Thread: Raw milk - good for health? page

breadsauce is online now Senior Member

Raw milk - good for health?

Primal Fuel
    I've just been reading where to find raw milk sources near me in the UK for kefir making.

I found this site CLA Basics

and wondered if it could be a really good source of powerful anticancerous fats?

annasmith is offline Junior Member
    This is absolutely true that raw milk is good for health more than boiled milk.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    I don't know much about the anticancerous nature of the fats in raw milk, but research demonstrates that for those who tolerate dairy, raw milk is more nutritious than pasteurized and/or homogenized. Even some who are mildly lactose intolerant can consume raw milk safely, as it contains lactase.
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

PMAC is offline Member
    Please be careful. I was buying Raw Milk from a trusted source. I even did a bunch of research on their lab results with the health police. Everything was great until I got food poisoning from it (after a year of consumption) and I was sick for 3 weeks and it took me another two weeks to get over it. I am just now starting to workout again. I promised my wife I would not buy it again. Fortunately I can buy non homogenized, grass fed low heat pasteurized milk and have switched. I will never drink the raw again - just not worth the risk.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I've just been reading where to find raw milk sources near me in the UK for kefir making.

I found this site CLA Basics

and wondered if it could be a really good source of powerful anticancerous fats?
    Well, whole milk hasn't got that much fat in it—for all that so many people, including "Mr Paleo" himself have got themselves hysterical about it:

Most of teh fats in these dairy products are the BAD saturated kind!!!11

Loren Cordain, The Paleo Diet, Wiley, p. 50
    Consequently, if it's the fat you're after you're better off with butter or coconut oil.

However, raw milk has much else going for it. It does contain lactose, but if you're fermenting it that's no problem. It could contain a pathogen—but so can pasteurized milk—and, again, if you're fermenting it, you'll heat it first yourself, so that's no problem. I guess if you heat it you lose some of the benefit of its rawness by killing the beneficial bacteria and enzymes in it, but then again, if you're adding a culture to it, you're putting some of that back.

You're in Sussex? Here's one Sussex company that looks interesting. The milk's organic and bottled in glass, which is going to be more food-safe than plastic as well as being more environmentally-friendly.

Hook & Son Raw Milk, Hailsham, BN271ER

But maybe you're no in their catchment area.

If you can get it, milk from Jersey cows is what to go for. The gold standard is organic, grass-fed, unhomogenized, Jersey milk in returnable glass bottles.