Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: build muscle lose fat page

iHAG is offline Junior Member

build muscle lose fat

so i am trying to preserve/build more muscle mass while eliminate body fat (goal to get a six pack eventually) what should i keep my macros at. i am pretty active i do some sort of cardio in the am and weight lift in the pm. what do you guys think? i weigh in at about 164 if that helps for a 5' 10 guy

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I think you should read the book.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

which book?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I love you.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

im confused

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    I think Grumpy's referring to The Primal Blueprint.
    Just a guess =)
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

BBam is offline Junior Member
    Read the book, read the site. Read Primal Blueprint Fitness. Then you'll understand.
    It's not about the macros or a specifically designed exercise.

You clearly aim to get a six-pack, a nice goal, but not easy to get to. First you have to balance your fitness level, and fitness is not a destination that you pack up some things and go there, it's more like a journey where you have to keep digging up and learning more.

But to summarize and save you some work. Go low-carb/high-fat/high-protein/no processed foods and go for compound exercises like chin-ups, squats, deadlifts. No need for abwork. Keep doing it and eventually you will get your six-pack.

Hope it helps.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBam View Post
    Read the book, read the site. Read Primal Blueprint Fitness. Then you'll understand.
    It's not about the macros or a specifically designed exercise.

You clearly aim to get a six-pack, a nice goal, but not easy to get to. First you have to balance your fitness level, and fitness is not a destination that you pack up some things and go there, it's more like a journey where you have to keep digging up and learning more.

But to summarize and save you some work. Go low-carb/high-fat/high-protein/no processed foods and go for compound exercises like chin-ups, squats, deadlifts. No need for abwork. Keep doing it and eventually you will get your six-pack.

Hope it helps.
    Well said.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    I was 164 at 5'11 seven weeks ago at 11% BF. Now I am below 9%, with the six-pack getting sharper by the week. Leangains, do the research. I don't even follow it to the letter macro-wise, because of Paleo (high fat). I think it's mostly the 16/8 fasting that does it. Lift hard, cut the cardio except for walking, and up your carbs postworkout.
    Last edited by RezH; 05-09-2011 at 09:41 AM.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As someone else said ...

Abs are made in the kitchen.
    It is generally fairly difficult to build muscle while losing fat, mostly because building muscle requires a surplus of protein, and surplus protein has several pathways for disposal including increased protein synthesis, increased thermogenesis, and increased gluconeogenesis. Ideally, all the protein you ingest would go towards increased synthesis, but you cannot control that. Increased thermogenesis is ok, because you will only find your body temperature rising, which is neither here nor there, unless your increased temperature interferes with other things, such as sleep, for example. Increased gluconeogenesis is not so great, because one way glucose is stored is as adipose tissue. Depending on your specific metabolism, meal composition, and a host of other factors, your body will apportion its protein intake to one of the disposal pathways, and it's pretty much a crap shoot as to how it will ultimately go. I certainly cannot predict this for you, and I doubt that you can either.

If, on the other hand, you are interested in maintaining muscle while losing fat, that is a far more achievable goal, and it primarily has to do with meal timing and the hormonal effects of intermittent fasting. In a nutshell, every time you have a meal, you raise insulin levels which shuts off the release of fat from your adipose tissue. This effect lasts on the order of six hours, at which point, you are back to subsisting on your adipose energy store ... unless you eat again, at which point, you go back to storing fat rather than consuming it. The name of the game, therefore is to not do this. Take a look at the links in my signature for the full details.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast