Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Saturated fat is inflammatory? Say it isn't so! page

  1. #1
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510

    Saturated fat is inflammatory? Say it isn't so!

    Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm reading The Fat Resistance Diet at the moment as I want to learn everything I can about what people suggest for dealing with leptin resistance. The book talks about obesity as an inflammatory condition and how inflammation leads to leptin resistance. Makes sense to me since my sudden weight gain and excessive hunger began at the same time as a whole lot of inflammatory issues (joint soreness, wheezing etc).

    It is his recommendations for an anti-inflammatory diet that concern me. I think some of what he has to say is a bit off, and he doesn't seem to cover gluten and food intolerances unless that's in the toxins chapter which I haven't read yet. But he says one of the main inflammatory agents in the western diet is saturated fats. He does cover omega 6 versus omega 3. Have "studies shown that the amount of inflammation is proportional to the amount of saturated fat consumed"? Obviously I am hoping not!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  2. #2
    breadsauce's Avatar
    breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,118
    That doesn't sound right at all. If I were you - I'd read a different book!

  3. #3
    localad's Avatar
    localad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    370
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

  4. #4
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    Yeah, read that this morning, thanks.

    He also says saturated fat caused insulin resistance- "research has shown that insulin resistance is directly proportional to the amount of saturated fat in your tissues".

    He also says low carb contributes to leptin resistance.

    There are references, the above is a study into fatty acids and insulin resistance.

    I'm reading plenty of other books, but there is so little info about leptin resistance out there. I'm reading everything I can find and hoping to piece together a plan. However since everything I read is contradictory to everything else I read, I'm not getting very far!

    Got to go now, it's lunchtime, need to cook some bacon lol
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 05-09-2011 at 04:31 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  5. #5
    wildwabbit's Avatar
    wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    He also says saturated fat caused insulin resistance- "research has shown that insulin resistance is directly proportional to the amount of saturated fat in your tissues".
    Maybe there was a misreading of what he said above. Fat is stored within the body as saturated fat regardless of what form you eat it in (carbs converted into body fat, protein (those converted to glucose then into body fats), and fats). The more stored fat you build up in your body (i.e. the fatter you are), the more insulin resistant you body will be, then his statement will therefore typically be true. So that sentence of his is technically correct as long as its read exactly that way, and not that way of your interpretation.

    Because it is NOT the same thing as saying that *eating* saturated fat causes insulin resistance. It probably could if someone consumed lots of fat AND lots of carbs at the same time, but of course it depends on someone eating a seriously unbalanced diet. But it is misleading for an author to make that kind of statement without making the distinction and allow people to believe consuming saturated fats is the same thing as storing saturated fats without taking into account the metabolism of all macronutrients, which is what the Paleo/primal diets actually show us and help us avoid making the wrong choices in macronutrient balance.
    Last edited by wildwabbit; 05-09-2011 at 04:56 AM.

  6. #6
    Sue's Avatar
    Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,368
    Re saturated fat being inflammatory - he must be talking about arachidonic acid found in animal fats.

  7. #7
    Barb's Avatar
    Barb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    415
    Saturated fat in the forms that we eat (butter, animal fat, coconut oil, etc) is very stable and not prone to oxidation. Unsaturated fats are unstable and oxidized easily. Oxidized fats are VERY inflammatory. A couple of other books you might check out:

    Mastering Leptin
    Deep Nutrition - Why our Bodies Need Traditional Foods

    (and industrially extracted vegetable seed oils (soy, corn, canola etc) are NOT traditional foods!)

    The human body evolved very nicely eating a diet rich in saturated fats. The most inflammatory elements of diet are grains, unsaturated veg oils, not to mention the completely unnatural trans fats. Perhaps the reasoning behind this statement is that stored fat in the human body starts creating inflammatory molecules and raises the overall level of inflammation in the body -hence inflammation is proportional to the amount of saturated fat "in your tissues" - NOT the amount of saturated fat in your DIET.

  8. #8
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    Maybe there was a misreading of what he said above. Fat is stored within the body as saturated fat regardless of what form you eat it in (carbs converted into body fat, protein (those converted to glucose then into body fats), and fats). The more stored fat you build up in your body (i.e. the fatter you are), the more insulin resistant you body will be, then his statement will therefore typically be true. So that sentence of his is technically correct as long as its read exactly that way, and not that way of your interpretation.

    Because it is NOT the same thing as saying that *eating* saturated fat causes insulin resistance. It probably could if someone consumed lots of fat AND lots of carbs at the same time, but of course it depends on someone eating a seriously unbalanced diet. But it is misleading for an author to make that kind of statement without making the distinction and allow people to believe consuming saturated fats is the same thing as storing saturated fats without taking into account the metabolism of all macronutrients, which is what the Paleo/primal diets actually show us and help us avoid making the wrong choices in macronutrient balance.
    That's a good point. I need to check the reference and see what the study is actually about.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  9. #9
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    Saturated fat in the forms that we eat (butter, animal fat, coconut oil, etc) is very stable and not prone to oxidation. Unsaturated fats are unstable and oxidized easily. Oxidized fats are VERY inflammatory. A couple of other books you might check out:

    Mastering Leptin
    Deep Nutrition - Why our Bodies Need Traditional Foods

    (and industrially extracted vegetable seed oils (soy, corn, canola etc) are NOT traditional foods!)

    The human body evolved very nicely eating a diet rich in saturated fats. The most inflammatory elements of diet are grains, unsaturated veg oils, not to mention the completely unnatural trans fats. Perhaps the reasoning behind this statement is that stored fat in the human body starts creating inflammatory molecules and raises the overall level of inflammation in the body -hence inflammation is proportional to the amount of saturated fat "in your tissues" - NOT the amount of saturated fat in your DIET.
    Thanks, and I agree with everything you've said. Funnily enough those two books are the next two in my pile . I've already read The Leptin Diet which made a lot more sense and went much further into the science than this one, he noddy-ises everything so much that it's hard to assess it properly.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  10. #10
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    References:
    Saturated fat and inflammation
    Dietary fatty acids affect plasma markers of infla... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2004] - PubMed result
    Attenuation of inflammation with short-term dietar... [Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2004] - PubMed result
    Relation of dietary fat and fiber to elevation of ... [Am J Cardiol. 2003] - PubMed result

    Saturated fat and insulin resistance
    Effects of dietary fatty acids on insulin sensitiv... [Diabetes Obes Metab. 2004] - PubMed result "In humans, acute and prolonged effects of FAs on glucose-stimulated insulin secretion have been widely investigated as well as the effect of high-fat diets on insulin sensitivity and secretion and on the development of type 2 diabetes."
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •