Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irregular periods? page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Maybe it's TMI but, I'm gonna go for it.

In high school I had very regular periods - every 28 days on the dot with no birth control. Then they got screwed up due to some drugs I was taking (prescription, not illegal or anything). Sometimes it would be 3-4 months before I'd get have my period. I was really angry with my doctor when I learned that one of the drugs could cause infertility in rare cases and "fired" her my freshman year of college, stopped taking all drugs.

And then started taking birth control, so I never knew if my period would've normalized again.

Well, recently (maybe 5 months ago or so) I stopped taking birth control because I didn't like the way the hormones messed with me. I feel much better now EXCEPT that I seem to be having the irregularity issue again. It seems to vary between 30-60 days so far, but who knows what is "normal" now?

Obviously I'm going to ask a doctor about it but I was wondering if any of you had any theories... I don't think it has to do with primal eating or any of that (and no, I haven't drastically lost weight or body fat so that's not an issue) but was wondering what "natural-minded" folks would think. I don't really want to talk to people who would say "well if it's normal on birth control, just start taking it again." (Especially since we might try to get pregnant in the next 6-12 months or so).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I think it's possible for your system to "normalise" again though I don' know how long it would take.

Are they gradually getting closer together, or more predictable, or anything hopeful?

misathemeb is offline Member

how ironic you ask this. i'm going to the doctor tomorrow about this! i had periods of 30-35days in high school which was normal for me then went on yaz for 2 years. i just got off it in april. i had 2 periods both around 50 days and haven't had a period for over 3 months now.

i'm getting a battery of tests done tomorrow so i'll let you know if i find out anything good! many things changed for me in these past 3 months. i ate 2 tbsp of flax meal every day in september (apparently phytoestrogens can cause an increase in prolactin), i stopped with the chronic cardio and only run 5-10miles weekly and lastly i elminated grains and started eating more PB (except i still do greek yogurt and occasional cheese). my appointment is at 130pm so i'll update later tomorrow evening!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

My ex-wife would go on BC on and off to control her endometriosis. She did not like how it messed with her either. She only took it to control the pain. The doctor told us we would not be able to have kids. Our son turns 5 in 5 days haha!

Anyways, she also had the same problem of fluctuations. They usually leveled out after a while. Sometimes up to a year. Exercise also helped a lot.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Hmm... I've noticed my periods have gotten a lot more irregular. I've never been on birth control. They're also very light (if anything.) Is there a general BF percentage that leads to less bleeding? I'm wondering if I've accidently hit that point being primal for these past three or four months...

animalcule is offline Senior Member

When you are on birth control, you are not having any 'periods' (shed of the endometrium following failure of released egg to implant 10-16 days after ovulation) at all when you stop your dosage for a week - just breakthrough bleeding from the sudden drop in hormones. Your body is in a state of pseudo-pregnancy for as long as you continue imbibing the artificial hormones. Obviously, this is not conducive to long-term functioning of your reproductive system, or to normal hormone levels.

I would stop with the BC if you are planning on getting pregnant any time soon. I have known women who had highly irregular or absent cycles (sometimes with infertility) for years after going off BC.

I have never been on BC, and some fluctuation is normal for me, more as I get older (even though I am eating a lot more and better now than as a teenager). Before I was 21 I had 27-31 days cycles. Now I have 29-34 day cycles, with one that's 37 to 42 days a couple times a year..

animal did you even read my post? I'm not taking BC anymore and don't plan to again. I hate it.

NoMo, not really any more predictable or closer together, though I did feel a little PMSy this morning (not moody or anything but I get this flu-ish feeling in my legs typically the week before my period, so I'm hopeful it might be soon... we'll have to see though.

misa please let me know what your doctor says!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

animalcule is offline Senior Member

Oh, I thought you might consider perhaps on going back on to try to regulate things based on this comment:

"don't really want to talk to people who would say "well if it's normal on birth control, just start taking it again."

I hope your doctor doesn't say they same thing.. they so often think the solution to any problems with your cycle is taking artificial hormones that stop your natural functioning altogether.

Look at my journal for the answer to this mystery.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Congratulations on the pregnancy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast