gardening
    Sleep: Good
    My primal journey involves a lot of (chocolate) slip-ups. But, I'm all about getting back on the horse!

Sashi is offline Member
    Returning to the primal fold after a slight lapse. Spent a glorious weekend in the Grand Canyon with my husband. Was just bathing in vitamin D, and we hiked for hours every day, so it was incredibly restorative. Feeling very healthy and renewed, despite some snack-attackage. I have been mostly primal, but have had a couple nasty run-ins with a bag of irresistibly delicious trail mix. Must get rid of it, since I clearly can't exercise restraint around mulberries, golden berries, gojis and pistachios. That stuff is like crzzzack!

So, here's a sort of summary snapshot of my weekend:

Food: Mostly primal, except a couple bites of shared treats. Too much snacking.
    IF: None
    Exercise: Tons. Probably 8 hours hiking between two days.
    Fun: Lots of time in nature, QT with husband, fine dining, sun, etc.
    Sleep: Pretty good, but shoulder pain persists.

Back on the wagon this morning after a regretable trail mix binge. Putting that stuff out in the car so it's out of reach while I'm working (still in Sedona, but putting in two days of work before one vacation day to explore the surroundings). Will definitely squeeze in a workout at lunch today and some hiking this evening to make up for it. Trying to balance the hedonistic vacation sensibility with desire to fit in my summer clothes .
    My primal journey involves a lot of (chocolate) slip-ups. But, I'm all about getting back on the horse!

Sashi is offline Member
    Great day yesterday, despite stuffing my face with trailmix in the morning, and polishing off that glorious raw chocolate cake after lunch. I did 60 minutes of intense intervals on the treadmill before lunch, and a 2 hour hike in the evening, so I think a wee calorie binge was a-okay.

Food: Great, although prob ate more overall than I should've esp. in the morning
    IF: No, and I'm starting to realize just how well IF sets me up for a calorie deficit. Looking forward to getting back in the habit when I return from vacay.
    Exercise: Tons
    Fun/Relaxation: Long hike, hour by the pool
    Sleep: Took a vicodin for shoulder pain, so I slept deeply. Can not wait to see my PT on Thursday and get this fixed!!

Sashi is offline Member
    Got home from Arizona last night and awoke this morning to a rather unexpected but uber pleasant sight on the scale: sub-160 for the first time since February! In the past 3 months, I've dropped a total of 6 pounds now, which I consider highly respectable. And that should only accelerate once I get my thyroid levels on track and am healthy enough to resume normal workouts. Right now, I'm limited at the gym and have been focused on cardio intervals and long walks. I am keen to add back in some strength training, even if it's just legs and core. My upper body may be on the DL for a while.

Yesterday was not so good food-wise because I was stuck at the airport or in traffic most of the day. I had three salads with chicken or turkey, and a whole lot of trailmix. Also a couple fries and I split a frozen yogurt w/ my man. Could've been worse, but finally seeing weight loss has motivated me to get back on the straight and narrow beginning tomorrow. I want to keep things moving in this direction!!

Sashi is offline Member
    Well, it was mighty nice and encouraging to see that weight loss temporarily last week, but it seems to have vanished. I was pretty indulgent this holiday weekend, which I'm okay with. I can not commit to a lifestyle that won't allow memorial day barbecues, the occasional chocolate binge or bite of french fries, and some seriously fruity mixed drinks in the summer time. So, I guess I'm just testing limits, trying to find that balance between strict compliance and a happy, carefree attitude towards food. I have spent my whole life obsessing over it, punishing myself for that scoop of ice cream or extra serving of dinner, and I don't want that to be my reality any more. The whole paleo thing, to me, is about liberating myself from all that guilt and discipline by choosing foods that are nourishing and satisfying.

I saw my thyroid doc this morning, and he's ramping up my T3, which should help a lot with weight loss. I feel vindicated to know there really is some metabolic/hormonal/endocrine thing happening that has made it harder to maintain my shape lately, but I know the pills aren't a silver bullet and I may just have to be more vigilant going forward if i want to kick these 10 pounds for good. So here's to not feeling sorry for myself, and just getting on with it!

In the interim, I noticed my reflection in the gym over the weekend, and I felt like my stomach was looking really flat, and I felt good. So even if the scale isn't showing it, I know that the nearly 2 months of paleo have changed my body, and I'm going to keep it up~

Snapshot of the weekend:

Food: Good, except a bit more grazing than structured meals (which can be a slippery slope for me) and I need to get back off the sugar
    IF: One 15 hour one Sunday
    Exercise: Lots of HIIT, fair bit of low-level activity
    Fun: Tons. Girl time, dancing, karaoke, gardening, cooking, and QT with my man.
    Sleep: Good, feeling rested.

Sashi is offline Member
    Yesterday was sort of a transitional day. I had some chocolate in the house to finish up (ended up throwing it out after a couple bites), and the fact that I'd had wine and dessert the night prior seemed to wreak some minor havoc on my blood sugar and led to a bit of mindless grazing. I woke up today with new resolve, and also, notably, without any real treats in the house, so it's back to my tea and ACV after meals protocol. Satisfies that need for something sweet/fruity but it's also alkaline and helps with digestion, so definitely a better choice than chocolate or fruit. I'm eating breakfast as I type because I woke up legitimately hungry and decided it was best to listen to my body. This isn't about deprivation, after all, just sensible eating. I'm having a very sensible--and delectable!--breakfast of duck pate wrapped in collareds with carmelized onions, morel mushrooms and brocolli slaw. How bad could that be?

I heart pate.

This one has hazelnuts and plums in it, and I also have some venison pate with marsala wine and cherries. YUM! I already have my lunch and dinner planned out, so I think it's gonna be a healthful and tasty day: big ass salad for lunch with roasted turkey on top, and, for dinner, farmer's market veggies and grassfed ground beef served up taco style (no tortillas for me) with two homemade sauces: red chile, and pumpkin seed cilantro mole.

Sashi is offline Member
    Man, the past couple weeks have served as a powerful reminder of how easily both good and bad circumstances can sway me from the straight and narrow. First it was vacation mode, and more recently, I've been stressed and in pain, from this damn (finally figured out what it is) torn ligament in my shoulder. Haven't managed to fast at all this week, but I've been eating fairly well. No real sugar this week, but I've been grazing a lot, and have had a few too many raisins. Not sure if the dried and fresh fruit have caused the sweets and snackage cravings, or if it's been psychological, but I'm going to make a fresh start next week. I'll be in the Bay Area over the weekend for some girl time with good friends, and I know there will be wine and chocolate involved, which I won't sweat. Will just commit to avoiding the grains and dairy, and getting some good long walks in every day. Then, when I get home, my husband will be in Shanghai, which I think makes IFing easier somehow. Will just shop with the intention of eating two (delicious and primal) meals per day.

Past couple days:

Food: Fair. Lots of meat, fish and veggies, but a bit too much mindless consumption of fruit and nuts
    IF: No
    Exercise: 60 minutes of hill intervals on the treadmill every day
    Fun: Not so much
    Sleep: Good

Sashi is offline Member
    Okay, officially back on the horse after some slippage. I've actually been following the letter of the primal blueprint lately, but not the intention. Meaning, no real sugar or any of the other things I'm meant to avoid, good amount of activity, sun, etc. But, I have been snacking up a storm and eating all manner of chocolate protein powder concoctions that are just unnecessary calories. Cutting that crap out as of now. I saw a picture of myself on Facebook, and my arms were gah-ross. Totally puffy. I have a refrigerator full of lovely veggies and meat, as well as some cherries and strawberries for desserts, and am going to enjoy a bike ride and long hilly walk this evening followed by a sensible dinner and an IF. It's starting to warm up here in PDX finally, and I want to be able to rock my summer dresses!!

Sashi is offline Member
    IF did not happen this morning, because I barely ate any protein last night (filled up on roasted oyster mushrooms and arugula) so I woke up ravenous at 6:30am. But, I had a healthy breakfast, followed by some coffee with chocolate protein powder (last time indulging in that--I swear!), and am feeling better. I tucked the protein powder up onto a high shelf I can't reach without a chair (I'd throw it out, but it's my husband's), and the rest of my house is pretty much treat free, except some berries in the fridge, so I think I can enjoy a totally primal weekend without temptation.

Breakdown from the past week:

Food: Okay. Lots of healthy choices, but a few too many (unsweetened) cocoa nibs and chocolate protein powder
    IF: Couple short ones, broken up by supergreen juice
    Exercise: Good. Long hilly walks, some gardening.
    Sleep: Not a lot. Increased thyroid dosage, lonely bed (hubby is in Shanghai for business), and a good book have made it hard to get a full night's sleep
    Fun: Not a lot, but going out tonight w/ friends.

Sashi is offline Member
    OMG. I am in a total overeating tailspin. How to stop?! Just totally binged in red cabbage, chicken and pumpkin seeds. I guess maybe I need more protein in my diet and less fruit? Ugh. Will be better when the weekend comes and my sweetie back in town. Work stress and boredom are a lethal combination.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast