Thread: Hitting a plateau? page

wandererbj is offline Junior Member

Hitting a plateau?

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I've recently adopted a primal diet and HIT workout for about 3 months now. The goal was primarily to gain muscle, and secondarily strength. I'm naturally pretty lean, probably what you'd call the "hardgainer" type. The gains have been pretty good and I like the diet change, but I've hit a plateau now. So was wondering if anyone has any advice?

Workout protocol (basically Body by Science's big 5) -
    Bench press (barbell)
    Overhead press (barbell)
    Leg press (machine)
    Lat pulldown (cables)
    Seated row (cables)
    1 set to failure, with 5 sec up & 5 sec down cadence.
    Usual rep # - 6-12
    Usual time under load is 1:30~2:30
    Rest time between workouts - 6-7 days.

Profile -
    31 yr old male
    5'6
    132lb when I started, now about 141lb 2 months later.
    Body fat was 11% when I started, measured by some fancy big machine at the hospital. Now ~10%. I use an Omron fat analyzer which I've read seem to err on the low side, so I'm guessing the fat % could be higher.

Diet -
    40% protein, 20% fat, rest are probably carbs.
    No wheat or refined flour. Very little refined sugar. Lots of meat & eggs. Some rice & fruit (I live in Asia, it's hard to avoid), lots of vegetables. I know I can reduce the carb % more, but wanted to experiment how far I'd get first simply by upping the protein percentage.

I realize this isn't a purely workout focused forum, but seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable people here so thought I'd ask. For the last few weeks it seems my strength progress has stalled, and weight gain has slowed down. I'm wondering if

- I'm not resting enough? do I need to rest longer between workouts?
    - I'm not eating enough? eating incorrectly?
    - I need to switch to a different workout?
    - something else?

Any comments would be really appreciated!

dado Guest
    Do squats and deadlifts.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Don't know how many calories you eat. To grow, you'll need to be at least 500+ over maintenance on a daily basis.

Not sold on Body By Science for long term growth. Worked for Mentzer I suppose, but he also had the juice. Try something like Starting Strength instead.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    Don't know how many calories you eat. To grow, you'll need to be at least 500+ over maintenance on a daily basis.

Not sold on Body By Science for long term growth. Worked for Mentzer I suppose, but he also had the juice. Try something like Starting Strength instead.
    Yeah, until his heart attack.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Yeah, until his heart attack.
    What heart attack? Why will this man die?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    What heart attack? Why will this man die?
    I was talking about Mike Mentzer. I do not know how this man will die, my crystal ball is broken.

wandererbj is offline Junior Member
    I think I eat about 2000-2500 calories a day, give or take. I'm not trying to be anal about it, but just trying to eat whenever I'm hungry and try to eat the right food - veggies, meat, fruit, and some carbs here and there. Just curious on why you recommended Starting Strength - was it because it worked for you or some other reason? Thanks for the feedback.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    For someone at 132 lbs, BBS isn't going to pack on muscle. You need frequency. Minimum 3 times a week. Squat and deadlift on separate days. Eat postworkout carbs.