Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Reverse" pemmican? page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

"Reverse" pemmican?

Primal Fuel
    I've been thinking about attempting a dehydrated meat/nut/berry concoction inspired by my first experience with PaleoKits. I know the closest thing would be pemmican but I was considering grinding the meat and berries together first, stirring crushed nuts in, and then dehydrating everything in the combined form instead of individually.

My only real question is how safe the dehydration will be with the ingredients combined vs in their individual forms a'la true pemmican. I suppose I could truly "cook" it at a low temp for a long period...

Anyone ever attempted something like this or any reason it wouldn't work?
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Paleobird Guest
    Check Diana Renata's Wilderness Childe blog (in her sig line). She makes exactly what you are describing and calls them Mookies (meat cookies). They are great.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Meat cookies????

OMG. That sounds almost as awesome as meatza!

(My non-paleo/primal family is totally jealous of meatza.)

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Check Diana Renata's Wilderness Childe blog (in her sig line). She makes exactly what you are describing and calls them Mookies (meat cookies). They are great.

Awesome! Thanks!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I have made a batch of pemmican before and I frequently make beef jerky, but I've never tried to make a mookie. I always try to get as much fat off my drying meat as possible though because that's the part that will go rancid. Let us know how that turns out.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I always try to get as much fat off my drying meat as possible though because that's the part that will go rancid.
    Yep. You cannot dehydrate fat (contains no water). Unrendered animal fat will spoil. Properly rendered fat has an incredibly long shelf life, but mixing it with raw meat would insulate the meat and keep it from drying properly I would think. This would be ok if you're eating the concoction within in a few days and keeping it in the fridge, but not so great for keeping. Which reminds me, I've got a block of pemmican that's over a year old in my fridge. I should probably eat it some time soon, haha.

GreenLightJerky is offline Senior Member
    I look forward to hearing the results as well.
    My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
    www.greenlightjerky.com

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Yep. You cannot dehydrate fat (contains no water). Unrendered animal fat will spoil. Properly rendered fat has an incredibly long shelf life, but mixing it with raw meat would insulate the meat and keep it from drying properly I would think. This would be ok if you're eating the concoction within in a few days and keeping it in the fridge, but not so great for keeping. Which reminds me, I've got a block of pemmican that's over a year old in my fridge. I should probably eat it some time soon, haha.
    True. You need something really lean. I made the mookies with ground bison and cranberries, seasoned with some Chinese five spice. They were great.

Well, this experiment is underway.

I made a "paste" of ground bison, blueberries, and pulverized macadamia nuts seasoned simply with S&P. The consistency was um...interesting. I tried the wax paper technique mentioned in Diana's recipe but the second sheet wouldn't separate so I had to scrape it off and then spread it on the cookie rack.

We will see.................

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Golf View Post
    Well, this experiment is underway.

I made a "paste" of ground bison, blueberries, and pulverized macadamia nuts seasoned simply with S&P. The consistency was um...interesting. I tried the wax paper technique mentioned in Diana's recipe but the second sheet wouldn't separate so I had to scrape it off and then spread it on the cookie rack.

We will see.................
    Hmmm. I'm not sure if adding the mac nuts may be a bit too much oil in the mix for dehydrating. It sounds tasty though. Let us know how it turns out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast