Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes to the consumption of grains or just a primal propaganda? page

greekoo is offline Junior Member

Yes to the consumption of grains or just a primal propaganda?

Shop Now
    Hey I just read those article that supports that paleo men and especially spartans ate grains and we should, too or that the evidence we have is too little to convince ourselves that paleo men didn't eat grains,beans and legums. Here's the links:
    Code:
    http://thespartandiet.blogspot.com/2010/10/its-official-grains-were-part-of.html
    Code:
    http://www.leighpeele.com/the-paleo-diet-fad-religion-or-solution?ref=nf#
    What's your opinion on this subject?
    Last edited by greekoo; 05-08-2011 at 12:21 AM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Spartans were agricultural. So were many at the same time. What's your point?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Nion is offline Senior Member
    There are also people that eat poop, doesn't make it GOOD for you.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    Spartans were after the Mesopotamian era of domestication and cereal grain agriculture. They are nearly the same as pre 18th century US agriculture, better than S.A.D. but not nearly what primal is.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Last I checked the Spartans weren't in the paleolithic era. Regardless, the science, and more importantly, my body tells me the grains are bad. But feel free to conduct a self experiment and let us know your findings.

avelin is offline Senior Member
    The source articles cited simply push back earliest use of grains - but by up to 105000 years ago. I don't have a problem with this as I've read 'Clan of the Cave Bear' (lol) but I've also looked at some of the research and early people collecting grains where they naturally occurred is not a problem for me.

What isn't looked at is the difference between evolutionary advantage and health. Just because some humans used grains, which might have allowed them to survive, and thus reproduce, in no way means that these people were healthier than other groups of humans. In any case, our dentition and digestive system support theories of meat eating (and cooking) over grains, and investigation of the content of grains, and our digestive capability, again support theories of lack of evolutionary means to process them.

The spartan diet looks a lot like WAPF, seems to have been stimulated by the movie and emphasises clean food and strength. It's kind of like a clayton's paleo.
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

chia is offline Senior Member
    the grains of today are NOT the same as the grains of hundreds of years ago..... whereas even 100 years ago....although not 'primal', wheat gluten, specifically, could have been tolerated.. today, the body isn't recognizing what it has morphed into due to man's intervention...and gluten intolerances are on the rise.....it's pretty sad what man has done to our food supply...watched a documentary last night on Monsanto...it sends chills up my spine what this company has done and will continue to do.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chia View Post
    the grains of today are NOT the same as the grains of hundreds of years ago..... whereas even 100 years ago....although not 'primal', wheat gluten, specifically, could have been tolerated.. today, the body isn't recognizing what it has morphed into due to man's intervention...and gluten intolerances are on the rise.....it's pretty sad what man has done to our food supply...watched a documentary last night on Monsanto...it sends chills up my spine what this company has done and will continue to do.
    Quite. Something like modern cheap wholegrain bread bears no resemblance to what bread was in those days.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Wow, there is so much logic fail in this thread it's hard to know where to begin. First of all, ancient wheat had gluten and wheat germ agglutinin in spades, and certainly caused the same issues in the distant past as it does now. Archaeogy has proven this. Non GMO wheat, soy, etc. is to be avoided. Monsanto is a separate and tragic issue. Second, the Spartans have nothing whatsoever to do with Paleo anything - and why would anyone think they would? Third, who cares if anyone ate grains in the past? They are not good for you, and we are not designed to handle them very well. That is all. Sheesh.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

JordanS is offline Junior Member
    Kurt Harris said it best.. because something is tolerated doesnt mean its optimal. Why try to include something that "may not be that bad" when clearly there are better choices?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast